French Horn Mouthpiece

Shadow_7

I got the schilke 30 while I was out of town.

So far the 30 seems like a nice piece. It seems to have the best range(upper) of the pieces so far. I'd probably like a more open throat like the 32. But the 30 has a decent sound and plays well. I think the 32 and M1 slot the best of the pieces, the 31 has the worst slotting IMO.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used my Holton Farkas MDC since 1975. I feel it's the mouthpiece for a marching French Horn, it give me that Phat sound I need to project.

That's the mouthpiece I used on years when I marched French Horn. I tried several different ones (can't remember which now - that was back in the late 70s and early 80s), but decided the HF MDC worked best for me.

I use both a Holton MC and a Reynolds 6D (I've had it since high school).

Phillip Farkas had a great FH mouthpiece

Just a note (I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this), but Schilke still manufactures a mouthpiece close to the original Farkas model as the 30. I think the closest Holton version is the MC.

31C2 is what I have. I really like how wider the rim is. Mine is gold plated also and it feels nice on my lips.I bought it from a Horn Teacher in the spokane area. Thats what i would recomend!!!

Tran :grouphug:

Edited by tran

31C2 is what I have. I really like how wider the rim is. Mine is gold plated also and it feels nice on my lips.I bought it from a Horn Teacher in the spokane area. Thats what i would recomend!!!

Tran

This is the mouthpiece I currently play on - gold plated 31C2, but with the backbore opened up a little bit.

Hey my horn teacher is selling a Conn 28D?? Im not positive what it was. But it has a custom lead pipe and a detachable bell from Lawson. Um.... the price is 2,000 dollars since I'm one of her students. Should I go for it??? Need help!!!

:laugh:

Sorry kind off the topic.

Edited by tran

Hey my horn teacher is selling a Conn 28D?? Should I go for it??? Need help!!!

Is it a double horn? Bb/F? In good shape? Case also in good shape? Nickle plated rotors? ???

Do it!!!!!!! The 28D was a model that is basically an 8D made of yellow brass - great horns! If this one has a Lawson leadpipe and bell, it's extra good. The additions Lawson has made to those Conn horns has helped remedy many of the natural issues they have. At that price, the horn is an absolute steal. I would love to get one of those for that price!