Corps Fundraisers

Eddie

I totally agree with you that it is unfair.

In the interest of fairness, I think that it really isn't fair that a drum corps should be expected to provide food, transportation, uniforms, instruction, and the opportunity to perform to all members who are not current in theri tour fees. Only those who are current in paying their fees will be able to perform. If that means that there are 35 holes in a show, so be it.

In an ideal world should you be "forced" to participate in a fund-raiser? Absolutely not! You should do it willingly because you understand that your tour fee covers maybe 50% of the expense of hauling you around the country for a few weeks in the summer.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I feel like I'm wording this differently every time :) ) I guess.

No guessing..... you are wording if different every time.

Read what I wrote.

Okay fine then. Try this. It costs everybody $3,000 to march.

In corps A you can pay $2,000 and sell $1,000 worth of crap (just go with me and assume it is 100% profit) or fork over $1,000 more for a total of $3,000.

In corps B you must pay $3,000 and there is no option to MAKE IT CHEAPER BY FUNDRAISING.

You think that corps A is bad because of the fundraiser and I think it is great because the kid that can sell has an option. Corps B doesn't give anybody any options. What about the kid that can sell? For the kid that can't sell..... well either corps is the same fundraiser or not.

The money has to come from somewhere...... the fundraiser is an option to help. Get rid of it and nobody has any options.

What do you suggest? They print counterfeit because without the fundrasier where does that money come from? ........ That's right - they raise the tour fee with no options to fundraise for it.

Again, I'm not saying do away with fundraising, I'm just not keen on forcing members to become salesmen for the corps or face a larger tour fee.

But alas, I'm just looking for feedback and opinions, and your's has been noted with grace :)

Thanks for the input

Edited by bari_benzo

This question popped into my head just last night as I was looking through various corps' information.

Should members be forced to participate in corps fundraisers?

I just want to flat out say no, but situations like working a field show I can understand. But being forced to sell stuff like Krispy Kreme discount cards or add space in a program book or something along that line (creating salesmen) I really can't see as a good thing. And I ask this because there is a corps whose information I read stated that if at least X amount of dollars worth of such and such stuff is not sold by members, then that minimum amount would be tagged onto the tour fee. I find this to be extremely ridiculous IMHO.

What do you think?

I think this is a good lesson for kids. The kid makes the decision to march in a corps and should abide by the requirements that the corps has in place. Whether it is fair or not is a non-issue IMO. If I was on the job and part of my job requirement was to meet a certain quota or hit the door I would either 1) abide by the quota and secure my future with the company, or 2) hit the road and find another company where the rules or requirements were not as stringent....bottom line is that it depends on how much you want to be a member of that corps and how well you fit in to that corps culture, which includes fundraising. As we read about how PR is having problems paying the bills and keeping the corps afloat, we should keep in mind that drum corps is expensive and the marching members should be willing and able to contribute with either time, money, fundraising, or whatever it takes to put a successful corps on the field. In 1976 the members of the Anaheim Kingsmen went door to door to sell raffle tickets just to keep the corps alive during the rebuilding years...even though drum corps has changed drastically since that time, the willingness of todays marchers to support their corps should remain intact B)

Again, I'm not saying do away with fundraising, I'm just not keen on forcing members to become salesmen for the corps or face a larger tour fee.

But alas, I'm just looking for feedback and opinions, and your's has been noted with grace :)

Thanks for the input

I've got news for you. Without the fund-raising, you will be forced to pay a higher tour fee. What you may not understand is that some fund-raisers are very labor intensive. Running a concessions stand at a local sporting venue, for example, might require at least 8 people per game. In order to get the maximum amount of profit, the corps would need to provide that minimum over the entire course of a season. If you go under the assumption that there are about 80 games per season, that means the corps needs to provide about 1600 workers over the course of the season. If they are understaffed for some events, then they are actually penalized.

I am sure you are not aware of this. The reason you are not aware of it is that you don't need to be. You need to learn your dots, learn your music, get out to rehearsal, and get on the bus according to a schedule that has been laid out for you by others. Your corps management makes those decisions so you don't have to worry about it.

In effect the corps you are referring to has most likely set the tour fee and then built in a discount based on each member working a certain number of games. That actually gets more people in the door. Ultimately it gives you the "individual" a better experience because you are able to be surrounded by stronger performers.

I personally think paying the tour fees are enough, which is up in cost now.

But then on the other hand, it OUR corps, so we gotta do what we can to keep it around. The corps I've marched have similar fund raisers. $50-75 in ads for the home show or work bingo. Ads sometimes work, but the best fund raiser I did was the entire corps working bingo. Having 40 kids with corps shirts on selling candy and other corps stuff, works well. The old people can't say no to kids.

So in response to the question. YES members should participate in Fund Raising.

As far as fundraising, I think it is a wonderful idea, and anyone who does it for the corps is helping out in a major way. In regards to fundraising for a tuition/tour fee; I never fundraised, I just went ahead and paid the tuition/tour fee (well my grandma did). It would have been more work for me to go and try to get people to by this or that product, and in the long run, I probably wouldn't have got much back from it anyway.

Now for corps fundraisers, where the money is going to the corps for the corps--that is different. It's extremely hard to fundraise when you have hundreds of kids in your area doing the same activity as you. With me being from California and marching in a Washington corps, many people just looked at me funny and laughed "Well, you know Blue Devils and Vanguard?" (those were the questions and answers I would get). And the option of me fundraising outside of my area was out, because people are so territorial (Like me fundraising in Washington was going to happen).

And many people have the mindset... Why should I buy this from you, when I can go to my local (Insert Whatever)? I felt a lot better when my fees were just paid off in full up front, that way I could spend the time attempting to do the full corps fundraisers where everyone in the corps pitched in for the general corps.

Anywho, it works for some people, but for many, it is just easy to pay off whatever fees there are, or get a sponsor to help defer the fees. Fundraising needs to be creative in order for it to work...

To answer the other question.

If the member(s) have the money to pay whatever fee or goal that needs or should to be met by each member for a corps fundraiser, I think that is perfectly fine, because the member is still giving their share to the organization.

Should a member not be as financially sound as the above case, then fundraising probably should be required, so the goal can be partially or close to fully met as possible.

I always hated fundraising. I would much rather pay a fee than fundraise. Shouldn't I decide whether to work my job and pay cash or to work bingo for a few hours? I had to stand with a can in an intersection for several hours one time (during a camp), I would rather have worked four hours at my job and fork over the money.

Fundraising a great, and selling candy bars door to door may build character, but kids should be given the option to "opt out" with a higher fee. Oh, and if you can't afford the money, you better start selling!!