Cases for Unusual Sized Horns

JimF-LowBari

Have two horns in the basement that could use a case for protection. Both are really off sized so I can't just buy an empty case even if I could find one. Has anyone else even had this problem and if so, what the heck did you do about it? And if not, any flippin' ideas as using a box with styroform peanuts (how one got sent to me) ain't a good option.

Horns are:

Upright Alto horn (ca late 1940s) I picked up in a flea market. Don't need to carry this horn around so just need a case for storage.

Single valve Tenor Bari bugle (ca 1940). Want to carry this one around next year so REALLY want to protect this rarity.

As always - thanks in advance.

Depends on the level of protection you want. And the conditions under which it will be stored. Outside in an open environment shed? Or inside in a climate controlled closet?

Those who could afford it got some heavy duty anvil cases and cut the foam to fit. Or got one that fit in the first place.

http://www.calzoneproducts.com/anvil_cases.htm

http://www.cases2go.com/html/anvil_music_cases.htm

For the storage one, a $5 plastic bin and some towels. And/or wrap the horn in a towel/blanket and reuse those peanuts. Depends on where, how, etc. you are gonna be storing it. Be sure to label it, so you don't forget what's in there.

Gig bags are okay. But don't really provide that much protection. And if you live in the country, mice like to explore in them. And where the mice go, so do the snakes. Gotta love Texas.

Thanks for the links and info. I have a few ideas and was looking for others.

For the storage one, a $5 plastic bin and some towels. And/or wrap the horn in a towel/blanket and reuse those peanuts. Depends on where, how, etc. you are gonna be storing it. Be sure to label it, so you don't forget what's in there.

D'oh, never thought about this, and I was just at WalMart and Dollar General. Sounds good for the Alto horn. I'll just have to remember to put something over the bell to keep the peanuts out of the tubing (but having them come out while playing would be a neat special effect). :P

Gig bags are okay. But don't really provide that much protection. And if you live in the country, mice like to explore in them. And where the mice go, so do the snakes. Gotta love Texas.

Never used a gig bag but that's what I was afraid of. Too bad Flea Market season is over up North, maybe I should look for a small sized suitcase or salemens case.

Try www.1800usaband.com They might have cases for it. If they don't list any on the site. give them a call they just might have a nice used one laying around they'll sell you.