Jersey Surf 06

Sorry. I hope you enjoy this year's show.

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the soloist from Madison 05 is playing or teaching at surf?

The Guy is playing, from what I heard and the Hornline people are just jumping for joy over him.

Interesting....hope that works out for them then.

Madison----------------Surf

hmmmmm........................................ BIG CHANGE!!!!

Though I have not been a huge fan of all of Surf's recent productions ('00 and '05 are notable exceptions), and there have been some incidents with select members that have left a sour taste in my mouth; but I do have to stand up for them. Surf has a program that is unique in DCI. They provide a venue for young people to march that otherwise might not be able. They run a fantastic program their kids love and swear by to their friends. They learn a great deal, and enjoy a total drum corps experience. I don't know if it was your intention, but your comment seems to come off as somewhat demeaning to Surf; as though they're not a comparable drum corps? I think it's the caps that make me read it as though this is something especially radical, and I don't think you would've wrote that if the situation were reversed and he was going from Surf to Madison? Correct me if I'm wrong and you really do think someone moving from a DivII corps to a DivI corps would require the same level of exclamation?

You know, sometimes even top 12 DivI soloists need to hold down jobs. Surf is now probably the closest we have left to a "weekends-only junior corps" where you can work a M-F 8-5 during most of the summer. Surprisingly, there are a number of people who have to make a living or pay for school; and giving up an entire summer to march just isn't feasible. From personal experience, I can tell you this type of schedule has a lot of appeal out East and is similar to what many of our DCA corps undertake. In fact, we even had people come to LVK after marching DivI.

Maybe he's originally from NJ, or marched Surf in the past. Maybe he's marching a corps that's more convenient for him. Maybe he just likes their style more.

As far as talent is concerned, I think you'll be surprised how little difference there is between DivI and DivII/III. Really, the only difference is II/III corps are willing to take on a few less experienced members. If you remove the outliers, I think you'll find the talent pretty comparable. The remaining difference is in show design and rehearsal time. All this is evident in I&E scores. Yes, usually most contest winners are from top 12 DivI corps, but so too are the competitors who finish at the bottom. You'll usually find most of the II/III members in the middle of the pack, sandwiched between members of DivI corps. I marched a weekends-only corps, and the vast majority of the members did not have DivI aspirations. They came because they liked to march, and the schedule was especially convenient. This is apparent because after the corps folded, more than half our members emigrated to DCA corps. In general, these were among our more talented and experienced members (though there are some very notable exceptions).

Either way, the only difference this member'll likely experience is that he'll have many of the work-weeks off, there'll be a few newbies in the hornline, and the show'll be written accordingly for a corps with limited rehearsal time. I wouldn't call that a "big change." He'll still wake up at 7AM on camp days, he'll still put on his marching shoes, his hat, and his sunscreen before he takes the rehearsal field, he'll still sleep on gym floors, and he'll still perform in front of crowds that absolutely adore the fan-friendly shows his corps produces.

Edit: punctuation error.

Edited by vaguardguy

Though I have not been a huge fan of all of Surf's recent productions ('00 and '05 are notable exceptions), and there have been some incidents with select members that have left a sour taste in my mouth; but I do have to stand up for them. Surf has a program that is unique in DCI. They provide a venue for young people to march that otherwise might not be able. They run a fantastic program their kids love and swear by to their friends. They learn a great deal, and enjoy a total drum corps experience. I don't know if it was your intention, but your comment seems to come off as somewhat demeaning to Surf; as though they're not a comparable drum corps? I think it's the caps that make me read it as though this is something especially radical, and I don't think you would've wrote that if the situation were reversed and he was going from Surf to Madison? Correct me if I'm wrong and you really do think someone moving from a DivII corps to a DivI corps would require the same level of exclamation?

You know, sometimes even top 12 DivI soloists need to hold down jobs. Surf is now probably the closest we have left to a "weekends-only junior corps" where you can work a M-F 8-5 during most of the summer. Surprisingly, there are a number of people who have to make a living or pay for school; and giving up an entire summer to march just isn't feasible. From personal experience, I can tell you this type of schedule has a lot of appeal out East and is similar to what many of our DCA corps undertake. In fact, we even had people come to LVK after marching DivI.

Maybe he's originally from NJ, or marched Surf in the past. Maybe he's marching a corps that's more convenient for him. Maybe he just likes their style more.

As far as talent is concerned, I think you'll be surprised how little difference there is between DivI and DivII/III. Really, the only difference is II/III corps are willing to take on a few less experienced members. If you remove the outliers, I think you'll find the talent pretty comparable. The remaining difference is in show design and rehearsal time. All this is evident in I&E scores. Yes, usually most contest winners are from top 12 DivI corps, but so too are the competitors who finish at the bottom. You'll usually find most of the II/III members in the middle of the pack, sandwiched between members of DivI corps. I marched a weekends-only corps, and the vast majority of the members did not have DivI aspirations. They came because they liked to march, and the schedule was especially convenient. This is apparent because after the corps folded, more than half our members emigrated to DCA corps. In general, these were among our more talented and experienced members (though there are some very notable exceptions).

Either way, the only difference this member'll likely experience is that he'll have many of the work-weeks off, there'll be a few newbies in the hornline, and the show'll be written accordingly for a corps with limited rehearsal time. I wouldn't call that a "big change." He'll still wake up at 7AM on camp days, he'll still put on his marching shoes, his hat, and his sunscreen before he takes the rehearsal field, he'll still sleep on gym floors, and he'll still perform in front of crowds that absolutely adore the fan-friendly shows his corps produces.

I didn't mean to come off as demeaning. I myself marched a div. 2 corps and am marching a div. 1 this year. I LOVE the Surf....as my corps and their corps share a special bond with each other. Yes I would still put BIG CHANGE in caps if a person was going from div. 2 to div. 1 because the two divisions have their own ways of operating and surviving and both experiences are completely different to me. This is not a put down on div. 2. I loved my time there and am sure the soloist will have a great time, especially in Surf.

Don't read too much into the caps....sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

word.

but now, 10 bucks says that if there wasn't a soprano solo aready programmed into the show, there will be b**bs

~>conner

Well, I only know what I heard. I found that my information is flawed so I'll just eat my words and go sit alone... MY BAD!

Edited by Percussion827

Jersey Surf's December Camp was great. We got a lot done and worked on technique. The hornline is amazing this year. We've got the soprano soloist from the Madison Scouts' "The Carmen Project". Even though I was a little hesitent to join at first, mostly because of the show, I am glad I did.

The 2006 production of "Moulin Rouge" seems to be very well made, presenting the Jersey Surf's norm for pleasing the crowd, as well as giving more to the competitive aspect of it.

The overall mood seems serious, even the vets are talking about the seriousness of this year's show. It would be great if Jersey Surf could get up there in rank and win, but the Jersey Surf is very relaxed and is more geared toward having fun.

I believe that winning is fun. I just joined this year for the learning experience, but I hope the staff eventually begins to realize both goals can be achieved through victory.

Trust me I know Rick and alot of the other staff at surf they know winning is fun and they will give the members the tools it takes to win. While having Fun. Rick and Shorty know how to have fun. Being ex Cadets from the threepeat years I think helps in the know how to win column.

So enjoy the ride you are in good hands.

I am not shocked that the Kid from madison is with surf More of a hmmm cool. Surf has had other members go the other way 2001 soloist Matt went out to BD to solo.

Also I have heard and seen a few do D1 and then To D2.. Or D2 to D1 back to D2.. Sometimes D1 is not for everyone.

Knowing Rick if a solo is needed then he would write one and teach a person or persons to play them.

he is not a just because type of writer. Surf has the talent even before this young man arrived.

I look forward to surf this year as I do any other year. I know they ALL can and will achieve great things as their season progresses.

Edited by Bond624