Just watched the 81 Whitewater DVD

No, he aged out in '80 and was on staff in '81. Dave Flynn was the DM in '81. I think Flynn's son marches Blue Stars now.

Jeff, as drum major, threw the mace before the first note of the opener (Santa Esmarelda) in 80. Dave was the DM in '81, is also currently on the BOD's of the Cavaliers and yes, Dave's son is marching Blue Stars. Not sure why he isn't marching the Cavaliers. Hmmmm... need to ask Dave this next time I see him.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave rocked the drum set Krupa-style in the production/drum solo that year, the immortal "Sing, Sing, Sing."

Back in the day, people were still excited by flying everything; listen to the screams of delight in 27's drum feature in 79 or Guardsmen's the same year. Cavies' 81 show has a lot of "flying everything." The atmosphere at Whitewater that year was almost unique; all tours converged at Warhawk that weekend, which was almost unprecedented that early in the season.

Also hey mobrien and deftguy, did Jeff (was it Jeff in 81)? Throw a mace like he did in 80? That was pretty awesome too. :laugh:

Brubaker's guard and a ballsy Ralph Pace drill was what made the show work in '81. It was 70% a recapitulation of the previous year's show, but the guard was more assuredly featured throughout (when you have a group of guys who can handle the equipment like they could, why wouldn't ya?). Musically, the show had enough attitude to work, though I wouldn't honestly say as the musical caption scores should have been any higher than they were. The energy and entertainment levels of the show carried us through first half of the season, but once everyone else started dialing in their musical and visual execution numbers second tour, our scores took a hit in relation (we seemed to be on track to place 6th-8th early season, but lost ground quickly to Garfield and Crossmen starting at Whitewater).

In terms of the dropped rifle in concert, if I remember correctly, guard members COULDN'T pick up dropped equipment without incuring a penalty on top of the tick. You had a drop, all you could do was fake it until a judge helped you out. In his case, knowing that he'd be hitting the ground in a second or two anyway, he made the right call; there's every chance that he never got the tick for the drop because the judge might not have noticed.

The stepover worked because it looked cool. Must have looked cool, since Star went to the trouble of borrowing it for "Blast!".... :P

Brubaker's guard and a ballsy Ralph Pace drill was what made the show work in '81. It was 70% a recapitulation of the previous year's show, but the guard was more assuredly featured throughout (when you have a group of guys who can handle the equipment like they could, why wouldn't ya?). Musically, the show had enough attitude to work, though I wouldn't honestly say as the musical caption scores should have been any higher than they were. The energy and entertainment levels of the show carried us through first half of the season, but once everyone else started dialing in their musical and visual execution numbers second tour, our scores took a hit in relation (we seemed to be on track to place 6th-8th early season, but lost ground quickly to Garfield and Crossmen starting at Whitewater).

In terms of the dropped rifle in concert, if I remember correctly, guard members COULDN'T pick up dropped equipment without incuring a penalty on top of the tick. You had a drop, all you could do was fake it until a judge helped you out. In his case, knowing that he'd be hitting the ground in a second or two anyway, he made the right call; there's every chance that he never got the tick for the drop because the judge might not have noticed.

The stepover worked because it looked cool. Must have looked cool, since Star went to the trouble of borrowing it for "Blast!".... :P

i believe '81 was the first year that you could pick up equipment without incurring an additional penalty. you still got the tick for the drop, but you could pick it up. in '82 you didn't get the penalty at all. i may be wrong, but i do remember a recent viewing of some old shows from '81 and there were more drops than i remember, and almost every one of them was picked up by the guard member.

oh, to have the tick system back....

Ü

jan

No, he aged out in '80 and was on staff in '81. Dave Flynn was the DM in '81. I think Flynn's son marches Blue Stars now.

Okay, we got our dm's mixed up, I couldn't remember if he aged out in 80, thanks for clearing that up.

Jeff, as drum major, threw the mace before the first note of the opener (Santa Esmarelda) in 80. Dave was the DM in '81, is also currently on the BOD's of the Cavaliers and yes, Dave's son is marching Blue Stars. Not sure why he isn't marching the Cavaliers. Hmmmm... need to ask Dave this next time I see him.

So did Dave throw a mace in the show? :) I tripped out when I saw Jeff do it in 80. :bleah:

So did Dave throw a mace in the show? :) I tripped out when I saw Jeff do it in 80. :bleah:

I don't think so but it was 25 years ago. My brain was just starting to be depleted of its brain cells at that time. Rush Street in Chicago was just one big bar for me back then so anything is possible. :mmm:

Dave rocked the drum set Krupa-style in the production/drum solo that year, the immortal "Sing, Sing, Sing."

Matt, help me remember the name of the guy that came along on second tour (friend of Bob Niedrich's) to more or less be the drum set instructor. He showed me how to do this back-sticking thing on the underside of the high-hat that was SO GOOD!!!!

No, but he threw his hat after the step-over in "Softly"!!!! :P

Four ex-Cavies from the same era on this thread, and not a SINGLE one of us is willing to give up the name of the guy that dropped the rifle.

Doesn't that tell you something?? :bleah: