Pioneer

Play some U2 or something for goodness sakes!

Just an aside to lighten things up.

A few years ago Bob Adair became concerned that Reilly wasn't relating to the true Irish, but was only playing to the Irish-American shamrocks and Danny Boy crowd. He wrote a beautiful piece comprised of "true Irish" folk tunes, which he called "Celtic Symphony". It was later re-done by Larry Kerchner and was the best piece Reilly ever played, IMHO.

When I played it for my daughter, who has a degree in Celtic History and has spent much time in Ireland, she called it "Reilly plays Black 47". It turns out that Black 47 has a strong following among the IRA-types and uses the same tunes as bases for many of their own compositions.

When I talked to some of the members who went to Dublin for the St. Patrick's parade this year, I asked if they played "Celtic" "NO WAY" they responded. "We didn't want to get killed".

Don't know if they've transferred their MP3s to their new site, but if so, it's worth a listen.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Roman is a good man with a good heart. He loves this activity and loves Pioneer.

No one is doubting that!

You should ask him about his days back at the Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery though. I bet he has some great stories!

Anyways, as some of you might know, Roman can be a little hard headed. Just as all of us can. But you have to hand it to him.

The man has kept Pioneer alive through all the rigormoro that alot of other corps have not been able to withstand.

Like someone said earlier, Les Etoiles, Nite Express, Patriots, Acadamie de Musicale, now even Troopers. He has been able to keep Pioneer financially sound and able to have good food, down time and quality education for the kids.

I think that we can all agree to disagree that some people don't like other corps shows. We ALL have these moments.

We all have our ideas abot how a corps should do this or do that, but until we get on the board of directors or become a corps director, our input is going to mean squat!

So keep on flaming each other or keep standing up for each other, our opinion is NOT going to change the minds of those in power in the activity!

When was teh last time Pat Siedling or George Hopkins gave a rat's butt about what we thought on amping or going to Bb horns? They don't! So just like them and any other successful corps, they are gonna keep on keeping on!

Please don't start with the "Well, Pioneer is always in teh bottom! How can you call them a success?"

I feel that they are a success by going out every year, take a full tour, feed their kids, educate their kids, entertain their fans and come back without having a ton of debt!

These are just my opinions not any corps!

So let's just end this already!

Thanks!

Actually, Roman is a good man with a good heart. He loves this activity and loves Pioneer.

No one is doubting that!

You should ask him about his days back at the Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery though. I bet he has some great stories!

Anyways, as some of you might know, Roman can be a little hard headed. Just as all of us can. But you have to hand it to him.

The man has kept Pioneer alive through all the rigormoro that alot of other corps have not been able to withstand.

Like someone said earlier, Les Etoiles, Nite Express, Patriots, Acadamie de Musicale, now even Troopers. He has been able to keep Pioneer financially sound and able to have good food, down time and quality education for the kids.

I think that we can all agree to disagree that some people don't like other corps shows. We ALL have these moments.

We all have our ideas abot how a corps should do this or do that, but until we get on the board of directors or become a corps director, our input is going to mean squat!

So keep on flaming each other or keep standing up for each other, our opinion is NOT going to change the minds of those in power in the activity!

When was teh last time Pat Siedling or George Hopkins gave a rat's butt about what we thought on amping or going to Bb horns? They don't! So just like them and any other successful corps, they are gonna keep on keeping on!

Please don't start with the "Well, Pioneer is always in teh bottom! How can you call them a success?"

I feel that they are a success by going out every year, take a full tour, feed their kids, educate their kids, entertain their fans and come back without having a ton of debt!

Thanks!

Awesome, well said.

I just assumed he dropped the "O" in O'Blenski

:P

It's really funny that you should say that. There was once a congressman from Wisconsin whose name was Alvin O'Konski. :o

http://www.pcgazette.com/commentary/jan00/congress1-7.htm

My father used to get the biggest kick out of trying to figure out what the origin of that name was!

You are right about the uni's I was going on memory when I wrote that, sorry about that and here is a link to a picture of the Thing for you:

http://groups.msn.com/PioneerAlumni/thethi...oto&PhotoID=136

I appreciate that, thanks. It's funny how I remember the tops being blue rather than white though.

Here is a site that has some of the history of Pioneer on it for all of you to read about and it is written from the viewpoint of the Thunderbolts:

http://my.execpc.com/~thbolt/thunderboltpage.html

Thanks . . . .

• 4 months later...

No one is doubting that!

Thanks!

Thank your for stating this! This corps' motto "better every day" means so much more than just dci competition...this corps was like summer camp for many inner city kids that may not have a chance to do any such youth activity....some past members actually learned to play and instrument and read music through this program. Blenski is a very good man, with wholesome values and a large heart. One could say he is a gentlemen from the old school and has passed on his good values to his children who have also made their marks in this activity. Honesty, integrity and tolerance describe the Blenskis..he is a good friend.

First, thank you all for caring. I mean that seriously. If you didn't care, didn't want to help, then I would fear for the future of not only Pioneer, but drum corps in general. I don't mind, and I think the corps and its members can handle, criticism of all kinds. Just bring solutions and support along too.

As to this year's show, and several in the past as well, please don't stop by looking at the title or the "liner notes." See the show, take a breath, and ask your self: "Did I have a good time? Did the corps have a good time?" If yes, very cool, but even if not, please come over and let a staff member know. It won't be the first time I've gotten a comment. I have been lucky over the years to get more positive than negative, but believe me, there have been plenty of both. I haven't liked everything I've seen (or done), but that doesn't mean everybody (however defined) agreed. Value comes in many packages.

Looking forward to seeing and talking to all of you on tour this summer. I"ll be out with Pioneer. I'm the '73 age out in the white hat.