Anyone March in 1985

The other day I went to CorpsRep to look at the scores(I still cant believe how bad we got jobbed) and to my horror saw that my corps was not even on the list <**> So I wrote the web master; check this out

To Whom it may concern,

In 1985 I marched with the Diplomats of Malden Ma. Not only were we at finals that year we tied the Canadian Knights who also don't show up on your list. What Gives? I am sure I speak for all of us when I you have slighted a great memory of Drum Corps for us. I think you should fix this ASAP.

Sorry for the mistake. Certainly nothing intentional to slight your corps.

1985 appears to have been an unusual year. In open class there were prelims, quarters, semis and finals. I think we have the whole year messed up and it is going to take some work to fix.

A number of corps competed in prelims, some (all) went on to quarters. Some of those advanced to semis and were joined with still other corps who had yet to compete. As far as I can see this is the only year of this format.

You are correct about the tie for 16th place in quarters. I'll need to figure how out to display that because really isn't a 16th place finish since there were a number of corps who only competed later in the week.

Also let me point out that we do have the scores from finals week for your corps in our score archive.

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=c...37&corpstype=Ju

nior&yearqry=1985

I'm surprised this is the first someone has raised this problem. It isn't just your corps and the Knights. There are a host of others not properly being displayed.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Regards,

Chris

My first Question was Was that the first year of that format? If so then how is it so hard to determine the placings? Either way at the time it made me a mad and confirmed that we had gotten jobbed ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

It's not like corpsreps is raking in the cash for what they do - we can access their site for free, right? Given the correct information, I am confident they'll oblige by adjusting the relevant pages of the site.

Thanks corpsreps for a very valuable resource!

I am not saying that CorpsRep isnt a great source for us. It is however a little disheartening when the Corps that you cried, swetted and bled for isnt even a footnote. That would never happen to 2-7 and should, based on recent experience, never happen to anyone. I will start sending my old E-mass and DCE stuff to those guys so that our memories are preserved.

I know we only performed twice. Prelims and Finals.

We were there, day in, day out. It was good practice for us, chiseling away at the wall to get into finals.

It was a screwy system in '85. (Wednesday was I&E/Parade day if I remember right) I remember that we didn't see anyone in the top 16 until Semis and then the top 12 advanced on to Finals. I think it was the only time that DCI used this exact format since they changed the rules for advancing into open class.

Chris, Sorry that you've been lost in the shuffle. Knowing Corpsreps, they'll find a way to include all of the corps that competed in Finals week.

If you write to corpsrep with the information, they will fix it. I have done it and the will work with you. It's only 1 guy that put togather this great site and he is always looking for information to add to the site.

in 1984 and 1985 the top 25 corps from the previous season did not compete in prelims. The top 12 corps from prelims advanced to quarter finals (in 1985 the glassmen were the only corps in Prelims not to advance to Quarter finals).

quarter finals was the 12 corps from prelims and the 13-25 place corps from the previous season with the top 12 from the previous season getting an automatic semi finals spot. (in 1985 because Bridgemen had been in finals 3 consecutive seasons before falling out in 1984 they were still seeded automatically into Semi's so that year it was 13 corps who didn't compete until semi's)

The top 13 corps from Quarterfinals advanced to semi's to compete with the previous season's top 12. (in 1985 there was a tie for 12th in quarterfinals between connexion quebec and someone else so 13 corps still advanced to semi's even though Bridgemen were already seeded in)

then the top 12 from semi's advanced to finals. (in 1985 because Bridgemen had fallen on hard times they actually got beat by all 13 of the corps that advanced from quarter finals and because of that tie for 12th in quarters the bridgemen did not make the top 25 and associate status even though they had the automatic seed into semi finals. and actually if they hadn't gotten the automatic seed they probably would have been lower than 26th since the 27th place corps (ventures) and the 28th place corps (Bluecoats) had beaten them regularly during the season.)

Wow - all that from memory.

I believe in 1986 and 1987 they dropped prelims because of the Glassmen situation from 1985. no sense having a round where only one corps doesn't advance. However they still had the top 12 corps seeded into semi finals, so the Bluecoats actually won prelims in 1987 just like Star did in 1985.