DCI Today and Div II/III

MCA

maybe they should try it....people may come. usually, the closest show is 6 hours away in Erie. yet, more people are closer to Allentown than Erie...imagine if you tried Allentown and got 10k...more than D2/3 finals in many years

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has been tried... and not too good results. There used to be the 2/3 International Invitational hosted at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb (same place as DCM Championships and DCI Central Regionals).

It's kind of one of those shows where crickets out-chirped the applause of the 60 or so folks in the stands. :(

Housing is attocious at most shows in 2003more often than not we were in a a total piece of **** school. More specifically 2003:

Orlando - barbed wire surrounding the school with lights that didnt turn out in the gym and fire ants on all three fields. (I recall a phone call with a member of the Bluecoats that year who sais she got fire ants in the worst imaginable spot)

Dallas - #### roaches EVERYWHERE, six inches of water with soccer goal posts and God knows what that green stuff was floating in it in the showers.

Allentown - the school right by the stadium... which was being remodeled. Nothing worked. aproximately 3.21 showers and 31.37 inches of dust on EVERYTHING.

Somewhere in upstate New York - The gym floor (which we shared with Les Stenateurs) was torn up leaving the rough sub floor (complete with random nails) exposed. We actually passed on the approx. 1 hour of floor time there.

It's not just DCI either. At DCM that year the school we were in the guys slept in a room so small every guy was literally partially on top of the guy next to him.

Again, I agree that div 2/3 often, more than often, gets the short end of the stick, but with insurance and things like that nowadays it is next to impossible to secure housing so we often end up with substandard places. I think we need a stronger rallying point that we can make our case with.

Something to think about...

It's easy to complain on message boards that DCI should do more for Division II/III. My challenge to every DCI supporter out there is this:

GO WATCH DIV 2/3!

Yes, you might have to get up early on Saturday morning to get to finals. You might have to go to an out of the way high school stadium. But you will be entertained by great kids doing great things (and it's pretty cheap too!).

DCI will not ignore large crowds of people buying tickets to Div 2/3 shows. So when you take the trip out to Madison in August...make the extra effort to take in the 2/3 shows. You may be surprised by what you see.

Yes, this is all good, but you are "preaching to the chior." The idea behind this Topic is to find ways to help us get that message out to people, and DCI Today would do that.

I had a different experience through finals week. On tour this year, I slept in my fair share of places you wouldn't want to visit without several large men dressed in suits guarding you, as well as a place with cockroaches the size of small cats taking peoples shoes in the middle of the night. But as Finals got closer, correction, during Finals week, the housing sites was suddenly amazing. Finals week we were in a place that HAD A/C, had five working showers per locker room and had great other facilities (a perfect field about a three minute walk away was the highlight). Now, it should be noted that while there were only five showers they were all pressure and temperature controllable. B) Then again that was only the last week. Everything leading up to it was just about as awful as everybody else's stories. Some worse . . .

But at the same time, we also have to examine how all of the different Division II/III corps take care of their housing sites / present their image. If a corps cant keep nice housing sites clean, should they get a nice housing site? If a corps just has "sloppy and immature" written all over it, should it be promoted? I AM NOT saying that that is the image that all, most, or even a few Div. II/III project, nor that they leave their housing sites trashed, but we need to make sure that the image we present as well as the things that we do reflect professionalism 100 percent of the time. If we want to be treated like Div. I's are, we need to make sure that what we are doing is every bit, and probably more based off of our current treatment, professional than what the Division I corps do. The only way to get noticed is to make it impossible for someone NOT to notice you. Preferably in a good way.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by mello118

well, no offense, but there have been horrible mistreatment of facilities by big name D1 corps.

has anyonegone to DCI and asked how to do more?

This isn't really pertinent to what we're discussing right now, but I recently sent an e-mail to DCI asking them if they were planning to include any Division 2/3 corps members in their "Aria" interview segment. They said that they were planning on doing it, so hopefully we can look forward to that bit of publicity on the DCI website.

well, no offense, but there have been horrible mistreatment of facilities by big name D1 corps.

I never meant to imply that there wasn't. I simply meant that one way to start getting the type of respect/benefits that Divison I gets, we need to make sure that we are every bit or even more professional than they are when it comes to that type of thing. I didn't mean to imply that big name Division I corps left everything in perfect condition. but, like I said, to change the way we are treated, a good place to start is to make sure that WE as Division II/III corps behave in a manner which can gain no other treatment but the best.

i definitely agree w/ you.

in Fever we have a rule that we make the place look better when we leave than when we got there, and i always try to uphold that rule.

personally, i'm much more impressed by most Div. 2/3 corps than most Div. 1 corps anyways