An Evening With THE Madison Scout... Scott Stewart!

Madison Shows 1974-2002  

196 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Madison Show?

2. 2. Scott's last four years with Madison

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested in hearing Scott reflect on the 1982 season in which Madison and Phantom both had superb corps that matched up many times but with Madison finishing a close second in each case. Was it frustrating? Did the corps become obsessed with chasing Phantom, or were they content to come in second each time? Would especially love to hear about the legendary DCM Finals that year in which the two corps matched up and tied. Given a choice of sharing the title, flipping a coin, or playing off, both corps agreed to go out on the field and do it all again. . . and Phantom won . . again. Such unforgettable stuff.

When I went out to DCA finals in 2004 with the Govenaires, we picked up Scott along the way. Roman Blenski was driving the bus. There were a lot of great drum corps stories from the both of them, it was a real pleasure most of the bus ride there.

Scott has, I understand, come to really enjoy the DCA corps and has been a regular at the DCA championships the last few years.

I spent several weeks each of Scott's last three seasons as a volunteer driver for the Scouts. It was an experience which broadened my perspective of the activity (after 20 some years involvement in some capacity or another) and one which only becomes more valuable to me as time passes.

In 2003 I tried something different and spent the summer marching a soprano spot with Carolina Gold. The weather for prelims in Scranton was a bit rainy and, had it not been for that I may not have known Scott was there. We finished our opener and I glanced up to the 40 yard line box (where the DCM folks have a hospitality room going) directly in front of me. There I see Junko in a bright orange rain slicker jumping up and down cheering for us. The term 'wild enthusiasm' comes to mind. Beside Junko I spot Scott who is also generously applauding our opener.

It was cool realizing that now, like the young men I had been driving to Stillwater, San Francisco, San Antonio, Kennesaw, and numerous intermediate places, I too was having an opportunity to perform for Scott. And like the young men on my bus, I wanted to perform well for Scott.

Have a wondeful time this afternoon and, if by chance you read my post before the event begins, give Scott my best.

David Pressley

Edited by notelvis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Friends:

Thanks for all of the great emails and messages for Scott. Please keep them coming, along with other great ideas like some have suggested, such as making a short greeting video from Scott and Junko to post to all well wishers, and a slide show (photos) of the event.

Here's your opportunity to ask Scott specific questions about your favorite Madison show, tradition, myth, or anything else that you've always wondered about in regard to the Madison Scouts. We're looking forward to a great event on Sunday, and we hope you'll be able to share in it. Pass the word! Bye for now!

Bobby R. Lindsey

scoutquestions@mac.com

bobby, why are you leaving us hanging?

-ted

-ted

Maybe, it was all a scam?

-ted

Greetings once again my friends,

I'll start out with sincere apologies to all. I'm as guilty as guilty can be for not posting a timely response and review of a GREAT evening with Scott and Junko. Life (and the holidays) got in the way, but shortly after our event, I have been able to respond to most email messages received, as well as completed numerous phone conversations with quite a few locals and mutual friends of Scott and myself that are here in Wisconsin and nearby, but yes... I've left many of you hanging.:( I will correct that problem before the week is out... due to tons of deserved pressure from several sources.

What I thought would be an easy task of posting responses to specific questions has turned into a rather large (but cool) summary of the evening, as well as a pretty decent and candid review of many great years of the Madison Scouts. We ended up watching a few more shows than anticipated, and I ended up taking several pages of notes and tidbits that I will share with you all.

I know it's not cool to post something of novel length, so I'll share the highlights as well as some of the questions and answers that were not posted on this thread. For those interested in the entire review, you may send an email and I'll respond with the full Word attachment. Like you, the long months away from live corps performances is getting to me too, so I recognize that because of my delay the natives have become restless.

I humbly request a few more days to put all the pieces together (actually… to pull and post the most necessary excerpts from the full document) with some degree of flow and clarity, to make it more appropriate in length for this board. Thank you for your patience. :worthy:

• 2 months later...