SCV goes back to traditional

And please, don't pull that "yeah, but they came in 10th" or whatever it was in drums in 2005 becasue they played matched.  They had a YOUNG, inexperiencd drumline...bottom line!  Would have happened with taditional grip too

I've got no problem with the majority of your post... sounds like the guy had a huge influence on you, which is cool! However, I've seen the statement above bandied about all over the net all year long, and I've had to laugh everytime I've seen it... cuz it defies common sense.

There is NO line that could pull off a grip switch without an initial dropoff... NONE! Take the current year's high drums line, bring 'em all back, switch 'em to matched, and they're taking 4th or lower... ok, maybe 3rd... nah, 4th. The notion you can switch and simply glide on w/out a dip is hilarious. It ain't that easy, and dues must be paid... at least a year's worth.

There have been tons of "young" SCV lines, and none of 'em have fallen off in placement so far so fast. Age and inexperience may have played a part, but so did the grip transition. Not sure why people get all defensive and try to explain it away. It's just a price you pay when you make the switch. Question is, why pay the price then follow it up with a complete turnaround. Not sure what happened in the org, but the guy should've gotten the opportunity to push it forward for another two years.

By the way, before you argue the "matched had nothing to do with it" point, look for some empirical evidence. I'm willing to bet every tradish to matched transition year you fine will point to a significant dropoff. I'm surprised it's even an argument.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And please, don't pull that "yeah, but they came in 10th" or whatever it was in drums in 2005 becasue they played matched.  They had a YOUNG, inexperiencd drumline...bottom line!  Would have happened with taditional grip too

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I was at some of the camps both last year and the year before. I spoke to a number of vets. Quite a few of them in fact did not come back because of the grip change. So that would cause the drumline to be rookies, and thus the 10th place. I'm not saying it was the sole reason. But it is illogical to think that the switch did not affect their drum score and overall score negatively. It did.

I just hope to see SCV back on top soon. They have put out some great lines and the 2005 was no exception. Even if they didn't win high drums think about it, they are still one of the best lines in the world. It doesn't which grip you use, I teach both, and use both on the field, depending on what the line is doing. Back sticking in my opinion looks better traditional, and most people can play cleaner and faster matched so it depends on what the line is doing. I have played both on a level drum and really see no differance.

SCV 1979:  The only drum corps to march 12 snares and win drums.  And it was matched grip!

Different type of judging back then, now it has to match what the corps is doing on the field visually as well as musicaly. The '79 lines were under the "tick" system.

There is NO line that could pull off a grip switch without an initial dropoff... NONE!  .... some empirical evidence. 

SCV went from trad to matched in 76 to 77. They were 4th in drums in 76, and 5th in 77. A drop, but not significant.

27th went from trad to matched in 79 to 80. They went from 6th in drums to 3rd in drums. Clearly didn't hurt 'em.

There were lots of lines who switched in the late 70s, following SCV's lead. In some cases they went up the next year, in others they went down.

Edited by mobrien

Not a percussionist, but it just seems logical to me. SCV is an organization that, among other things, seeks to win championships.

A big factor in winning championships is recruiting the best talent(this seems to me to be especially relevant when it comes to snare players). The vast majority of the talent pool plays traditional and isn't interested in changing.

don't worry.....plenty of guys auditioned even to play match grip....nothing really keeps a drummer from coming to Santa Clara every november

SCV went from trad to matched in 76 to 77. They were 4th in drums in 76, and 5th in 77. A drop, but not significant.

. . .

Not sure where you got your numbers... mine look a bit different.

'76 SCV - 4th

'77 SCV - 7th

- 8th when Oakland included

- Approx. 50% Vets

- .25 up from 9th (10th w/ Oakland considered)

'78 SCV - High Drums

'79 SCV - High Drums

SCV has made the switch about 4 times now. Want to include variances in transition years for each?