What mouthpieces corps use

insanelogic

Our Contras used LOUD LM-6's this year. Fantastic mouthpieces. Stainless steel so they don't loose their finish. Our Bari's used LOUDs as well but I'm not sure which model.

loudhighwayweb01a.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at the LM-6 for a week now. Spec wise it appears to be an LM-7 with a larger throat. Of course I need a contra to play on first. As I just got out bid for one on eBay. At least I still have my money for christmas stuffs.

I got an LM-20 for my Kanstul G Euph. I like it. It plays well, better than all of my other pieces. Although I'm not entirely sure I like the sound. Audacity shows it having an odd waveform, relative to my 51D and 59 schilke pieces. But it may just be the headphones I'm using as a mic. I didn't go with the LM-35 because it would have played flat on my horn, and I wasn't wanting to modify the horn at that time. Plus the smaller rim and larger throat makes it more useable for lead and solo work. It's much bigger than my 51D, but maintains my high register, even strengthens it. And has a pretty wicked low end too.

I'm looking at getting the LM-60 for my pea shooter trombone. And either an LM-10 or LM-6 for a contra. Granted I need to acquire a contra before I part with the cash for a contra piece. And which contra will probably determine the piece. I'd like a 5/4 and the LM-6. But if I get a getzen dwarf, I'll probably go LM-10, maybe even LM-15. Contras are just expensive, even used.

Bach 1 1/2G - for guys 300lbs+

For Contra:

Halliburton(sp?)

Miraphone C4 or C3

I'm a Euph player myself. But I've ventured to other voices on occassion.

Shadow_7

What the Heck MAN!! Just Because I'm 350lbs and use a 1 - 1/4H On my Euph. It gives every fat guy euph/Contra with donkey lips a reputation! LOL

And its a Helleberg for Contra Funny enough you mention a Miraphone C3/C4 which are Helleberg Copies/Slight variation on the Helleberg's design.

What the Heck MAN!! Just Because I'm 350lbs and use a 1 - 1/4H On my Euph. It gives every fat guy euph/Contra with donkey lips a reputation! LOL

Actually that was a reference to an early 90's Euph player who was formerly a football player. He used a 1 1/2G(granted the older ones have mostly the same specs as current 1 1/4G pieces). And he could put out some db's. We had a killer line back then. For the age out circle 5 Euphs were drowning out 12 Baris. It was sweet.

I think the mirafones predate the helleberg. Wouldn't that make the helleberg the copy? Not that I'd know, I'm still in the process of acquiring a Contra. I just don't have $12K to put out for a new one. So for now, I don't even have so much as a tuba to practice on. Just a Euph, Sop, and Frenchie in G.

Actually that was a reference to an early 90's Euph player who was formerly a football player. He used a 1 1/2G(granted the older ones have mostly the same specs as current 1 1/4G pieces). And he could put out some db's. We had a killer line back then. For the age out circle 5 Euphs were drowning out 12 Baris. It was sweet.

I think the mirafones predate the helleberg. Wouldn't that make the helleberg the copy? Not that I'd know, I'm still in the process of acquiring a Contra. I just don't have $12K to put out for a new one. So for now, I don't even have so much as a tuba to practice on. Just a Euph, Sop, and Frenchie in G.

Hey James, is that little Joe you're talking about?

Hey James, is that little Joe you're talking about?

Yep. Little Joe. Of course a football injury had him mostly blind in one eye. Which makes for interesting drill rehearsals. And probably why he didn't march contra. Can't see right cause of injury, can't see left cause of contra. But what a great guy. And one loud Euph player.

Is he part of the Bakersfield crew? You guys have a name yet? Bakers Brew? Brass Field? Grapevine South? (I know you're actually north of the grapevine)

I knew it was Joe, and he did march contra--1991. Check your 91 Euph line photo. I used to commute with him and Erika--we always had fun trying to make room for the K-90. I believe he marched next to Crusher...err...Craig.

I've been trying to track him down, but not much luck. Of course all I have to do is go to a Mento Buru show to find him. He's a bass bone player still and plays ska/funk band.

Del Sol is still around and have had a number of new players show-up.

Back on topic:

Freelancers and BD sops in the 90's used CG3S's.

Edited by ravedodger

The Helleberg Design dates from what I remember 1905 - 1910 Made By Conn for the Helleberg Brothers of Sousa's marching Band. Or something like that. Since Miraphone has only been around since 1946 they are doing the copying or their own variation of the helleberg. The C4 is a great mouthpiece, but better for indoor work on a rotory valved horn. Not exactly a great marching mouthpiece.

I'll make you jealous with the fresh pics of my Contra fresh from the Shop after 3 months in the shop.

The shop that did the work is www.thebandroom.biz

Before:

ContraBefore.jpg

AFTER::

contrafter01.jpg

ContraAfter02.jpg

ContraAfter03.jpg

You could stick two fingers in between this joint before!

did you refurbish the King 2 valve Euph????? I only marched that horn one season, but I still miss it. It needed a major overhaul when I marched it. But it was a nice horn. Even if you couldn't play it, it was still impressive visuallly. Even when the bell section was dangling from your elbow and the valve section was still in your hand, it was still impressive.

That's a nice refurb of the contra. Was that a Kastul 3 valve? As I wonder how that < 20yo horn got in that bad of shape to start with. How much did the refurb cost?