Mellophone I&E pieces

MelloSteph

So I never did I&E in Jr. Corps because there was no time to practice... now I've got all the time in the world for DCA I&E and I can't figure out what to play... I should mention I'm playing a G mello.

Should I just go through my French Horn pieces and play it how it is on the page or transpose it? Any suggestions for something particularly interesting? All I've got right now are all my old Mozart's and some Kopprasch etudes from my first year of college when I attempted being a music ed major.

Any input is welcome! Thanks!!

Should I just go through my French Horn pieces and play it how it is on the page or transpose it? Any suggestions for something particularly interesting? All I've got right now are all my old Mozart's and some Kopprasch etudes from my first year of college when I attempted being a music ed major.

Some Kopprasch stuff might be ok. However, I usually think taking trumpet pieces and playing them straight off the page works better than using horn pieces. The mellophone really is more like a trumpet, just in the alto register. These pieces also tend to be in a style that fits what we're used to from mellophones.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a Trumpet piece (played as written and not transposed) would be better for Mello than Horn literature.

Just my opinion.

A slightly unrelated I & E story...

When I taught SCV, I had two students that competed against each other on FH. The first played the Hindemith. He worked his butt off all year to get that bear of a piece together. His competitor played the Beethoven. She had done it at college and worked it up fairly quickly.

They ended up tying for first.

It is not what you play, it is how you play it. Choose a piece that you can max out - play flawlessly (or close to it).

I think a Trumpet piece (played as written and not transposed) would be better for Mello than Horn literature.

Glad someone agrees with me. I think a lot of people think that horn music will translate well since both are alto voice instruments. What they don't realize is that while horn is an alto voice, it also plays into the tenor and bass voices, and a mellophone doesn't (or shouldn't). When thinking about music for mellophone, I think about comparing it to an alto trumpet.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the "Intrada" by Otto Ketting. It's actually written for horn or trumpet and either instrument just plays the written notes without transposing. Since it's an unaccompanied piece to begin with it will work really well for I&E. It's also less than 4 minutes long, so no cuts should be necessary. You should be able to find it with a google search.

Persichetti Parable for Trumpet would not be a bad choice either.

• 5 weeks later...

I always played horn pieces on mellophone at I&E, but I suppose that's because I played french horn at school. I also found it easier to play and got a better sound by using a french horn mouthpiece with an adapter. It took a little to get used to the change from the melly mouthpiece, but it just seemed to work better on the horn pieces I used at I&E. I played a couple of the Mozart horn concertos.

Lol,

I agree it's not what you play it's how. I played Bagpipe music straight from the charts in '98 for the Mello I&E. It was my rookie year, so I was happy scoring in the high 80's. I think 88? Anyhow, you need to realize that a Mellophone by nature is a more conical horn than trumpet. Not as conical as horn however. You really need a mello mouthpiece. Mello 6V is really a nice piece. If you can't scare one of those up, look for a good flugelhorn mouthpiece with the right shank to fit the bugle. I played on a Zig G Mello for four years, and found that the 6V was the best thing to use. You loose body of the sound with a horn mouthpiece, and a trumpet mouthpiece is too shrill and not mello enough. Just ask lagit flugelhorn players if they use a trumpet mouthpiece in their flugel. I don't know anyone (outside of high school) who does that. It's the same concept. Hope this helps...

-Doc

PS- Let me know if you have a hard time finding a 6V. I think I have a couple sitting around.

For I&E Competition I'm Going to take my French Horn. I might be invloved in a Brass Quintet playing a bach piece. We played it for solo & ensemble and made it to state. Our State competition is in Ellensberg, WA on the 29th of April. We think that if we all play the same piece then it will be really good by the time I&E comes around. But to your answer it depends if you are going to to do a solo or a ensemble. If Solo a cool peice is ( for mello or horns)

Sonata for French Horn and Piano OP.17 By Beethoven (My Favorite). For some Enseble pieces I would recomend Actually i dont know because I have only played a few Horn Trios, Quartets, ect. I Really like playing in Brass ensembles and playing solos. I would play a French Horn instead though, but thats me. I hoped i Have helped a little bit. Sorry if I didnt help. here are some sites for good Solos.

Ludwig Van Beethoven: Sonata For French Horn And Piano Op.17

Solos for the Horn Player

jwpepper.com

Edited by tran