Over 250 attend first round of auditions

We get tons and tons of people who try out for the drumline, so we don't have a choice to not make cuts. Unless they want to try out for cymbals. Or pick up some sort of mallet instrument, or even play a horn. But we definitly get an over load of kids for the drumline.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll cut less than you think. I'm willing to bet that a good number of those auditionees will "cut" themselves, which is a common occurance in drum corps throughout the winter and spring. That's one of the reasons, along with injuries, you'll see top Division I corps with a few holes in June.

In Glassmen, we referred to them as flakes. If they were from Indiana, they were Corn Flakes. Michiganders would be Frosted Flakes. Ohioans were Plain Flakes because, well, that's Ohio for ya.

Haha, thats awesome

With all that they have going for them, I really can't understand why AZ. Academy opted for D2 status next summer. Unless they just want that D2 title? I know for a fact they would give a number of D1's a real run for their money. Oh well, I am certain in time they will become a full D1 corps. One can only hope.

With all that they have going for them, I really can't understand why AZ. Academy opted for D2 status next summer. Unless they just want that D2 title? I know for a fact they would give a number of D1's a real run for their money. Oh well, I am certain in time they will become a full D1 corps. One can only hope.

They've only gone to one DCI regional since their inception (Drums Along the Rockies). They also have yet to compete in any Div II championships. I doubt DCI would let them switch.

You can't just "opt" to become a D1 corps these days. You have to appeal to DCI and they'll make the decision for you based upon your finances and various other factors (which I've never actually seen fully explained).

Edited by Orpheus

Rest assured, Academy will be D1 in the very near future.

In the meantime, they are taking their time and not biting off more than they can chew.

They have a BIG talented staff and lots of SUPER enthusiastic kids to march for them. You go to any marching band/corps function in AZ and you are garuanteed to see a few kids sporting Academy jackets, whether its the middle of summer or middle of winter.

I think its kinda silly to wear those things in the summer, but they're proud of their corps.

Having a fair amount of exposure to Academy, I can say that they are not just going to fill spots with bodies just to have the numbers on paper. No way. Go to their website right now, and see just how many people are still left on the 'callback' status.

Unfortunately, because of the marching histories of Academy's staff....I hope that the corps doesn't have difficulty retaining members in the next few years...(by history I mean that quite a few Academy staff members are Blue Devils alumnus or current BD staff members). IOW, I hope that Academy doesn't become the new BD/SCV feeder corps and can sustain themselves. Im not too worried about that, though.

anyways, look for Academy to be contender for the DII title this summer in Madison!

Rest assured, Academy will be D1 in the very near future.

In the meantime, they are taking their time and not biting off more than they can chew.

They have a BIG talented staff and lots of SUPER enthusiastic kids to march for them. You go to any marching band/corps function in AZ and you are garuanteed to see a few kids sporting Academy jackets, whether its the middle of summer or middle of winter.

I think its kinda silly to wear those things in the summer, but they're proud of their corps.

Having a fair amount of exposure to Academy, I can say that they are not just going to fill spots with bodies just to have the numbers on paper. No way. Go to their website right now, and see just how many people are still left on the 'callback' status.

Unfortunately, because of the marching histories of Academy's staff....I hope that the corps doesn't have difficulty retaining members in the next few years...(by history I mean that quite a few Academy staff members are Blue Devils alumnus or current BD staff members). IOW, I hope that Academy doesn't become the new BD/SCV feeder corps and can sustain themselves. Im not too worried about that, though.

anyways, look for Academy to be contender for the DII title this summer in Madison!

well if they go DIV I would they still (possibly) become a feeder corps? I went at looked at their website, and wow a lot of people i must say! lol but i think by the looks of that they wouldn't be a feeder corps, and it looks like they had some out of state people too wow! but what is their style like? is it like BD or SCV? or neither :laugh: lol

visually, Academy emulates the BD style. Visual caption head is a current BD vis staffer, and many of the vis techs are BD alums.

Musically....not so much, even though the current brass caption head is a BD hornline alum.

Academy kids seem to be all about BD/SCV. Lots have been going off to audition for those two corps after a year or two w/ Academy.