chances of making it?

gjdavistuba

Hello all. I am a 15 year old tuba player, and have been playing tuba for about a year. I have recently become VERY interested in drum corps. I love marching and playing music in general, and I am going to be trying out for Carolina Crown in November for the 2006 season. I can play things such as the Holst Suites and other grade 6 material, and i have a good sound. I have a very good work ethic, and would do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING to be able to march in Crown. Do I honestly have the requirements to be in a corps like Crown? I just really don't know if I have the musical ability required or not to be there. Thanks in advance for your answers/ comments.

-The anonymous tuba player.

If you feel confident, by all means give it a try. Alot of people cut themselves by simply not showing up. If you happen not ot be what the staff is looking for look at other corps. Find a 2/3 to give you some experience. Either way, keep at it. Keep the attitude right, and you can be as successful as you want to.

Hey I am a contra player for spirit of JSU, 2005 was my first season. Now they don't care how long you've been playing for as long as you can play, and most important you must have a very good attitude and work ethic.

good luck on you audition.

Hey I am a contra player for spirit of JSU, 2005 was my first season.  Now they don't care how long you've been playing for as long as you can play, and most important you must have a very good attitude and work ethic.

good luck on you audition.

Hey, gugag89, you guys stayed at my school, Lake Norman High School in Mooresville, N.C.....i got to watch you guys practice for like 8 hours! Honestly watching you guys is what inspired me to think about trying out...thanks!

Give it a try. The worst that'll happen is that you'll get cut. And if you don't audition, then you have ZERO chance of making the corps. You never know until you try. And if you don't make it for '06, you've got plenty of years left and you'll learn a lot at the camp about what exactly they're looking for. You also might give a thought to joining a D2/3 corps or a DCA corps if you don't make Crown and then trying out again the year after. I say go for it, but if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. Do your best, practice your butt off, and remember that all the other auditionees will be just as nervous as you are! Finally, remember that when you're at that audition camp, your attitude can count for almost as much as your musical ability.

Edited by Orpheus

Show the staff that you want to be there when you're at the audition camp. You may not be the best player out of everyone there, but if you've got the maturity, social skills, and overall desire and motivation, they would most likely take you over some slick ace who thinks they are everything and then some.

Just a little advice from someone who's been in your shoes. Good luck and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

You should be fine to make it. I've sponsored a few 15yo's in the past and they made it into Troopers and Colts just fine. I started marching when I was 17, and was even part of a quartet at 18. I would have started sooner, but I didn't even know that it existed until I was 17.

As long as you're not physically broke. Bad knees, back, feet, shoulders, whatever. And have a good attitude, you should be fine. Even if you don't make it in the tuba line(just sounds wrong saying that instead of contra) you can probably make it in some other corps marching position. Cymbal, Euph, Mello, Guard, Pit, where ever.

Shadow_7

We (Crown) only had ONE 15 year old in the hornline this year....GO FOR IT!!!!! You might want to start lifting some weights.... Those King contras look pretty dang big! I wouldnt know cause I play trumpet... but Crown has a GREAT hornline and you should give it a shot! If you have any questions feel free to ask me anything and I hope to see you in November.

Edited by crownsop04