2006?

You must have missed Magic '97.  Not to mention a couple of Spirit's shows during the 80s which, while not specifically New Orleans themed, did feature a lot of the same kind of music.

I didn't "miss" it. Just failed to clarify. And since I'm such a nice guy, I'll do it for you... awww. Yes, Magic did a similar themed show in 97. Carnivale was neat. It would be cool to see one of the big boys do it and do it well. Plus the idea hasn't been used in, what, nine years now? There's a lot of material out there for a themed show such as this, and certainly a number of ways to perform it. There ya go, happy?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the three (four, was it?) hurricanes that hit south Florida this past year, my marching band did a show called "Category V" in the fall/winter of '04. We chose the show before they happened, but the season was still going on while they were all hitting. You don't need cheesy G.E. to produce a show like that, just music that can sort of recreate the experience somewhat, and some sort of relevance in the guard. We didn't have narration or props or anything, and if someone did do a show themed after Katrina, I don't think it'd need it either.

As soon as I saw this thread, I thought of that show. I saw you at states and it was simply amazing. The emotion conveyed through the music was just... Goosebumps. Kudos to you and your band for performing such a great show. (And Bluecoats of course!)

Back on topic, however, I think that this would be a fine line, much like Cadets' 9/11 tribute... Some will think it's cheesy, some will be bawling like babies in the stands- but with a disaster of this magnitude, I would say it's better to let it be for now.

Edited by thekelinator

I wonder if any corps or indoor guards will put together a show to reflect on the devestation those felt by Katrina.

Feh. Isn't that kind of high-minded pretension what WGI is for?... B)

Edited by mobrien

I didn't "miss" it.  Just failed to clarify.  And since I'm such a nice guy, I'll do it for you... awww.  Yes, Magic did a similar themed show in 97.  Carnivale was neat.  It would be cool to see one of the big boys do it and do it well.  Plus the idea hasn't been used in, what, nine years now?  There's a lot of material out there for a themed show such as this, and certainly a number of ways to perform it.  There ya go, happy?

Jeez ... find a cockroach in your Honey Bunches of Oats this morning, didja?

Jeez ... find a cockroach in your Honey Bunches of Oats this morning, didja?

No, but I did find your ad-hominem comment snide and arrogant. Plus the apparent sarcasm in my post was an attempt to lighten up the mood. IF that offended you... cheer up emo kid!!! :) Happy can be fun too, ha ha ha...

BACK on topic... I had forgotten about Spirit, that was a pretty cool show too. It's certainly been a while having a show that can capture the color and flavor of New Orleans. What better time than now to celebrate it? Ideas anyone? The guard costumes could be done Madri Gras like, giant headresses and awesome masks. Creepy VooDoo section and stuff (maybe even a thriller dance in there? haha). So yeah, which corps do ya'll think could pull it off? Musical selections? Definately a neat idea that hasn't been used in the big arena in quite some time.