French Horn Mouthpiece

Shadow_7

I've been using a Schilke 31 on a King K-60 french horn bugle. The 31 was a fine piece back when I tried a concert double horn some ten years ago. But I'm starting to feel it has a little too wide of an inner rim and small throat for the K-60. Although I like the wider rims that schilke pieces have.

I'm thinking of getting a Bach 10S and/or a Stork Myers M1. Any french horn players out there that might have some input? Or should I be thinking bigger, like one of the Yamaha signature series, or a Schilke 32?

I feel that I'm working too hard to play loud and my tone is getting a little split unfocused sound on attacks. So I'm leaning towards a smaller rim to help the focus and a larger throat and backbore to make playing louder easier. But I could be way off base. Normally I play Euph, and once upon a time Trombone.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Stork Myers M1 on order, we'll see how it does. It has the largest throat of the Myers series. Of course it's on back order so I should see it a few days after chrismas. Or at least sometime next year, Hopefully sooner.

If you like the Schilke 31, but want a smaller rim, I would reccomend a 31C2 - that's what I play on normally, gold plated, but with a slightly opened backbore.

If you like the Schilke 31, but want a smaller rim, I would reccomend a 31C2 - that's what I play on normally, gold plated, but with a slightly opened backbore.

I like the schilke 31. Especially the wide rim. However I feel it's too big inner rim+cup and too small throat/backbore for the K-60. Spec wise the 31C2 appears to have a larger rim. 31 = 17.14mm / 31C2 = 17.43mm. Although it looks like it might solve the backbore issue. Not that I'm a fan of the thin rim and marching combination.

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/pages/pop...hilke_horn.html

I also have a Kelly MDC piece which first impressions were that it was horrid. However at this point in development, I actually get a cleaner sound out of the MDC piece. Not really the sound I want, but the general playing on it seems more centered.

The Kelly MDC is smaller than the 31 so that's my basis for my change. The M1 choice was mostly based on rim size, as it more closely matches my mellophone piece and soprano piece. But what I'm looking for(or at least think I'm looking for) is a smaller rim diameter and larger throat/backbore. The bach 10S appears to be very similar to the M1, and was actually what I was looking at before I found the M1. The storks seem to be well respected for horn, even though I've never seen/used one myself. And the spec info was more complete.

Good luck with your selection - I know some folks that play on the Myers series and they all love them - just a little bit too small (diameter) for me. Either way, advice on mouthpieces is only worth something if you agree on it - such an individual choice. Happy playing!

just a little bit too small (diameter) for me.

That's my main fear, is that the M1 will be too small. Somedays I have a glorious sound on the 31, other days, I just put the horn down and play some other instrument. Most of the google hits seem to suggest 29's and even 27's are more popular than the 31. And spec wise the Kelly MDC seems closer to a 30.

It's really hard making that personal choice when there's not much specwise for many brands. Holton and Conn have hardly any specs. I was quite surprised when my Conn CKB Mello 6 was 0.7mm smaller than my Bach Mello 6. Bugles are generally special creatures that favor the larger pieces, but without specs it's hard to find a good match. Even if you have a fair idea of what might work for you on this or that instrument.

All of the Holtons are smaller than the 31, but the DC (I believe) is almost as big. I don't like the Conns or Bachs much because I always feel that the throat is too small and constricting. If you really want to get into paying money for a mouthpiece, look at Osmun Music (www.osmun.com) or Moosewood (www.hornmouthpiece.com). They both make two-piece custom mouthpieces that have an open feel. Atkinson also makes mouthpieces, but I have never cared for theirs as much.

Try the Stork C series. I've been using them for about 5-6 years now. I currently use a gold-plated CMA 12. It's a medium-deep cup with a slightly wider diameter and a narrow bore. The gold rim is very comfortable.

i agree im always looking for a smaller rim!! thanks for the recommendation!!

Well, it looks like it'll be next year before I see my pieces. I ordered them two weeks ago, and still have nearly three weeks before they might be filled. They were listed as 2-3 weeks on order when I ordered them on 11/15/2005.

Stork Myers M1 - 1/6/2006

Schilke 13a4a - 12/14/2005

Of course that's when they get them (in theory). So a week or more after that is when I get them. wwbw isn't what it used to be.