National Dream Contest Roosevelt Stadium

First Corps to sit down on the starting line I believe was, St Kevins at the Eastern Mass Finals. The inspection judge had gone through (5) people and already had marked the Corps off by 1/2 point so the DM, Walter Curtis cut the inspection short and ordered the Corps to "Sit".

I believe this was the first and then the Reveries did it in Roosevelt Stadium in later years. (MM instructor, Walter Curtis) Hmmmm

I figured he was just gonna step off a spot (Drill Wise)..i remember how you guys did that, that year...very nice drill BTW!

I was only bustin' 'em Tony, but i liked the napping, coffee break comment LOL!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Napping?.......on a coffee break?........ :blush:

(we were setting up, I was calling dress center.....I think b**bs )

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/198..._white_dm.shtml

(It was 1982, I can't remember last week... b**bs )

Tony B)

I figured he was just gonna step off a spot (Drill Wise)..i remember how you guys did that, that year...very nice drill BTW!

I was only bustin' 'em Tony, but i liked the napping, coffee break comment LOL!

hehehe.... b**bs

Tony B)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1971, marching and playing French Horn, New York Skyliners. In my opinion the best performance by New York that year. The crowd was amazing, as it usually was on the hottest Sunday in August. I remember playing our ending fan-fare and seeing everyone on their feet screaming and yelling (New York). If I recall, one judge had a hard time hearing us from the stands, because of the ovation we got when we left in a company front, to the reprise of Little Old New York, crossing the finish line.

All of the Dream contest gave me great memories from all corps that competed. I used to travel to Jersey City every year while I was in junior corps, OLPH Ridgemen and St. Rocco’s Cadets, just to be part of this GREAT SHOW!

I can go on and on about this, but we should hear from all who competed, and or was a spectator with their memories.

Sometimes I wish I could go back just one more time. Writing and reading these post helps.

Great memory of that day Joe. I was there too, but spectating as a Blue Rock staffer........sad to think it's all gone, but the memories........thanks Fred and other contributors

Jimbalaya

OK Fred.........you mention the full retreat at the Dream. What was the only corps in the history of the Dream (or possibly any other contest for that matter) to ever appear at a full retreat in blazers, slacks and ties????

Jimbalaya

^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

Boy, I'll tell ya what...it was SOOOO much fun to make!!! and you know what else..I have been thinking about it a lot in the last 24 hrs........ there is NOTHING like that show any more!!!!the whole package I mean!! There used to be the excitement of the show you knew you were gonna see (Heading down) then you got to Jersey had the Tidal "AROMA" and other smells..(That I never smelled in CT anyway)....we always got there with enough time to get something decent to eat and hang out... we would maybe watch a corps in the parking lot for a while then just relax under one of those trees for a while.

I marched in several Dreams but NEVER @ Roosevelt........ BUMMER I would REALLY have liked to do a show there!! What a Classic Venue!!! That place had EVERYTHING you could ever possibly want at a show.

A place to play for kids, hang out in the shade for adults, food from the vendor carts, ice cream trucks. Actually PLENTY of parking, a place to set up and practice right at the site. I wonder 'cause I never Marched there, did they have showers there??? I would imagine that they did. I would walk over to the sea wall and feel the cool ocean breeze. Check out MY BRIDGE!! PS It's still there check the link to Society Hills!

Then you would go in to the show........heart beating faster, (For the contestants too I will bet my bottom dollar) Wipe the Pterodactyl SH&t off your seat (If you could)... if not you got newspaper to cover the seat. You then took your seat and started to anticipate what you would see that day: how good would Sky Cabs and Hurcs be??? were the Bridgemen really THAT good?? St. Lucy's or Sac, were they there?? we saw GARFIELD HOPPY!!! that morning in a store parking lot.

PS special note to Hoppy...change is OK over the long term, but you cannot (Without Pissing People Off) jam EVERYTHING down people's throats EVERY SINGLE YEAR!...these people, many of whom have been around drum corps longer than when YOU were a gleam in your Daddy's eye. Anyhow, off my Rant.

You sat down and took it all in..... Cool, if it rains, I'm under an overhang...wow the Pigeons up there actually look ######, oh well....down on the field were all the familiar scenes..Moe Knox (and Yes Bell Bottoms)

Couple guys with Cabs and Sky Pants on (and tee shirts)... there he is Father???? never could remember his name, and all the poor Nuns in those Habits..(I now know the Habit probably protected from the Sun) sort of like my overhang (Roof)....anyway...the people always got Antsy there and started to clap, you know 90-100 BPM dut..dut..dut.dut..dut dut..dut..dut.dut..dut Come on, we want Drum Corps!!!!!!!!!!! Then the first Corps would come onto the field...who was it..The Boise Spuds, never heard of them before but they weren't supposed to be that great...Ladies and Gents..The Boise Spuds!!!!! claps claps cheer cheer!!!!!! gotta be nice for this poor corps ya know...... Mark Time March and Bhat Dah Bhat dat da dah da dah duh dah dahhhh......................MAN THESE GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wall of sound!!! I have to say, I NEVER saw a Sh%^^y corps OR perfomance @ the Dream.............NEVER!!!!! Juniors at that point in the season would out-execute the Seniors...But the Seniors Always gave a lot of mid-season (This is the Dream!!) emotion to the crowd.

Then they had Retreat..........no major suprises....not like OTHER shows anyway!!! (even the judges didn't want to mess with GOD ya know!!)and you got back into the car...got right out of there and drove home exhausted...but with a BIG SMILE on your face after what you had just seen.......... Humming or whistling songs you remembered from that day.

During the following week..thinking of NOTHING else but Drum Corps even though I am Not Marching this year....I GOTTA GO TO CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta get one last fix before the winter!!!!!

****Special note to all Dream Fans**** Yes, the Dream was always a "Special" show Just like a Championship all on it's own. You CANNOT imagine the fun, emotions, happy tears, frog in the throat, etc. etc.etc. that I got from writing this but God was it therapeutic... the same as the Dream always was.. I NEVER saw a Bad Dream Contest....NEVER saw a bad performance there...ALWAYS had fun.....so to the sponsors for so many years THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! even as belated as my Thanks are I hope you hear them, or feel them whatever the case!!!! ******** ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

OK Fred.........you mention the full retreat at the Dream. What was the only corps in the history of the Dream (or possibly any other contest for that matter) to ever appear at a full retreat in blazers, slacks and ties????

Jimbalaya

Mr C. - The one and only Archer-Epler Musketeers! 1962? 1963?

Ray

Mr C. - The one and only Archer-Epler Musketeers! 1962? 1963?

Ray

Give that man one of Johnny Grass's ceeegars..........it was Archie 1963. Nice that you recalled that Ray. We wore that get up for a few jobs that year, but the Dream was the only contest.

Jimbalaya

• 4 weeks later...

A story from a few years back......

Dream Memories

Scalding Sunday sun... the Siren-coaxing sound of rehearsing horns and drums heard from a distance of three blocks before you reach the stadium... coughing monoxide fumes in the parking lots... symbiotically impassive mounted Jersey City police and their horses maneuvering orderliness and direction to wayward busses, cars, and people... jackets of every color and corps... impatiently squirming queues at the ticket windows... “Dream Contest programs! Get your Dream Contest programs!” ...the summer complementary mingled aroma of beer, hot dogs, and French fries that assails you from the shadowed food stands... your first vision of the green and brown and freshly painted whiteness of the legendary, elemental field... the rush to get to the best seats, only to discover that they are “officially” taken by the flock of black and white adorned nuns cerememoniously perched there... the indigenous, came-with-the-stadium flocks of pigeons that unceremoniously perch everywhere... the restlessness during the Star Spangled Banner... and...

The so slow to come/so quick to end, once in a lifetime, pure joy of competing in your first Dream... the inexplicable reason for your uniform colors seeming to be brighter today... admiring, envious faces of kids in other corps who will never know this experience...the PA announcer proclaiming, “On the starting line, from _________. The_________!”... applause and cheers from the sun and smoke hazed crowd... the step-by-step adrenaline intensity that increases with each drum major-egotistical step... the first note/drumbeat... your leap of faith first step... more cheers... the last World War/Broadway/Hollywood color presentation that unseats the audience more by loyalty than habit... your concert piece that nearly everyone can sing or dance or clap or foot-tap to... the exit number that says goodbye to summer, farewell to love, you know who we are, please don’t forget me, you know how I love you. See you next year... the last note... the standing ovation... the one-more-time. “From ________. The________!” ...and then trying futilely to relive the eye-blink performance that ended five minutes ago...

Last-note waiting EMT volunteers who don’t need to wait that long for a casualty...the in-between performances rush to the rest rooms... the last-drop-empty cans of Balllantine beer spilling over their corner hidden pails... a quick “Hello” here... a hurried, “Hey, good to see you!” there... “####! Wish the *&%$# line would at least move!”... “Was that thunder?”...a balding, chain smoking guy at the back of the field who never seems to stop pacing... a big guy on crutches at the front of the field who seems to be vigilantly watching him... and...

The still-in-uniform trek through the stands--“Hey, nice job!”... “Good show!”... a quick waved, “Thanks!”-- then to the outfield bleachers to catch a few corps before retreat... the names of the once great, near great, now great, that you hear in blaring, public announcements, and privileged, personal pronouncements... the litany of: Blessed Sacrament, Holy Name, St. Vincent, St. Kevin, St. Joseph, St. Andrew, St. Ignatius, St. Patrick, St. Mary, more Saints, Our Lady of Grace, Our Lady of Loretto... semi-secular Knights, Crusaders, Lancers, Musketeers, Cavaliers... a Royal Brigade, Royal Airs, Imperials, Princemen... ethnical Kilties, Caballeros, Matadors, and young Muchachos... warring Troopers, Crossmen, Rockets, a Squadron, and more Cadets... recalcitrant Raiders, Rebels, and discrete Diplomats... spectacular Sunrisers, devastating Hurricanes, and follow the North Star ... unusual Blue Rocks, and whimsical Lampligters followed by a band of ofBrewers... soaring Skyliners... delightful, but dangerous Bonbons... and a Thing.

The capricious August thunderstorm that did/did not appear this year... the self-created marktime march dirt clouds the corps mystically move through as they assemble for retreat in the dying, humidity drenched remnants of this nearly-end-of-the-season summer day... another, “I want to thank... we owe so much to... if it hadn’t been for... ” speech... the chemically-conditioned Jersey City/Newark Bay sky gaudily flaunting ethereal twilight spectrums... a solitary “To the Colors” ...and...

“In fourth place, with a score of___, point___ ,the___________!” ... “And, in second place with a score of___, point 886, the __________!” “What?!?! How the ####?” ...the wait ‘til-next-year- if-they-invite- us- back- concealed tear... and then a tale of “lasts:” the illusory this-will-last-forever joy... the last song before you leave the field... the last cheers and applause from the...

“We gotta get goin’. You know how this Jersey traffic is!” crowd... more bus fumes, police, and horses... ###### Jersey drivers! ...and New York drivers! ...and Pennsylvania drivers! ...and, “Go back to Illanoyz!”

The silent/noisy bus ride home... elation/sadness... and “Jeez! We were in The Dream!”

~ Mario

wow..........thanks Mar...........I can see Jomba pointing that bass stick at Phil Mafouse at retreat in '64

A story from a few years back......

Dream Memories

Scalding Sunday sun... the Siren-coaxing sound of rehearsing horns and drums heard from a distance of three blocks before you reach the stadium... coughing monoxide fumes in the parking lots... symbiotically impassive mounted Jersey City police and their horses maneuvering orderliness and direction to wayward busses, cars, and people... jackets of every color and corps... impatiently squirming queues at the ticket windows... “Dream Contest programs! Get your Dream Contest programs!” ...the summer complementary mingled aroma of beer, hot dogs, and French fries that assails you from the shadowed food stands... your first vision of the green and brown and freshly painted whiteness of the legendary, elemental field... the rush to get to the best seats, only to discover that they are “officially” taken by the flock of black and white adorned nuns cerememoniously perched there... the indigenous, came-with-the-stadium flocks of pigeons that unceremoniously perch everywhere... the restlessness during the Star Spangled Banner... and...

The so slow to come/so quick to end, once in a lifetime, pure joy of competing in your first Dream... the inexplicable reason for your uniform colors seeming to be brighter today... admiring, envious faces of kids in other corps who will never know this experience...the PA announcer proclaiming, “On the starting line, from _________. The_________!”... applause and cheers from the sun and smoke hazed crowd... the step-by-step adrenaline intensity that increases with each drum major-egotistical step... the first note/drumbeat... your leap of faith first step... more cheers... the last World War/Broadway/Hollywood color presentation that unseats the audience more by loyalty than habit... your concert piece that nearly everyone can sing or dance or clap or foot-tap to... the exit number that says goodbye to summer, farewell to love, you know who we are, please don’t forget me, you know how I love you. See you next year... the last note... the standing ovation... the one-more-time. “From ________. The________!” ...and then trying futilely to relive the eye-blink performance that ended five minutes ago...

Last-note waiting EMT volunteers who don’t need to wait that long for a casualty...the in-between performances rush to the rest rooms... the last-drop-empty cans of Balllantine beer spilling over their corner hidden pails... a quick “Hello” here... a hurried, “Hey, good to see you!” there... “####! Wish the *&%$# line would at least move!”... “Was that thunder?”...a balding, chain smoking guy at the back of the field who never seems to stop pacing... a big guy on crutches at the front of the field who seems to be vigilantly watching him... and...

The still-in-uniform trek through the stands--“Hey, nice job!”... “Good show!”... a quick waved, “Thanks!”-- then to the outfield bleachers to catch a few corps before retreat... the names of the once great, near great, now great, that you hear in blaring, public announcements, and privileged, personal pronouncements... the litany of: Blessed Sacrament, Holy Name, St. Vincent, St. Kevin, St. Joseph, St. Andrew, St. Ignatius, St. Patrick, St. Mary, more Saints, Our Lady of Grace, Our Lady of Loretto... semi-secular Knights, Crusaders, Lancers, Musketeers, Cavaliers... a Royal Brigade, Royal Airs, Imperials, Princemen... ethnical Kilties, Caballeros, Matadors, and young Muchachos... warring Troopers, Crossmen, Rockets, a Squadron, and more Cadets... recalcitrant Raiders, Rebels, and discrete Diplomats... spectacular Sunrisers, devastating Hurricanes, and follow the North Star ... unusual Blue Rocks, and whimsical Lampligters followed by a band of ofBrewers... soaring Skyliners... delightful, but dangerous Bonbons... and a Thing.

The capricious August thunderstorm that did/did not appear this year... the self-created marktime march dirt clouds the corps mystically move through as they assemble for retreat in the dying, humidity drenched remnants of this nearly-end-of-the-season summer day... another, “I want to thank... we owe so much to... if it hadn’t been for... ” speech... the chemically-conditioned Jersey City/Newark Bay sky gaudily flaunting ethereal twilight spectrums... a solitary “To the Colors” ...and...

“In fourth place, with a score of___, point___ ,the___________!” ... “And, in second place with a score of___, point 886, the __________!” “What?!?! How the ####?” ...the wait ‘til-next-year- if-they-invite- us- back- concealed tear... and then a tale of “lasts:” the illusory this-will-last-forever joy... the last song before you leave the field... the last cheers and applause from the...

“We gotta get goin’. You know how this Jersey traffic is!” crowd... more bus fumes, police, and horses... ###### Jersey drivers! ...and New York drivers! ...and Pennsylvania drivers! ...and, “Go back to Illanoyz!”

The silent/noisy bus ride home... elation/sadness... and “Jeez! We were in The Dream!”

~ Mario