Valenzuela joins Phantom Regiment

I have an interesting though.... maybe a question... there are many people that are switching corps this season... is there not as much loyalty? is there bigger paychecks being waved in front of them... I am just curious..

To answer your question/thoughts Adam,

I do not think it to be the money thay anyone teaches drum corps...OR moves to a different corps.

Speaking from my own experience,,,there were summers I made lots of money doing corps, and other summers where I operated with a loss of expenses after taxes and cost of living etc....both experiences were great, and sometimes during the summers I made less money...they were more enjoyable and had better results.

Also, there is really not much more moving around this "off-season" compared to any of the other recent off seasons....(at least from 1998-present) In this modern era people change staffs for many different reasons:

1) Staff people all know each other in different arenas,,,,music ed, marching band, WGI, etc....so there are friendships and collaborations in different venues that tend to bring people together to new and different places from year to year.

2) Most groups do basically the same type of things now....travel, food, rehearsal schedules, technique programs,,,are more similar than ever, and the parts are interchangable; more than ever.

3) Lastly, and to a much lesser extent...we still are in a competitive arena, and while that is not the main reason we do this....it is an underlying current, just as in sports. So, maybe a perceived edge in having "this person or that person" does create the atmosphere for people to change teams.

However, IMO it is much more reasons #1 and #2 that people start to move around alot between August 15th and November 1st every year.

Larry

Edited by Ageout90

nice addition, he'll do great things at pr :)

• 5 months later...

A couple of my friends auditioned for Phantom and they saw Rick. They said he didn't do any talking. Pat would just talk and then say something like "Isn't that right, rick?" and he would say "yes." Is he normally this reserved, does anyone know?