Contra Exercises

CPHBARITONE

Try caber tossing. B)

Seriously, though, you're going to want to strengthen your lower back, arms, chest and shoulder muscles. I'd also suggest doing some exercises that help strengthen the muscles in your hands so you can grip the horn better.

agreed and also just work on holding your arms up for a while....i did plenty of excercises and i found that nothing prepared me for the blood rushing towards my elbows while the horn was up to playing position for long periods of time in a horn arc. i heard a good thing to try is holding a water cooler jug (5 gallons, 40 pounds full) as you would hold the horn...i never tried it, but it sounds pretty close except for the weight difference (heaviest horn is Kanstul, 26 pounds, most are 25)

On the warmup back field in 1979 Spirit did spin the Contras up from the ground to the shoulder. Might have been a first.

You guys would probably be amazed. Once you get this spinning stuff down, try blowing into the little end of the horn. It's really cool.

So that's what that Helleberg thingy is...you'd think after 20 years I would've figured that out.

To tell you the truth, I think I'm thinking the same thing you are - don't try for the icing if the cake is not any good. You gotta know what you are doing on the business end of the horn before you should even try for the extras.

As far as for the original question of this topic, you can try all kinds of different things to build up your contra carrying muscles, but the best thing that I did was just try not to be the first to drop form, and if possible, be the last. It doesn't matter how big or experienced your contra line is, about the time that you are getting tired, someone else is also. There will be ample moments throughout any practice where you can set down the horn and shake it out. We always had the legend of the lead (as in Pb) pipe fairy - she would come by overnight and turn the brass to lead - we swore that the horns were 15lbs heavier every morning. You will get to the point where there are strange muscles sticking out on one side of your body that aren't there on the other, and if you are lucky, you will get a nice huge callous on your left shoulder from where the horn sits.

Awesome... I have auditions this weekend so I'll be sure to make the best out of my concert tuba/water jugs. Thanks guys!

Well? So how did everything go?

• 3 weeks later...
(heaviest horn is Kanstul, 26 pounds, most are 25)

Depends on when the last time you cleaned it was. And how many mardi gras beads are still stuck in the horn. My Euph exceeds 25lbs when it's full of water. Well, I haven't actually weighed it that way, but it sure feels it. And I imagine there's at least 5lbs of stuff in my contra when I finally get around to fully cleaning it. I just need to find a bathtub big enough.