Used horn pricing and availability

We're going to need horns for our line and naturally our budget is, um, well you know how that goes!

Anyway, I'm curious what the average prices are for used horns. Are B flat horns generally more expensive than the G's (it would seem that way)? Here's a good chance for you to voice opinions about different makes of horns (that should make for a rousing thread!).

Also, if you have any horns to sell, please pm me and we can tawk.

Thanks

We're going to need horns for our line and naturally our budget is, um, well you know how that goes!

Anyway, I'm curious what the average prices are for used horns. Are B flat horns generally more expensive than the G's (it would seem that way)? Here's a good chance for you to voice opinions about different makes of horns (that should make for a rousing thread!).

Also, if you have any horns to sell, please pm me and we can tawk.

Thanks

That depends Bb horns are MUCH MUCH more plentiful and easy to get.

OK, that's really good to know.

So what's the typical used price for:

B flat

Trumpet/Sop - $100 to as much as you want to pay. Just have trumpet players bring their own.

Mellophone - $65 to $700.00

Baritone - $150 to $1,000

Euphonium - $300 to $1,500

Contra - $1,200 to $5,000.

G

Trumpet/Sop - $50 to $150

Mellophone - $50 to $200

Baritone - $65 to $200

Euphonium - $65 to $300

Contra - $250 to $1,200

I found Bb & F Horns to be more expensive than 2 valve G bugles. Three valve G bugles are pretty scarce, however you may run into a pocket of those from time to time. You will not have any problem finding used band instruments in the trumpet, mello, bari voices. Now tubas may be more difficult to find. The above prices I've listed are typical of the 2 valve G bugle market as I've experienced it. It all depends on demand, condition and how much the owner want s to get rid of the product. I also put my estimates for the band stuff as I did a lot of shopping in that used arena before I found my bugles.

That's my .02 cents.

My old man is looking for a used baritone, preferably silver, so that he doesn't have to borrow one again this year when he marches Westshoremen Alumni. He isn't tech-savvy at all, so that is why I am asking for him. If anyone has something that they are willing to sell, let me know...he's not looking to spend alot of money, the corps he is with only does a couple performances a year. Thanks!

My old man is looking for a used baritone, preferably silver, so that he doesn't have to borrow one again this year when he marches Westshoremen Alumni. He isn't tech-savvy at all, so that is why I am asking for him. If anyone has something that they are willing to sell, let me know...he's not looking to spend alot of money, the corps he is with only does a couple performances a year. Thanks!

sent to PM

Edited by jbabymusic

I have two good working Bb trumpets for sale cheap. I just don't need them and with my new house, I haven't the room to store them anymore. One has a good case, the other has a broken case, but the horn is fine. They are yellow, though. Not sure if those help or not, but they're there if you like. It's better than nothing and likely cheaper than whatever else you'll find.