Favorite Cluster Chords Used in corps?

ScoutsSoprano

• 3 weeks later...

A rather popular one is having triads against other triads. For example having a F major triad in the high brass against a Gb major in the low. Also you can experiment with minor against major. For example a E minor triad against C major. Just something to think about.

Triads on triads generally arent cluster chords. Bitonal stuff can usually be very consonant, and a 11'th chord fits the triad on triad description exactly. C11 = CEG and BDF at the same time. A real cluster is just what the name implies. A group of notes a 1/2 step apart. C/C#/D would be a cluster chord.

Just think all the notes of a chromatic scale played at the same time and you have a BIG cluster! but it doesn't have to be.

At scouts we usually took whatever the chord was we were previously on, and had some members go up a half atep, some down, and some stay. Added alot of dissonance while keeping the same tonality of the chord. For example, the last chord after the drum break in Scouts 2000, before the singing. That was a good cluster!

Edited by ScoutMello

We had one that was affectionatly known as "The Shocker". I think it was built off an Ab triad of some sort. Sounded quite cool at the end of a C/G/Bb7/Eb7 sequence.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Renegades 2003 - beginning of the Matrix!

Of course, it is only playing in my head right now, but you'll all hear it soon enough!

• 5 months later...

Excellent topic! OK, here I go... At 2:45 in Phantom Regiment 02, I just love it when they play Shostakovich's literal "signature" cluster chord of D-Eb-C-B (concert pitches...I know the notes Phantom plays there are different). In case you didn't know the history of this, here's how it has been explained to me... In German music (I know Shostakovich was Russian, but like I said, this is how it was explained to me!), S was the name of what we call Eb and H was the name for the note we call B. So this D-Eb-C-B chord that Shostakovich used (and that Phantom used at the end of their 2002 opener) spelled out D-S-C-H back then, as in Dmitri ShostakoviCH. Pretty cool, huh? B)

D...S...C...H...Dup diga dupdup digadup DUCKA digada digada DUCKA DUCKA DUCK! DugadugadugadugadugadugaDAK! DUCKa DUCKa DUCK! Psschta!Psschta!

At about 8:42 in Cadets 1989, right before their ballad "Bring Him Home". I'm not so sure if it's exactly a cluster chord, but it sounds like it. Don't know the notes either.