Corps Fundraisers

Eddie

In my mind, it's pretty clear cut:

When you're part of a team (the corps), you either all do what's expected and requested, or you find a team that will allow your individuality. Everyone share in the benefits of the fundraiser in terms of transportation, food, facilities, so everyone participates (or buys their way out).

Seems like a rather harsh approach, but with the season as short as it is and so many other distractions (jobs, school, family, etc), there's really not a lot of time for a ton of creative, "participate if you want", fundraisers. That's just one of the requirements you sign up for when you join (or are selected to) the team.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it bother you if the required dollar amount was added to the tour fee up front, with a proviso that if you did the fundraising the fee would be reduced? It ends up costing the same amount at the end of the day.

I would actually be more comfortable with that then having to say "Oh by the way, on top of your toue fee this year, you'll have to do these fundraisers to cover an additional X amount of dollars. If you can't do them, then it'll be added to your tour fee." It's more clear cut in my mind.

Having members work consessions stands, work a field show, a bingo hall, or whatever, I'm cool with, as long as it's in the contract. These types of fundraisers are there to cover the budget expenses of the organization and usually do not add or take away from the member's current tour fee, unless the organization sets something up like X amount of dollars towards your fee for X amount of hours worked.

But things like having to sell X amount of Krispy Kreme cards, coupon books, magazine subscriptions, etc... I'm not against using them. They should be there as an opptional tool to help lower the member's fee, but to have them forced on members... being set a form of quota or something, I'm not keen on.

....unless the organization sets something up like X amount of dollars towards your fee for X amount of hours worked.

But things like having to sell X amount of Krispy Kreme cards, coupon books, magazine subscriptions, etc... I'm not against using them. They should be there as an opptional tool to help lower the member's fee, but to have them forced on members... being set a form of quota or something, I'm not keen on.

So what is the difference between these two? They sound like the same thing.

Is the glass half full or half empty? How about..... half of it has water and the other half doesn't

Sell $20 of Krispy Kreme or buy the cards yourself. You have the option to sell them or buy them. What drum corps are you posting about? Is there somebody out there deceiving their members and tricking them into joining without telling them all the requirements up front? If a corps tells them they have to do it to be a member what is wrong with that. They will end up paying for it another way. I think options are great!!!

It sounds like feel good semantics to me.

Mmmmmmm Krispy Kreme!!!!

Fundraising is a good idea, in my opinion, as long as it's handled in a logical, organized, and FAIR manner. I once heard a story about a corps introducing a fundraiser to the members in April, long after they had set their tour fee amount at the beginning of the season, and told them that if they didn't participate, the amount would be tacked on to their tour fee.

I think this is what Eddie is trying to get at, and I think it's just wrong. The corps has already told their members "you have to pay $X to participate", and then later decided to increase that amount. It's great that they found a way to fundraise money, but it's simply unethical to do this to kids so late in the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in my hometown corps the management decided that we were going to try to break the world's record for the longest parade as a funraiser idea. We had to go get people to sponsor us for each mile we would march. We marched over 40 and didnt make the record book on a technicality. I would not like to see corps do this kind of fundraiser.