French Horn Mouthpiece

Shadow_7

Oy, my schilke 13a4a which I ordered 11/15/05 and was listed as 2-3 weeks on order is now expected to be shipped around 1/16/06. Someone needs the let wwbw know the difference between 2-3 weeks and 2-3 months.

Anyway, the M1, it plays easier, it's more accurate, and has a wider dynamic range than my schilke 31, at least for me. But it doesn't have a very frenchie sound IMO. More bright is how I guess I'd describe it. It doesn't have that mello tone that the 31 has. I guess it's time to try the 30.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used my Holton Farkas MDC since 1975. I feel it's the mouthpiece for a marching French Horn, it give me that Phat sound I need to project.

• 1 month later...

I went and ordered the Bach 10S, which is similar in specs to the Myers M1. I'm hoping it has a different, more frenchy sound, while maintaining many of the playing attributes I like about the M1. I also went ahead and ordered a Schilke 30 and 32. The 32 is in stock, so I should have it next month, the 10S at 2-3 weeks so I should have it the month after that, the 30 is on order, so in about 3 months I'll probably see that one.

I'll probably choose the next generation sop and mello pieces after I settle on the frenchy piece. Just so I can keep the inner rim sizes closely matched. For me the Schilke 15B is a little wide and shallow, but nice. The Schilke 13a4a is definitely too small. The Bach Mello 6 is too big, but nice, even with the wrong shank. The Conn Mello 6 is a little small.

I'm a big fan of the schilke 27, I've been playing on it for about a year now after it replaced my good ole Holton-Farkas MDC. Everything schilke I've ever seen has been quality, and thanks to the wonder of mass production, they are all very decently priced (unless you want gold plating). I see a lot of people suggesting the larger models like the 30 and 31, way too big for me, especially if we are primarily talking about using these things on mellophones. Yea sure the larger mouthpieces will make your low range nice and open but when are you goin to utilize that on a mellophone?

I'm a big fan of the schilke 27, I've been playing on it for about a year now after it replaced my good ole Holton-Farkas MDC. Everything schilke I've ever seen has been quality, and thanks to the wonder of mass production, they are all very decently priced (unless you want gold plating). I see a lot of people suggesting the larger models like the 30 and 31, way too big for me, especially if we are primarily talking about using these things on mellophones. Yea sure the larger mouthpieces will make your low range nice and open but when are you goin to utilize that on a mellophone?

I like the 27 too, just way too small for me - I prefer a larger mouthpiece. But, like I try to say in all my mouthpiece suggestions, different strokes for different folks.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the schilke 32 today. So far it appears to be the average between the schilke 31 and Stork M1. Even though it's inner rim is bigger than either of those two pieces. Cup wise it's deeper than the 31, but not as deep as the M1. Even the rim thickness is the 50% split between the two. So far sound wise it even sounds like the 50% split between the two. Playing wise it feels like the 50% split between the two. But I'm not normally a horn player, and really haven't touch this instrument much in the past month or so. I like the 32, but I probably need something smaller to help with the range. And want something a little more frenchy sounding like the 31. In the meantime, the 31 is getting shelved in favor of the 32.

I'm liking the schilke 32. It's got a big sound to it. It's comforable to play on. You've got to work for anything range-ish, but it's not that much of a range hit. It feels well matched to my King 2 valve chrome french horn in G. I'll probably drift towards something smaller for more range and a not so dark sound, but I could live with the 32 if it's all I had/wanted.

I got the schilke 32 today. So far it appears to be the average between the schilke 31 and Stork M1. Even though it's inner rim is bigger than either of those two pieces. Cup wise it's deeper than the 31, but not as deep as the M1. Even the rim thickness is the 50% split between the two. So far sound wise it even sounds like the 50% split between the two. Playing wise it feels like the 50% split between the two. But I'm not normally a horn player, and really haven't touch this instrument much in the past month or so. I like the 32, but I probably need something smaller to help with the range. And want something a little more frenchy sounding like the 31. In the meantime, the 31 is getting shelved in favor of the 32.

I saw that someone a while ago mentioned to check out Moosewood Horn Mouthpieces at www.hornmouthpiece.com. I think they could really help you out. Since they make two piece mouthpieces , they have a number of cups and rims that you can get on trial, so you won't be throwing any money away. Their "G" series are copies of the most popular mass produced mouthpieces (like the Schilke 30) and you could probably try one of those with a couple different rims. You could even get them to convert the M1 cup into a screw rim mouthpiece and then you could try rims from there. I think it costs about $35 to do that. I hope you get your Schilke 30 soon. It sounds like you might like it from the things you have described. You might find articulation a little less clean on it, though.

Hope some of this helped.

Yup, I think I mentioned Moosewood earlier. I will second Joe's thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the schilke 30 while I was out of town. It seems to have a really shallow cup relative to all of my other pieces so far. Which should give it a nice sound, I'll play on it later.