Is it really an Alumni Corps if.....

GABA

Wow! This cat went to the "CB" School of Social Irritation, I'm thinking.

Calling the efforts of The Kingsmen Alumni Corps bogus? Them's serious fighting words.

Would you call the Royal Airs a mere "tribute" corps because so many members DIDN'T march with the original and revered unit? I still call them an Alumni Corps, perhaps that's my mis-label.

(PS: Don't tell, but there was at least one real bona fide Kingsmen marching in the percussion line....what was he doing? Sorry, rhetorical question. He was honoring a heckuva wonderful corps. And guess what......they were a dead corps, too! You call that a "ghost corps" or what?

Count Basie doesn't lead the f***ing band any more and Freddy Green ain't there either.....mostly college kids.......they don't call it the Count Basie Alumni Orchestra....but I see the "Kid From Red Bank's" name on the bandstands!")

Re: The Kingsmen. Some of our most beloved brothers and sisters in that corps have passed away, should we NOT fill their spots? Would that honor their memory less? OR should there be a Kingsmen Alumni Corps that feels the best way to honor our "missing" is to put the corps back on the field in the best tradition of The Kingsmen?

You work on the nomenclature issues. WE, on the other hand, will be the folks out there on the field, somewhere around 300 strong, and we WILL be representing the best traditions of THE KINGSMEN....if anybody who even contemplates donning KINGSMEN BLUE as a "lark" and is not willing to put in the efforts that THE KINGSMEN have been historically known and revered for.....well, just don't show up. We have no time for that sort of attitude.

Jeez! I can't believe this guy! How deep is that bug up there? Even if you are technically correct in your nomenclature, why bring it up? Did you feel you were being deceived somehow? You know the call was legitimate and right in your grille up-front when the Corps Directors invited "interested parties" who had never worn The Kingsmen uniform in the past to come march with us......nobody hid anything from you, right?

Would you gripe if some guys from The Anaheim Scouts marched in a Kingsmen Cadet uniform? How about me? I wore a teal colored satin uniform blouse in 67.........said KINGSMEN on the truck and on the guard flags, tho.....never marched in a Kingsmen Cadet uniform.....I FINALLY GET MY CHANCE!

Think I much care whether somebody questions whether that monster out there blowing the skin off his skull and moving concrete stadiums back a dozen yards is "really" The Kingsmen?

Sorry.....another rhetorical question. That means it doesn't really require an answer because the answer is obvious.

So, sit down, shut up and enjoy yourself.....it'll go a lot better for you if you give it a go, Mate!

Come find me after our performance and tell me what you think then....if you're still stuck on Alumni issues, maybe we can have a little talk about it, eh?

RON HOUSLEY

67 Anaheim Kingsmen

07 KINGSMEN ALUMNI CORPS

I think the guy is just mad because the Kingsmen beat the Vanguard in 1972 and the Vanguard aren't the 1st DCI champs!!!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn’t start the thread, but the question poised was “is it really an alumni corps if…outsiders are allowed to march?”

And the answer is…. NO!

You can kick your feet; hold your breath until your face turn blue scream to the top of your lungs “everybody else does it” and the answer will still be NO!

When I saw the 2-7 “alumni corps” I was truly impressed how they were able to gather so many of their former members to march. I felt a little duped when I found out that not all the people on the field were alumni of 2-7. Sort of like going to see a classic rock band and discover all but one member are “new”. IMO they have become nothing more than a cover band. Here’s a question for you, will it still be an alumni corps if there is not a single alumni from the original corps marching? It could happen sooner than you think with the Royal Aires. None of those who have flamed me have answered a very simple question, why is it so important to be called an alumni corps. Here is another one, it has been stated on this board that you are going to field a 300 member corps and only 17 percent will be non-Kingsmen alumni. Would it diminish your performance if you only marched 260 true Kingsmen alumni? Maybe it’s the old DC ego – competitive nature- rearing its ugly head. You want to out do the 2-7 “alumni” corps. Let me tell you it can’t be done! It was an awesome performance done over a decade ago. It was truly a marvelous production just as I’m sure yours will be!

As I have stated before I really don’t care what you call yourself! The only thing that truly matters is you go out and perform as Kingsmen! Have fun, blow the lights out and remind, introduce the DC world to what a glorious past you represent!!!

I think the guy is just mad because the Kingsmen beat the Vanguard in 1972 and the Vanguard aren't the 1st DCI champs!!!!!

Nah, Paul has a different way of looking at things as is his right. However he, along with those of us who marched in SCV in '72, have never denied the fact that we "sucked royal" finals night of the first DCI. We used it all up during prelims as can be attested by our prelim score. Kingsmen turned it on at the right time and we drug our show through the mud that night. If we hadn't had such a lousy show that night could we have won? I think it was possible, but we'll never know. As for being mad at Kingsmen? No, I don't think so. We will always be mad at ourselves, no one else...

...However he, along with those of us who marched in SCV in '72, have never denied the fact that we "sucked royal" finals night of the first DCI. We used it all up during prelims as can be attested by our prelim score. Kingsmen turned it on at the right time and we drug our show through the mud that night. If we hadn't had such a lousy show that night could we have won? I think it was possible, but we'll never know. As for being mad at Kingsmen? No, I don't think so. We will always be mad at ourselves, no one else...

So true!!!

I didn’t start the thread, but the question poised was “is it really an alumni corps if…outsiders are allowed to march?”

And the answer is…. NO!

You can kick your feet; hold your breath until your face turn blue scream to the top of your lungs “everybody else does it” and the answer will still be NO!

When I saw the 2-7 “alumni corps” I was truly impressed how they were able to gather so many of their former members to march. I felt a little duped when I found out that not all the people on the field were alumni of 2-7. Sort of like going to see a classic rock band and discover all but one member are “new”. IMO they have become nothing more than a cover band. Here’s a question for you, will it still be an alumni corps if there is not a single alumni from the original corps marching? It could happen sooner than you think with the Royal Aires. None of those who have flamed me have answered a very simple question, why is it so important to be called an alumni corps. Here is another one, it has been stated on this board that you are going to field a 300 member corps and only 17 percent will be non-Kingsmen alumni. Would it diminish your performance if you only marched 260 true Kingsmen alumni? Maybe it’s the old DC ego – competitive nature- rearing its ugly head. You want to out do the 2-7 “alumni” corps. Let me tell you it can’t be done! It was an awesome performance done over a decade ago. It was truly a marvelous production just as I’m sure yours will be!

As I have stated before I really don’t care what you call yourself! The only thing that truly matters is you go out and perform as Kingsmen! Have fun, blow the lights out and remind, introduce the DC world to what a glorious past you represent!!!

Wow in one sentence you say "it can't be done" and in the next you say "introduce the DC world to what a glorious past you represent"? Did I forget my medication?, or did you forget yours?

[

Paul, that's good enough for me. By the way, SCV did have an excellent show in 1972. That was the first time I ever saw the Vanguard and I think it was the first year for their new uniforms. We were in the stands at the Kingsmen's show at La Palma Stadium in Anaheim. That was also my first time seeing the Troopers, whom I had totally lost my heart to. I was so excited I had a major stomach ache. Quite a night...

Edited by FHBob

ok, maybe it's just me but isn't "representing a glorious past" exactly what makes it an alumni corps ... cuz I'm thinking that if you respect the uniform and it's history you can "represent" without having worn it before

So you can’t introduce or remind the DC world of your glorious past without outdoing 2-7. Someone get a ladder this guy’s bulb has gone out!

I would like to make something clear! This topic has nothing to do with the Kingsmen effort per se. It applies to all groups who call themselves “alumni of a certain corps” when they truly are not.

Don't like it! Go to Websters and ask them to change the definition of alumni!

ok, maybe it's just me but isn't "representing a glorious past" exactly what makes it an alumni corps ... cuz I'm thinking that if you respect the uniform and it's history you can "represent" without having worn it before

A person can definitely represent and honor the traditions, history of the uniform and the organization it represents, but you can’t be an alumnus unless you have worn it before. What we are talking about is the definition of a word – activity. Seems petty, but if we allow words to change their meaning at anyone’s whim then language itself is meaningless. Tribute corps is a much more accurate description of these units.

In websters it only refers to schools