Jersey Surf 06

What's wrong with G Bugles? They have a nice open sound and, in my opinion, are easier to tune than any-key bugles or F Mellophones. Star of Indiana, used G Bugle Mellophones. Do you have something against them?

Star HAD to use G bugles.

~>conner

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with G Bugles? They have a nice open sound and, in my opinion, are easier to tune than any-key bugles or F Mellophones. Star of Indiana, used G Bugle Mellophones. Do you have something against them?

As stated before back in star's day it was a requirement to play on G bugles. Now it's any key.

Now about the nice open sound thing, that is really depending on how you play.

I have to wonder where would some of the top division 1 corps be today if they still kept with G horns. I am a fan of G instruments because how unique they are, but are there any judging differences for a corps in G to endure when comparing them to corps in B flat?

I find that G horns offer up interesting challenges in terms of tuning when compared to Bb horns. They can also be slightly more challenging to blend well in comparison to Bb horns. So, naturally, a corps playing on G horns could be at a slight disadvantage when compared to similar lines playing on Bb. Just my impressions of the differences. I'll take those challenges in favor of the dark sound that is only possible on G horns. (not bashing Bb, just a preference)

maybe Surf has to use G Bugles; you ever think it could be a money thing? It costs a lot for a corps to do the switch

I wasn't reffering to money, I was just simply saying that at the time, G was required.

~>conner

All 5 years I was involved with drum corps I had to play on G horns. The low brass horns are awesome, you can get a really nice deep rich dark sound, but G high brass is horrible and should never be played. They are thin, bright, and hard as heck to keep in tune.

As being an ex soprano and mellophone player on G...

I prefere the upper brass on G also... The Bb tone sounds like a cat (and not in a good way). My preference is G, and personally can tell the difference between a Bb line and a G line just by the tone (and nothing to do with tuning). Granted, the low brass ARE better in G... but the sopranos are (IMO) a darker tone than on Bb.

I know it takes a little more work to get G lines in tune... but isn't that what music is all about? Learning your instrument and learning how to correctly play the horn?

With a little more effort on a G horn... it sounds darker and richer... I would love to imagine what the Blue Devils, Cavies, Phantom, and Carloina would sound like the last two years with a G line... espically PR's 03 show :worthy::worthy:

Surf is full of people that are a class act, and i'd reccomend them to any kid that wanted to march