High Colorguard through the years

Byron

Yeah, and its the same exact work they do every year. Same set up, same release, same transitions, same phrasing, same setups going into impact, same hand positions, same planes being attacked...same everything, clean as a whistle, pretty to look at, but nothing new, and too much story telling and downtime

~G~

Cavaliers won guard too on finals night in '95...BD won overall...I think Cadets were 3rd in guard

M

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best guard in my opinion:

Blue Devils 1999 :ph34r::ph34r::music:

*opening and ending flag work=> PERFECT

*entire unit working the rifles during the second production=> INTENSE

*entire unit working the sabres during the ballad=> PASSIONATE

*best use of dance, ever.

perfect marriage of technique and performance..

'nuff said.

do i hear a second?

Yeah, I pretty much agree that '99 was one of Blue Devils absolute best guards...actually, I think '99 Blue Devils was the best version of them that we've ever seen (at least their current version). I don't think the've matched that year yet.

BUT...I think '99 SCV was the (one of) the best uses of dance ever...perhaps *the* best use, IMO...really intriguing stuff...

M

We were only given these plaques or gold medals sanctioned by DCI the years we took top guard. It was decided by DCI, not the staff saying we were the best, just to clear things up. I don't know why people don't remember it, I know I remember the announcements.

We always planned a special "present arms" because of those awards which were given out at many, many, many shows.....including DCI, given for the 1 night performance.

Blue Devils 1999 :ph34r::ph34r::music:

'nuff said.

do i hear a second?

OMG OMG OMG and OMG !!! I can not believe you said this as I have posted this same sentiment at least five times here on DCP in the past !! LOL

I totally agree that 1999 Blue Devils (along with the ending moments of 1991 Cadets) is the perfect marriage of dance and equipment and if you are gonna do it ? This is how it should look......Flawless technique, carriage, demanding, effective and just plain good !!

So, I guess you hear a second !!

~G~

I'm pretty sure that before the actual color guard caption was created, the corps that won GE won the color guard trophy (but I could be wrong about that). So, going by that premise, and the yearly recaps posted on fromthepressbox.com, here's what I find:

1972--(top GE) Santa Clara Vanguard

1973--(top GE) Santa Clara Vanguard

1974--(top GE) first-place tie between Santa Clara Vanguard and Madison Scouts

1975--(top GE) Santa Clara Vanguard

1976--(top GE) Blue Devils

1977--(top GE) Blue Devils (this appears to be off, in terms of color guard, because I'm seeing elsewhere in this thread that Phantom Regiment had the top guard that year, but I don't see any recognition of that in the recaps)

1978--(first year I see an actual color guard caption entered into the recaps) first-place tie between Santa Clara Vanguard and 27th Lancers

1979--three-way first-place tie between Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment and 27th Lancers

1980--(I don't see guard caption results posted for this year, so I'll go with the GE caption) 27th Lancers

1981--(top GE) Blue Devils

1982--(top GE) Blue Devils

1983--(top GE) Garfield Cadets

1984--(now we're back to having a color guard caption listed again) Blue Devils

1985--Spirit of Atlanta

1986--Blue Devils

1987--Spirit of Atlanta

1988--Phantom Regiment

1989--Garfield Cadets

1990--Blue Devils

1991--(not seeing a color guard entry in this recap, so I'm unsure how to determine this) top GE Visual went to Cavaliers, top GE overall was a tie between Star of Indiana and Phantom Regiment

1992--(top GE) Cadets

1993--(now we're back to seeing a color guard caption again in the recaps) Cadets

1994--Cadets

1995--Cavaliers

1996--Cadets

1997--Blue Devils

1998--Blue Devils

1999--Blue Devils

2000--Cavaliers

2001--Cavaliers

2002--Cavaliers

2003--Blue Devils

2004--Blue Devils

2005--Cadets

Edited by byline

I'm pretty sure that before the actual color guard caption was created, the corps that won GE won the color guard trophy (but I could be wrong about that).

Sue, no, thats not how it was done and that list is far from accurate and could cause much confusion. The list I gave previously here and in the other threads is the accurate list with the valid recipients of best colorguard.

~G~

Blue Devils 1999 :music::ph34r::ph34r:

'nuff said.

do i hear a second?

I second that. I can't tell you how amazing those sabres are in sync with eachother during the ballad (one of my favorite ballads Bad arrangement compared to phantom 04 but...)

I also have to wonder why Phantom 96 didn't win. That guard was so UNIFORM. I'm really upset phantom's guard is going to be co-ed :( They're so hot

I really Santa Clara Vanguard 2000 had some CRAZY stuff with an amazing rifle line.

Sue, no, thats not how it was done and that list is far from accurate and could cause much confusion. The list I gave previously here and in the other threads is the accurate list with the valid recipients of best colorguard.

~G~

OK, sorry 'bout the mistake, but note also that I've designated which were top GE and the others which were designated as having the top guard score, per the recaps from fromthepressbox.com. So there should be no confusion. The guards I've listed other than the top GE winners should be correct, unless they were listed incorrectly in the recaps; for any entry listed as "top GE," it should be clear that that's all that is. I acknowledged in my post that I could have been wrong about the top GE score being equated with top guard, but that's honestly the way I remembered it. Such is the flaw with relying on memory. I do wish the caption awards were listed along with the score recaps.

Edited by byline

I second that. I can't tell you how amazing those sabres are in sync with eachother during the ballad (one of my favorite ballads Bad arrangement compared to phantom 04 but...)

I also have to wonder why Phantom 96 didn't win. That guard was so UNIFORM. I'm really upset phantom's guard is going to be co-ed :( They're so hot

#1, BD's arrangement of adios nonino was by far better, (but PR had the better version of estancia)

#2, HAVE YOU SEEN CADETS 96?! sweet jesus, except for that one flag who messes up right before they all switch to flags in the closer, it seemed flawless.... AND the ending footwork with the flags as they're coming out from behind the props, AND the turns... WOW... all i can say, and i'm not even a guard person, thats like one of very few shows that i watch and am drawn to the colorguard more than i am the hornline.

They didn't win because they looked like a good high school guard compared to the Blue Devils and Cadets.

The thought process alone is enough to set those 2 guards ahead of everyone else that year. Now we can talk about combining body with equipment, having a greater variety and depth to their vocabularies, and just being more talented.

Phantoms guard that year may have been clean, but they weren't close to the 2 guards that beat them.