New Orleans Drum Corps On Hold, But Not Canceled

mgailp

Hi All!

I'm sorry to be out of pocket so long, and will actually still not be checking in much until the I-Net is back up at my house.

The members of the Greater New Orleans Drum Corps Association's reunion corps, Echoes, are starting to discuss trying to get back up and running enough to make Mardi Gras (end of Feb.). We will probably be asking for help because much of our equipment was our personal property and is now gone. We have not managed a full assessment of what was lost yet because a good portion of our membership is still displaced. I just wanted to put a "heads up" out there that we will be back and we might be asking you to help.

At this point, we do not have a rehearsal site even if we wanted to meet. Bonnabal High, in Jefferson Parish, was badly damaged by Katrina and will not be opening to students, much less us, for some time. John Curtis Christian High, in River Ridge, had no Katrina damage at all and was scheduled to open, but I have not heard yet how Rita affected it. Regardless, you have to have proof you live or work in an area to go in, so that means no rehearsal.

Wishing the best for our southern brothers.

To The New Orleans "Echoes":

My heart goes out to you....after Katrina hit, you guys were one of the first things I thought of....though I've never met any of you in person, I consider all "Drum Corps" people part of my "extended family". So, as horrible as it was seeing all of New Orleans so devastated....it hurt even worse to know that part of the Drum Corps community was hurt as well.

You WILL come back from this! And, you will re-build yourselves even stronger than before!!

May "faith" and the "bonds of brotherhood" that is our "Great Activity" forever strengthen you!!!!

"May God Bless Echoes"!

I'm glad the NO crew is going to stay in business. I've been thinking about you guys and I'm sorry I missed you last December when I was out there.

Liz and I had actually planned to be in NO next weekend for a wedding. Of course everything has changed now. Our flight has been cancelled. We are still hoping to go as soon as possible and help a lot of family with the clean-up effort. Some family members home's have been lost, others are fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

I hope to return again this year to march with the GNODCA - I had a great time last year marching the Metarie parade. I can bring along my contra plus at least one more (maybe even a couple P/Rs!), a bari, french horn, and a sop.

I'll be in contact as the event gets closer to find out what is still needed, and I'll be checking the website/forum often.

Glad that things are (slowly) retuning to normal, hopefully everything comes out ok in the end. I'd be interested to know how any of the horns turned out. I imagine any water damage would trash the cases, but I'd think the horns would be in reasonable shape.

• 2 years later...

Since hurricane Katrina, we have been in recover mode. I'd like to announce the following as another step forward for Drum Corps in New Orleans and GNODCA. I'm a little unsure of where to post this, and hope this is OK to post here.

NOVA is a new performance unit forming 10/20/07, operating under the auspices of the non-profit organization, The Greater New Orleans Drum Corps Association (GNODCA). Membership in GNODCA is required in order to participate in NOVA. NOVA encourages its members to participate in other GNODCA performance units.

NOVA offers the opportunity for capable musicians to entertain the public by participating in mostly small non-competitive exhibition performance units, such as an ensemble or mini-corps, with limited rehearsals needed. Performances will most likely occur in the southeast Louisiana region in the formative years, or just beyond that only on rare occasion. Initially, the performance venues will consist of mostly non-traditional drum corps events so as not to be constrained by rules and regulations of competition, with a possible limited entry into more traditional DCA drum corps events. Initially, NOVA is intended to be a stand-still unit, performing mostly indoor, though outdoor events and some minimal marching can be considered as desired and deemed feasible.

Beyond the formative years, NOVA may possibly branch into more competitive DCA arenas as the growth, support, and direction of the organization allows.

NOVA’s first rehearsal will be 10/20/07. The first four rehearsals are listed below.

Sat. 10/20/2007 at Alfred T. Bonnabel HS, Kenner, LA

1:00-3:00pm (Horns & Guard), 3:00-5:00pm (Drums)

Sat. 11/10/2007 at Alfred T. Bonnabel HS, Kenner, LA

Sat. 12/1/2007 at Alfred T. Bonnabel HS, Kenner, LA

Sat. 12/8/2007 at Alfred T. Bonnabel HS, Kenner, LA

Edited by Jumpin2drums

Awesome news!

Since hurricane Katrina, we have been in recover mode. I'd like to announce the following as another step forward for Drum Corps in New Orleans and GNODCA. I'm a little unsure of where to post this, and hope this is OK to post here.

NOVA is a performing unit operating under the auspices of the non-profit organization, The Greater New Orleans Drum Corps Association (GNODCA). Membership in GNODCA is required in order to participate in NOVA. NOVA encourages its members to participate in other GNODCA performance units.

NOVA offers the opportunity for capable musicians to entertain the public by participating in mostly small non-competitive exhibition performance units, such as an ensemble or mini-corps, with limited rehearsals needed. Performances will most likely occur in the southeast Louisiana region in the formative years, or just beyond that only on rare occasion. Initially, the performance venues will consist of mostly non-traditional drum corps events so as not to be constrained by rules and regulations of competition, with a possible limited entry into more traditional DCA drum corps events. Initially, NOVA is intended to be a stand-still unit, performing mostly indoor, though outdoor events and some minimal marching can be considered as desired and deemed feasible.

Beyond the formative years, NOVA may possibly branch into more competitive DCA arenas as the growth, support, and direction of the organization allows.

NOVA’s first rehearsal will be 10/20/07. The first four rehearsals are listed below.

Sat. 10/20/2007 at Alfred T. Bonnabel HS, Kenner, LA

Sat. 11/10/2007 at Alfred T. Bonnabel HS, Kenner, LA

Sat. 12/1/2007 at Alfred T. Bonnabel HS, Kenner, LA

Sat. 12/8/2007 at Alfred T. Bonnabel HS, Kenner, LA

Brian,

Met with Karen yesterday to give her a box of paperwork etc.

I still have some resonators in the band room that go with something other than the marimba and vibes. This tells me that there is still something ( keyboard wise) in the buses. Karen was looking for someone to make the journy with her to the old buses to go through anything worth salvaging ( sp ? ) Even if the 30+ year old battery pieces are there and screwed up, theres hardware worth getting.

Check with her and Elroy.

I gave her a list of horns that I knew of ( both good, and those issued that were lost in Katrina )

I also have stored in the band room some hi hats, misc. hardware and a few horns.

I STILL HAVE THAT BASS DRUM TRAMPOLINE when ever you want it

( that should twik peoples minds as to what I'm talking about ! )

After Christmas, I'll be able to let you use the room a few times.

I also now ( at the lower school ) have a whole building to myself if you need a room for meetings etc. )

Keep the faith