Open vs Class A.

Kansan

As I restart what I left behind before leaving the states for Iraq, I am debating what to present to my peeps.

I know we want to eventually compete in DCA Central. I'm not really sure if we want to go Class A or Open Class. I'd probably prefer Open Class. Since I'm still in the "Sand Box" I don't have my DCA Rules handy. What's the advantages and disadvantages of each?

If we are not ready for a full blown field show in 2006, is it worth it to travel to the East Coast for Mini Corps?

Your answeres and suggestions will give me something to occupy my mind while in the Guard Tower on Midnight shift. :worthy: Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kansan

It's always been my feeling that...

You should be what you are and not let someone else's measuring stick influence the decision making process for your own organization.

There's no magical threshold you cross at the 65th member, someone besides the people in your organization came up with that number. I've also seen 35 member horn lines knock on the championship door and seen 50 member horn lines struggle to make finals. In the early stages (first five years) you have to make your decisions rather insularly, meaning that every decisions has to support the core principles of the organization and not necessarily meet anyone elses bars for achievement or growth standard.

A great example was that of Frontier from Dallas who elected to perform in Open Class this year with a Class A sized corps. In this, their first year, it was their approach that there is more benefit to being seen by a greater number of fans by performing later in the day, than by performing in Class A earlier in the afternoon. There was an obvious competitive trade-off for this, but to Frontier admin this was a reasonable trade off.

My personal recommendation is just to always be true to yourself and to your corps. Refrain from fiddling with the chemistry of your corps to be able to perform at a certain classification.

Hope this helps.

Godspeed on your journey home.

If we are not ready for a full blown field show in 2006, is it worth it to travel to the East Coast for Mini Corps?

Why wouldn't it be worth it to travel to the Coast for Mini-Corps?

You have nothing to lose, and you'll only start exposing your corps. People come from far and wide to be at DCA Championship weekend, and with the turnout this year for the minicorps show... you'd only be helping your cause!!! You could also participate in the I & E competition too if you have individuals willing to do so.

You can also use Finals weekend as a recruiting tool. Set up a booth and be ready to explain about your corps.. if there's a booth, people will visit it!!!!

But making your corps known is the key, as well as getting to know others in DCA. You can visit with the corps and talk to the members and directors and ask any questions you might have.

Hopefully we'll see your corps, if not minicorps at some point over the finals weekend next year, if not in the years to come!!!!

It's always been my feeling that...

You should be what you are and not let someone else's measuring stick influence the decision making process for your own organization.

There's no magical threshold you cross at the 65th member, someone besides the people in your organization came up with that number.  I've also seen 35 member horn lines knock on the championship door and seen 50 member horn lines struggle to make finals.  In the early stages (first five years) you have to make your decisions rather insularly, meaning that every decisions has to support the core principles of the organization and not necessarily meet anyone elses bars for achievement or growth standard.

A great example was that of Frontier from Dallas who elected to perform in Open Class this year with a Class A sized corps.  In this, their first year, it was their approach that there is more benefit to being seen by a greater number of fans by performing later in the day, than by performing in Class A earlier in the afternoon.  There was an obvious competitive trade-off for this, but to Frontier admin this was a reasonable trade off.

My personal recommendation is just to always be true to yourself and to your corps.  Refrain from fiddling with the chemistry of your corps to be able to perform at a certain classification.

Hope this helps.

Godspeed on your journey home.

Thanks and thanks. :)

Why wouldn't it be worth it to travel to the Coast for Mini-Corps? 

You have nothing to lose, and you'll only start exposing your corps.  People come from far and wide to be at DCA Championship weekend, and with the turnout this year for the minicorps show... you'd only be helping your cause!!!  You could also participate in the I & E competition too if you have individuals willing to do so.

You can also use Finals weekend as a recruiting tool.  Set up a booth and be ready to explain about your corps.. if there's a booth, people will visit it!!!!  

But making your corps known is the key, as well as getting to know others in DCA.  You can visit with the corps and talk to the members and directors and ask any questions you might have.

Hopefully we'll see your corps, if not minicorps at some point over the finals weekend next year, if not in the years to come!!!!

Thanks for the hint.

You might see us in 2006 Mini, but for sure in 2007.

So far, everyone I've talked to from DCA has been real encouraging. I, for one, am looking forward to getting back to performing.

Edited by Kansan