Is it really an Alumni Corps if.....

GABA

I just can't believe that this has gone on for 10 pages now!!

I'm outta here...........gotta go practice!! :)

And practise you MUST....it's been a long time hasn't it Mr. Brady ?? :sshh:

The way I look at it is, as long as you marched in A drum corps you're ALUMNI, RIGHT !!! :blink:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I look at it is, as long as you marched in A drum corps you're ALUMNI, RIGHT !!! :beer:

True! You for example are an alumnus of the Dutch Boy Cadets. I’m a SCV alumnus. If I were to round up another thirty SCV alumni and you could gather twenty-nine Dutch Boy alums it wouldn’t be proper to call our corps the SCV Alumni Corps or the Dutch Boy Cadets Alumni Corps.

True! You for example are an alumnus of the Dutch Boy Cadets. I’m a SCV alumnus. If I were to round up another thirty SCV alumni and you could gather twenty-nine Dutch Boy alums it wouldn’t be proper to call our corps the SCV Alumni Corps or the Dutch Boy Cadets Alumni Corps.

:feednotroll:

Brandt Crocker in 2007 will lean over his microphone and bark out five words that will send chills through the attendees and participants alike....

"From Anaheim, California.....The Kingsmen"

Be honest would you want to hear it any other way?

Nuff said

Brandt Crocker in 2007 will lean over his microphone and bark out five words that will send chills through the attendees and participants alike....

"From Anaheim, California.....The Kingsmen"

Be honest would you want to hear it any other way?

Nuff said

Perfect!!!

(see post #95)

In today’s society telling lies seems to be an accepted practice. This is a very sad state of affairs. When I marched the DC environment was all about history, tradition and honor. Do you think you are honoring your organization by calling your efforts the Kingsmen Alumni Corps when they are truly not? Would it lessen the experience if you performed as AK celebration corps?

Wow, I feel like these comments are pretty insulting to corps like Kingsmen and Two-Seven who worked/are working so hard to field an alumni corps. Re: Two-Seven, I will admit to being somewhat surprised when I found out that some of the members had not marched in the corps before. The only "disappointment" I can recall feeling is that, had I known that at the time, I would've absolutely loved to march in that group! (Same with Kingsmen; the problem is that this would be a huge geographical/financial challenge for me.)

I don't consider it a "lie" that they call themselves an alumni corps, but accept members from outside the original organization. As others have explained, multiple times, the vast majority of members are alumni, and they are the organizational nucleus behind these alumni corps. Why not invite others outside the organization, who obviously yearned for many years to wear that uniform and be a part of that tradition, to be a part of it now?

Maybe it's because I marched in a corps that had to accept so many members outside Toronto, and outside Canada, to stay in existence, so I understand what it's like. I'm one of many Americans who marched in a Canadian corps; if Oakland hadn't had those "outside" members, the corps couldn't have survived as long as it did. Do you consider it a "lie" that with so many Americans marching, we carried a Canadian flag and called ourselves the Etobicoke-Oakland Crusaders from Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada? Do you think we somehow betrayed our history, tradition and honor by doing so?

:feednotroll:

Agreed!

Wow, I feel like these comments are pretty insulting to corps like Kingsmen and Two-Seven who worked/are working so hard to field an alumni corps. Re: Two-Seven, I will admit to being somewhat surprised when I found out that some of the members had not marched in the corps before. The only "disappointment" I can recall feeling is that, had I known that at the time, I would've absolutely loved to march in that group! (Same with Kingsmen; the problem is that this would be a huge geographical/financial challenge for me.)

I don't consider it a "lie" that they call themselves an alumni corps, but accept members from outside the original organization. As others have explained, multiple times, the vast majority of members are alumni, and they are the organizational nucleus behind these alumni corps. Why not invite others outside the organization, who obviously yearned for many years to wear that uniform and be a part of that tradition, to be a part of it now?

Maybe it's because I marched in a corps that had to accept so many members outside Toronto, and outside Canada, to stay in existence, so I understand what it's like. I'm one of many Americans who marched in a Canadian corps; if Oakland hadn't had those "outside" members, the corps couldn't have survived as long as it did. Do you consider it a "lie" that with so many Americans marching, we carried a Canadian flag and called ourselves the Etobicoke-Oakland Crusaders from Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada? Do you think we somehow betrayed our history, tradition and honor by doing so?

There was never any insult intended. I have nothing but admiration for the people who are reforming the Kingsmen. The issue is it a Kingsmen Alumni Corps? They had an option to limit membership to only Kingsmen former members, which would make them the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. They chose to allow all comers which would make them the Kingsmen. I really can’t see the all fired importance in calling it an alumni corps. Is there something derogatory about being the Kingsmen?

The fact that members come from all over the country (world) to join SCV does not make it any less SCV. I lived in San Jose which is about four miles away from Santa Clara. I have no problem claiming to be an SCV alumnus, but I have a big problem with someone who marched with the San Jose Knight Raiders claiming to be SCV alumni, “because I always wanted to march SCV.”

What I saw in 94 was not the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps, what I did see was the 94 rebirth of the 27th Lancers. A corps made up of vets (the alumni) and rookies (the rest). I can’t see how losing the term “alumni” takes anything away from that wonderful performance. I look forward to seeing the 07 rebirth of the Kingsmen!!!

There was never any insult intended. I have nothing but admiration for the people who are reforming the Kingsmen. The issue is it a Kingsmen Alumni Corps? They had an option to limit membership to only Kingsmen former members, which would make them the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. They chose to allow all comers which would make them the Kingsmen. I really can’t see the all fired importance in calling it an alumni corps. Is there something derogatory about being the Kingsmen?

The fact that members come from all over the country (world) to join SCV does not make it any less SCV. I lived in San Jose which is about four miles away from Santa Clara. I have no problem claiming to be an SCV alumnus, but I have a big problem with someone who marched with the San Jose Knight Raiders claiming to be SCV alumni, “because I always wanted to march SCV.”

What I saw in 94 was not the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps, what I did see was the 94 rebirth of the 27th Lancers. A corps made up of vets (the alumni) and rookies (the rest). I can’t see how losing the term “alumni” takes anything away from that wonderful performance. I look forward to seeing the 07 rebirth of the Kingsmen!!!

Maybe you need a bullhorn in the ear to tell you ptr250, but I think you made your point and most who have read it understand it, but to utilize insults and insinuations to make your opinion makes you know better than a rabid talk radio host....you lost any credibility you had with me by sending your even more insulting generic email to me, which was a copy of one of your posts and I believe an attempt at an apology....you can keep your apology and ramble on if you want.....It is childish for you to pursue this topic any longer, although it is your complete right....I have not heard from GABA, who authored the original topic,.....although he and I disagreed, It was done in a way that upholds respect,....now while you did not disrespect me personally,...you definitely...with or without intention disrespected the Kingsmen name calling into question our honor and integrity! B)

Edited by felixh