Where to Find a Local Drum Corps

I am a drummer from Kansas City, Missouri. I've been looking all over drum corps sites and the closest I can find is a senior corps in Kansas City, Kansas called Prairie Sound. Anyone know where I might be able to find one with more younger people and not older [i'm 14 and they were all 30+] in the KC, MO area? I'd really love to participate in a drum corps, but I can't find anything to participate in.

I'm from Lawrence, KS--about 30 Mi west of you. There are no active junior corps in the immediate KC area. The Colts, in Dubuque, IA, are probably the closest. I had to fly to all my camps when I marched.

I'm from Stilwell, KS (right next to Overland Park), although right now I'm in Manhattan, KS since I'm at K-State. I'd say your closest bet is Colts. I'm flying out to Chicago for Cavies auditions, but in December I'll be driving up to Dubuque for Colts auditions.

I am a drummer from Kansas City, Missouri. I've been looking all over drum corps sites and the closest I can find is a senior corps in Kansas City, Kansas called Prairie Sound. Anyone know where I might be able to find one with more younger people and not older [i'm 14 and they were all 30+] in the KC, MO area? I'd really love to participate in a drum corps, but I can't find anything to participate in.

that is a big down side with the activity right now. there use to be a bunch of good corps out there. but now there aren't as many. i know in the Pittsburgh PA area there were alot of junior and senior corps. the town i live in had a junior amd senior corp(junior corp i think was the royal crusaders they folded and the senior/all age corp is a young group mon valley express(i'm a member of it)). and from what i understand the mid-west had a bunch of corps. kind of sad how things turned out. good luck where ever you end up going hope you can find a group. and hope your able to make their line. and if nothing else think about doing prairie sound. if nothing else it will help build your skills up.

There are several Colts from KC area, including, I believe, some staff... so you'd be able to hook up if you desired to carpool.

Eh... something to look forward to, though: in the next few seasons, St. Louis will hopefully be gaining a corps or two. I go to school out here, and I know of two groups that want to do it, and as I recall, they're not associating together.

There's my dilemma, lol. If it happens before I ageout (08), I'd totally feel like, gosh, it'd be great to help jumpstart a corps. On the other hand, I'm absolutely gaga over Colts.

Thanks guys. For the colts and the whole going up there. I'm new this and not exactly understanding everything. How does it not interfere with school? I understand the camps are over the summer, but when you get to performances don't they last 'til about September? And is the camp another way of saying strenuous practice for a certain period of time? Or do you practice in between performances like a highschool band. Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.

Or does any of you know a site where I could go to find all this info? I think that would be easier. Thanks for the help.

I think you're a tad bit confused about a couple of things. First of all, audition camps for most corps are somewhere between the end of november and the beginning of january. At that camp you will get a chance to audition and practice with the corps and all of the other auditionees. If you make the corps, you will have camps ONCE A MONTH from January until May. Once school is out, you will basically "move in" to start tour. That just basically means you pack up your duffel bag, backpack, and sleeping bag and go join the corps on tour (if school ends late) or meet up with everyone in the city the corps is in to begin tour. Normally that occurs either AT or just after the Memorial Day camp. Camps are nothing more than a weekend practice, once a month. At each camp you will learn everything from music, to movement, to drill. You will most likely stay with the other members of the corps at the high school where the camp is taking place. After memorial day camp in may, tour begins. You will most likely be gone from the end of may until the second week of August (finals week). Once tour is over, you come back home and kick major ### in your high school band. :D

... And is the camp another way of saying strenuous practice for a certain period of time? ...

Strenuous practice for a certain period of time = drum corps, where period of time = all summer