National Dream Contest Roosevelt Stadium

My memories of the 1974 Dream ...

I'm the niece of an original Gabarina, and had heard stories about corps long before I joined the Saints when they were formed in 1967. Seven years later, my "dream" to finally march in the Dream for the first time was dashed when I collapsed with mono that morning when trying to leave the house to catch the corps bus ... missed the rest of the season.

I was in isolation watching Nixon resign while the rest of the corps headed up to Lynn MA to march in the World Open ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe the closest thing since was DCI East Prelims

but now that been taken away along with retreat ceremonies

reducing the pleasure of the event drastically

• 2 weeks later...
1971, marching and playing French Horn, New York Skyliners. In my opinion the best performance by New York that year. The crowd was amazing, as it usually was on the hottest Sunday in August. I remember playing our ending fan-fare and seeing everyone on their feet screaming and yelling (New York). If I recall, one judge had a hard time hearing us from the stands, because of the ovation we got when we left in a company front, to the reprise of Little Old New York, crossing the finish line.

All of the Dream contest gave me great memories from all corps that competed. I used to travel to Jersey City every year while I was in junior corps, OLPH Ridgemen and St. Rocco’s Cadets, just to be part of this GREAT SHOW!

I can go on and on about this, but we should hear from all who competed, and or was a spectator with their memories.

Sometimes I wish I could go back just one more time. Writing and reading these post helps.

i marched with rochester crusaders. we competed at the 71 dream. i was awstruck by that show. i watched the skyliners and in my opinion THAT was the best performance ever that sky did. the horns were so hot i thought they were gonna melt. the drumline did an awsome job that day. i thoufht we did a great performane till i saw sky ....then i knew they would win. in all my years in drum corps i never saw sky do a show like that before or after. they were magnificent. that was wes myers 1st year as drum instrutor & believe me he made a huge difference. i don't know what got into sky that afternoon but i wish i had some of it. :wink:

i marched with rochester crusaders. we competed at the 71 dream. i was awstruck by that show. i watched the skyliners and in my opinion THAT was the best performance ever that sky did. the horns were so hot i thought they were gonna melt. the drumline did an awsome job that day. i thoufht we did a great performane till i saw sky ....then i knew they would win. in all my years in drum corps i never saw sky do a show like that before or after. they were magnificent. that was wes myers 1st year as drum instrutor & believe me he made a huge difference. i don't know what got into sky that afternoon but i wish i had some of it. :worthy:

It's great to have memories like this. It was a magical day for NY. If I remember, you guy's were pretty great yourselfs. As much as we were rivals, back then, I always watched the Crusaders evey chance I had. I couldn't say so at the time, but I really enjoyed how you guy's played. You always put on a great show, and most times it could have been a coin flip to see who wins tonight.

It's great to have memories like this. It was a magical day for NY. If I remember, you guy's were pretty great yourselfs. As much as we were rivals, back then, I always watched the Crusaders evey chance I had. I couldn't say so at the time, but I really enjoyed how you guy's played. You always put on a great show, and most times it could have been a coin flip to see who wins tonight.

truth be told i was always a skyliner fan. i knew hy, winky, wes eric. i loved your style. those were great times

Mr. Chan......you just made my day.........Archie, Reilly, Prince, Scout House, Sac, St. Kevins, Bon Bon's and more from the mid 50's.

The arm swing, signature street times......good memories.

I'm looking for ant film or tape from the 1978 dream, which would include the performance by the Archer Epler Musketeers Alumni corps........the very first successful alumni corps and the only one ever to appear at the Dream.

Hopefully someone can get back to me on this.........

Jimbalaya

Here's some early video footage of the "Dream."

Mr. Chan......you just made my day.........Archie, Reilly, Prince, Scout House, Sac, St. Kevins, Bon Bon's and more from the mid 50's.

I'm looking for ant film or tape from the 1978 dream, which would include the performance by the Archer Epler Musketeers Alumni corps........the very first successful alumni corps and the only one ever to appear at the Dream.

Jimbalaya

"Only Alumni Corps at the Dream":

"Ahem": (Clears throat)..... Really? The Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni actually appeared at the "Dream". This was at the "Dream Contest Resurected" in South Jersey a few years back, right around the 50th Anniversary of the "Dream". I believe the Caballeros field corps won it one year, and Reading won it the other.

I have the T Shirt. b**bs

Elphaba

Jimbalaya

I was at that show and I vaguely remember that!

I also remember Butch Anderson getting out of the limo with the leggy babes! b**bs

And the Bridgemen virtually BLOWING ME AWAY!