UMI/Benge Mello 6 mouthpiece

Skippay

ooohhh - new prototype - exciting...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff, I remember destinctly that Eric only passed out ony 203s. In fact I seem to remember his taking a trip into town to get more 203s from their warehouse because of the increase in numbers second camp. Eric had nothing good to say about the 202s.

I didn't know there was a new Yama mello. I wonder if the Blast cats have them? Will have to ask Rutt sometime. If they do I wonder if the SAA could score some 203s for future 'projects'? Though we are good on mellos for the most part cause we are all crazy enough to buy them, or build them in Sean's case.

As I recall the Yamaha seemed a tad more french horn-like, ie looser slotting then any of the other mellos I tried at the gala. Though by no means is the Kanstul trumpet-like. They are pretty close. Did you get a chance to try my old King K-50? I remember having it in your car after the dinner, but I think we packed it away back at the corps hall. It will bring back some memories. I probably have a few dime-with-a-hole-in-it mouthpieces around so you can relive your Madison days. It feels like a soprano in comparison to these pig-weight F mellos. Of course it sounds a bit like one to.

David, yeah I like the tune-any-note slide to, but it took awhile to get used to. Mine is a 280 so it doesn't have the nice fat-daddy return springs they have now. That would be nice. The new Dynasty Extremes have the TAN slides as well.

Back on topic, does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?c...howstory&id=563

Edited by mchromik

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the UMI 1736 as sort of a Christmas present to myself, and luckily it came today. So after I ecstaticly ripped open the package, the box enclosed was labeled CJ Conn CKB, which didn't look at all like the UMI 1736 I was expecting to see. I looked at the mouthpiece itself, and it is engraved with CKB Mello 6. Is this an error on the shipper, or are the two mouthpieces one and the same? I haven't opened any other packaging other than the package it came in in case I need to return. If anyone could help me out I'd really aprreciate it.

I ordered the UMI 1736 as sort of a Christmas present to myself, and luckily it came today. So after I ecstaticly ripped open the package, the box enclosed was labeled CJ Conn CKB, which didn't look at all like the UMI 1736 I was expecting to see.

The same here. As previously mentioned in this thread UMI is now defunct. In theory the Conn CKB Mello 6 is the same piece, but manufactured by Conn. Originally UMI was a group of companies, one of which was Conn.

IMO it's a little small at least on first impressions. But I like the way the Conn CKB Mello 6 plays on my Kanstul Soprano. I haven't gotten a chance to play it on a Mello yet. But I have no idea what an actual UMI mello 6 looked like. And a mello player I showed my CKB mello 6 to, also said it was small.

http://unitedmusical.com/

I have a CKB and a UMI Mello 6, they are exactly the same style- and playing-wise, the only difference is the imprint on the side of the cup.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any experience with, or know anything about the IYM Corp. mellophone mouthpieces that you can get through The Cavaliers web site?

David, yeah I like the tune-any-note slide to, but it took awhile to get used to. Mine is a 280 so it doesn't have the nice fat-daddy return springs they have now. That would be nice. The new Dynasty Extremes have the TAN slides as well.

Mine is older and has been modified by a previous owner, and has no springs, so I know what you mean.