Sr. Drum Corps.....in Seattle of all places

I think that more than anything, you need to keep building your infrastructure and make the corps base strong. After that, you can decide whether to bring it to DCA. I would hate to see another corps "go by the wayside".

Keep up the good work. :wall:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that more than anything, you need to keep building your infrastructure and make the corps base strong.  After that, you can decide whether to bring it to DCA.  I would hate to see another corps "go by the wayside".

Keep up the good work.  :wall:

You speak wise words.

Frontier's Board has been tossing around the idea of making one of our big weekend trips the NW tour one upcoming summer... hopefully by then the projects in OR and BC will be touring :)

We would love to have you. I bet our moderate climate would provide a pleasant relief from those hot southern days. You could come up here for all days, and tour your way back to Texas

Compete? And risk out undefeated record? :(

How bout we plan a west coast I&E competition somewhere in Oregon. ^OO^

My name is Kevin Nordeen, and I'm the Drum Coordinator of the Pacific Alliance Drumline. While I've enjoyed reading all the posts, I feel that I must clear up a few things to keep from unintentionally misleading people.

While our name may say, "Drum and Bugle Corps", it really is not, in the traditional sense of the term. (We thought the term "Performance Group" wouldn't work, and since we are mostly Drum Corps Alumni, it seemed appropriate.) We are in fact, seperate entities that get together a few times a year and do a few parades. We then go our seperate ways, then later we decide if we want to do it again.

I understand how this may look more than it is, with the photos on our website. The Drumline grew (some old PA alumni came back, and we got new blood as well), and proved that it is still a force to be reckoned with, (we play a lot of "old school" parts in our streetbeat "cadence" which nobody plays anymore), and the Hornline and Guard represented themselves with pride and executed very well.

However, when people say, "go to DCA", or things of the like, it seems (to me), that people are getting the wrong message. I appreciate what some people have said about the growing process, but the plain fact is, we (the drumline) aren't gong to do any shows, or any minicorps. I loved what Rick Burns said, when he mentioned that he only spoke for the Horns. Thank you Rick. This should be whom Steve Baretich is speaking for as well. Steve and I have a different opinion on what "fun" is.

The simple matter is, in the Drumline, the core is a bunch of old guys, (age outs from the '70's), who want to do this now, because in some time, (don't know when), our bodies will give out, and then we can't do the Torchlight Parade anymore. Could be 5 or 6 years. (The Torchlight Parade is the biggest parade in the Northwest. It has been the Drumline's staple for 21 years, and it our DCA.) I really don't know what will come after that. Since I own the drums, I may just put them on e-bay, or if there's a strong enough presence in the Drumline, maybe we'll keep our hands in it in some way. We'll have to wait and see.

I like the idea of the Horns wanting to do Minicorps, since they are geared for Horns. Besides, it's hard (drumwise) to get people to do the gigs we do. However, there was a lot of energy in the Drumline this year, (maybe since we know we are running out of time), and all the hard work and dedication paid off.

While the Drumline wants to have fun, we know that we have to work hard, and yes practice at home as well. (We have to play a streetbeat as well as the music, and the chops, execution thing too.) For us, the fun part comes when we make a mistake at practice, and can laugh it off, but we know we are going to bust our ##### so it won't happen again. The funnest part is when it all comes together and it gets cleaned up. The crowd goes crazy, but the best part is the fact that we leave it all on the ground. So speaking for the Drumline, if you want to play with us, be prepared to WORK. (I must also say, that I also got to see some old friends who came back to the drumine. We had 7 Snares from our old 1984 Pacific Alliance Snareline. It was almost magical.) I also had the opportunity to play Snare the last few years with the Renegades in parades. Their Drumline has the same type of mindset as ours. A great bunch of people. I can't say enough about them. But they are a Drum Corps in the traditional sense of the word. We are not.

I hope this clears things up. Thank you for your time.

Time for me to chime in

ding ding ding

all great comments on here and I'm proud to say that The Northwest Youth Music Assn. (parent of Cascades) already has a close working relationship with Pacific Alliance...

That being said... these are a great bunch of drum corps nuts - out to relive a bit of their youth... cost and miles are the great equalizer and both would be against a major competing corps... BELIEVE ME... it is most difficult even for Cascades... Geography is against us - even if it may be the best place on earth to live...

For now, these guys really seem to have their head on straight and will not do anything to alienate their current membership (which sports a lot of gray hair)

They look and act far more like an alumni corps than a competing corps...

That being said... as one of the creators of the mini corps contest - that would be a wonderful opportunity for anyone to do... They would need 12 to 21 performers... for the most part 19 horns, a set drummer and a conductor are what I recommend...

all participating would have to pay their own way - I could not recommend one penny be spent out of the corps budget...

but I will GUARANTEE a wonderful time will be had by all...

and ABSOLUTELY no amps allowed in mini corps