Is it really an Alumni Corps if.....

GABA

There are a good number of Alumni Corps out there. To my knowledge, there is only one that requires that all performers be former Marching members, and that is SCV. All other Alumni corps (to my knowledge) allow outsiders.

Perhaps it is incorrect usage of the term from a technical standpoint, but it is the standard apellation for these types of corps. I personally think it is best to be mellow about terminology, otherwise I would be all worked up of the fact that they are still called Drum and Bugle Corps. Heck, I call tissues Kleenex and cotton swabs Q-Tips.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Thank You! :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a good number of Alumni Corps out there. To my knowledge, there is only one that requires that all performers be former Marching members, and that is SCV. All other Alumni corps (to my knowledge) allow outsiders.

Perhaps it is incorrect usage of the term from a technical standpoint, but it is the standard apellation for these types of corps. I personally think it is best to be mellow about terminology, otherwise I would be all worked up of the fact that they are still called Drum and Bugle Corps. Heck, I call tissues Kleenex and cotton swabs Q-Tips.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Thanks Chris. A voice of reason. Paul, you need to get in to town, Bro. Seriously. I don't want to get in to character assasination, but you are behaving like a frigg'n tool. Let it go.

Too much caffeine, not enough psychotropics...

How about this, "The Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni and Friends" Of course it'll be a cold day in h@## when that happens, but you here it in your head and it'll all be okay.

I was asked to do this, by the way, as I generally have much, much, much better things to do with my time, so Paul don't bother responding unless you like the sound of your own echo.

Wow! This cat went to the "CB" School of Social Irritation, I'm thinking.

Calling the efforts of The Kingsmen Alumni Corps bogus? Them's serious fighting words.

Would you call the Royal Airs a mere "tribute" corps because so many members DIDN'T march with the original and revered unit? I still call them an Alumni Corps, perhaps that's my mis-label.

(PS: Don't tell, but there was at least one real bona fide Kingsmen marching in the percussion line....what was he doing? Sorry, rhetorical question. He was honoring a heckuva wonderful corps. And guess what......they were a dead corps, too! You call that a "ghost corps" or what?

Count Basie doesn't lead the f***ing band any more and Freddy Green ain't there either.....mostly college kids.......they don't call it the Count Basie Alumni Orchestra....but I see the "Kid From Red Bank's" name on the bandstands!")

Re: The Kingsmen. Some of our most beloved brothers and sisters in that corps have passed away, should we NOT fill their spots? Would that honor their memory less? OR should there be a Kingsmen Alumni Corps that feels the best way to honor our "missing" is to put the corps back on the field in the best tradition of The Kingsmen?

You work on the nomenclature issues. WE, on the other hand, will be the folks out there on the field, somewhere around 300 strong, and we WILL be representing the best traditions of THE KINGSMEN....if anybody who even contemplates donning KINGSMEN BLUE as a "lark" and is not willing to put in the efforts that THE KINGSMEN have been historically known and revered for.....well, just don't show up. We have no time for that sort of attitude.

Jeez! I can't believe this guy! How deep is that bug up there? Even if you are technically correct in your nomenclature, why bring it up? Did you feel you were being deceived somehow? You know the call was legitimate and right in your grille up-front when the Corps Directors invited "interested parties" who had never worn The Kingsmen uniform in the past to come march with us......nobody hid anything from you, right?

Would you gripe if some guys from The Anaheim Scouts marched in a Kingsmen Cadet uniform? How about me? I wore a teal colored satin uniform blouse in 67.........said KINGSMEN on the truck and on the guard flags, tho.....never marched in a Kingsmen Cadet uniform.....I FINALLY GET MY CHANCE!

Think I much care whether somebody questions whether that monster out there blowing the skin off his skull and moving concrete stadiums back a dozen yards is "really" The Kingsmen?

Sorry.....another rhetorical question. That means it doesn't really require an answer because the answer is obvious.

So, sit down, shut up and enjoy yourself.....it'll go a lot better for you if you give it a go, Mate!

Come find me after our performance and tell me what you think then....if you're still stuck on Alumni issues, maybe we can have a little talk about it, eh?

RON HOUSLEY

67 Anaheim Kingsmen

07 KINGSMEN ALUMNI CORPS

Come find me after our performance and tell me what you think then....if you're still stuck on Alumni issues, maybe we can have a little talk about it, eh?

RON HOUSLEY

67 Anaheim Kingsmen

07 KINGSMEN ALUMNI CORPS

Got your back dawg. ^0^

Well, I would think that most of the people (non-ex-Kingsmen) who will be marching with the Kingsmen "Alumni" Corps are probably "Alumni" of some other Drum Corps right? So, technically, it would be an "Alumni" Corps named "The Kingsmen". SCV is extremely lucky to be able to have enough ex-SCV members to have a decent sized Alumni Corps. Others do not have that luxury.

Hate to see all this discord among us. :(

I will be looking forward to seeing that Magnificant Blue uniform on the field once again and I'm hoping you guys will play "Folk Song Suite" to boot! :) Oh, and maybe you will be able to somehow feature those who ARE Ex-Kingsmen, so that those of us in the stands can give them the proper recognition :blink:

Edited by MsBusDriver

Well, I would think that most of the people (non-ex-Kingsmen) who will be marching with the Kingsmen "Alumni" Corps are probably "Alumni" of some other Drum Corps right? So, technically, it would be an "Alumni" Corps named "The Kingsmen". SCV is extremely lucky to be able to have enough ex-SCV members to have a decent sized Alumni Corps. Others do not have that luxury.

Hate to see all this discord among us. :(

I will be looking forward to seeing that Magnificant Blue uniform on the field once again and I'm hoping you guys will play "Folk Song Suite" to boot! :) Oh, and maybe you will be able to somehow feature those who ARE Ex-Kingsmen, so that those of us in the stands can give them the proper recognition :blink:

Thank you! Our point exactly about the use of the word alumni. Can YOU get PTR250 straightened out?

Yes, this discord is disturbing. Especially since so many people on this thread all marched in the same era. Many, many close connections between SCV and AK, some going back to the 1960's.

Yes, that magnificent blue uniform is returning, and we already have music for Folk Song Suite. I won't say anything else about show content but FSS is a no-brainer.

SCV is extremely lucky to be able to have enough ex-SCV members to have a decent sized Alumni Corps. Others do not have that luxury.

Amen....

IMO, as long as AK doesn't say anything untrue (like all members are former marchers) in the program or field announcement, then "Alumni" corps fits AKs group. Maybe not true sense of the word Alumni but fits in with the way "Alumni" is being used in the corps world.

And I believe that every corps calling themselves Alumni DOES have former members so there are alumni in the group.

SCV's alumni corps (SCVAC) is composed of past marching members. I believe the rule is that you had to have completed at least one season, in uniform. We only play music from our past ... at least so far. And sure, it takes months of practice to do that well ... to blend the styles, the attitudes and the egos of the various "generations" of Vanguard. The first time we fielded an alumni corps we did it to celebrate Vanguard's 30th anniversary ... so it was a "tribute". The last time we fielded an alumni corps was 2002, followed by the TOR corps. The goal, as I understand it, is to try and field one every five years ... so 2007 if the planets align once more. If the alumni corps only existed to bond together the generations it would be well worth the effort. I now have "friends" who marched Santa Clara ten, twenty and even thirty years after me that I never would have met were it not for our participation in the alumni corps. Collectively, we KNOW that we are incredibly LUCKY to be able to do this ... to pull an alumni corps together comprised entirely of marching members is only made possible by the fact that our corps has been able to survive where many others have not been as fortunate. That being said ... I wouldn't dare rain on anyone else's parade (no pun intended). If a group of people want to get together and call themselves an "alumni" corps, then so be it. If they have the organization's permission to use the name and they respect the spirit of the corps and its' traditions, it's up to the participating members what they call themselves. I'm not sure all these all-age, junior, senior, alumni tags should mean so much anyway. Other than true junior corps, it's getting a little difficult to figure out where to draw the line ... IMO the tags don't really matter as long as what's being done is increasing participation increasing the fan base and furthering the activity. And of course, everyone should be having a great time doing it ^0^

THANK YOU!!! :worthy::music::music::music::music::music::music::music:

Sorry you can’t handle the truth! Call it whatever you want! Unless every member has marched at one time with AK it will not, by definition, be an alumni corps. Everybody else does it is not a good excuse! Why is it so important you call it alumni corps? Don’t like celebration corps. How about Kingsmen Reunion Corps?! Class is about doing the right thing all the time! Truth be told I could care less what you call yourselves! Go out, have fun and blow the lights out! That's what really counts!

So the DCA annual "Alumni Spectacular" must keep you awake at night?