Thoughts on 2005 DVD

Aaw

However, I did enjoy The Cadets. They deserved to win. It definitely wasn't my favorite show, and I don't listen to it on CD as much as the other corps on disc 1. But it was sooo good, and you can see why they won on the DVD. They pulled off a very weird show, and they deserve their props. Clean everywhere, all parts of the corps was strong, and the guard work was practically flawless. It was on another level from all the other corps.

I also enjoyed The Blue Devils (my 2nd favorite show on Disc 1) and The Bluecoats. All the top 6 were great.

That's exactly it. The Cadets were on a totally different level. Everyone tries to compare them to other corps, when I don't think that's possible. Totally different level.

"All the top 6 were great." Only the top 6? I listened to some corps on the 13-24 CD, and I was impressed. Southwind, Colts, Capital Regiment, and more, had amazing shows.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"All the top 6 were great." Only the top 6? I listened to some corps on the 13-24 CD, and I was impressed. Southwind, Colts, Capital Regiment, and more, had amazing shows.

Absolutely. My statement that the 6 were great does not mean that the corps that placed 13-24 (or 7-12, for that matter) were bad. Quite the opposite...they were pretty good too!

Edited by jaylogan

I watched the DVD last night. I want to say that the Cavaliers did a great job of showing some EMOTION in this year's production! They've always been the Green Machine and all about execution, but in the closer it was great to see their faces and watch them have some fun!

That's exactly it. The Cadets were on a totally different level. Everyone tries to compare them to other corps, when I don't think that's possible. Totally different level.

totally agreed.

in fact, I have watched Southwind moreso than any other corps.

Also, I was completely blown away by Pioneer. The larger brass really helped them... it was fantastic.

~>conner

Not to be argumentative or defensive about Phantom's 2005 placement, but in the 30+ years I have been watching drum corps, I have come to realize that the above question applies equally to the judges. With all due respect to the judging community, they too are drum corps fans with their own inevitable human biases, which is why I stopped getting all that worked up about placements years ago. Here's to all corps having another great year in 2006!

I agree. Though they are trained to identify and separate their own biases from the adjudication philosophy. Some judges are more successful at this than others...

M

Edited by OMello1

I'll agree with the statement that the Cavaliers' drill is cleaner. But isnt it always? How about the music? Only once or twice did they let a musical idea come to full fruition. All of their musical arrangements were much to choppy and therefore, the entire show made no musical sense. Not only was Phantom given a better show to perform, they performed what they had better.

I found myself confused after watching Cavies. The difference in quality between PR's and Cavie's 05 productions is almost uncomparable. Where is the music in the Cavies show? The statement that "the hornline doesn't play while marching" holds true about 90 percent of the time. Now compare that with PR's line, playing rich melodies and tought technical passages while really on the go. If memory serves me correctly, Cavies and PR tied in horns that night. That is probably one of the most rediculous things I have ever seen out of the judging community. Where is the balance, blend, good intonation, rich sound in the Cavies hornline? Heck, where is the music?! I mean, this line doesn't play at all!

Also, as mentioned before the brass don't do much playing while doing these drills. If "Stop, Play, then Go" is the future of drum corps, I don't think I will enjoy it nearly as much....Now who can hum or even remember all of the selections from 05 Cavies?

Here's a tip, don't bash something you know absolutely nothing about.

Have a nice day. B)

I just got back from PR's December camp. If you're in the stands on Finals night in Madison and you aren't either crying or wetting yourself at the end of Phantom's show (Mahler), you're not human. The music is simply stunning.

Soooo totally and completely agreed. I was there in November, and even then it was just and OHMAGAWD type of reaction when I was listening to those that made the cut. Oh man, I am sooo excited to hear them this year!!!

I think The Cavaliers have DEFINATELY stepped it up in terms of "playing music" to match the visual. Especially since 03. Frameworks and Spin Cycle to 007 and Our Kind of Town is night and day when it comes to their attempt to match music to visual. Good for them, I say.

Again, agreed. They have really balanced out a lot in terms of music style these past two years. I must say that I do enjoy shows much more. Yay for finding a happy medium!

Oh, and go drum corps 2006!

I actually liked the Cavaliers this year. I've not liked the Cavaliers since 2000.

It's great this year every corps has had a very distinct and different approach. Each corps certainly took a cake in creativity. I don't think I've ever seen the non top 6 be this entertaining.

... The only other corps that put an equally impressive show on the field, (in terms of demand only), was The Cadets....

First off the only other corps in between is cavaliers. So basically you thought phantoms show was more demanding then cavies. I'm sorry but Demand is not the only factor in the judging system. And likewise you were not on the 50 standing 10 feet from phantoms trumpet line ( or cavieS) so how would you know what went down?

How can you say that the Cavies didn't play at all?

The cavies played jazz and what not ,I can hum that jazz solo any old day. And I can hear that intro , almost like a fox or NFL intro anyday.

please don't let your bais basically say everything opposite of what the cavaliers did. They played extremely technical lines, moved incredibly fast while playing. I mean you honestly think the cavaliers didn't move and play enough?

Edited by TealMello