Donating to a corps

Okay, Here's my story. In the past, I have donated sums of money to certain corps and to Friends of DCI. I do understand when I receive a gift for my donation i.e. tickets, CD's etc.. that the value of these gifts must be subtracted and the remaining portion I can write off on my taxes. My question is, how does this apply when I choose to help out a certain member of a corps who is having a financial crisis? I would like to help them with their tour fees and dues. What documentation should I request from the corps other than a receipt? And for their non profit status to be considered valid, do I need to make a check out to the corps and then state where and who that money is be earmarked for? Since I do not want any gifts in return, can I deduct the entire amount for my taxes? Any help would be appreciated. Thankx

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am certainly not a tax expert, and someone may come on here and correct me. But, my understanding is that a donation that benefits a specific person is not tax deductible. So, a donation to pay part of John Q Tenor's dues is not tax deductible, but a donation to a general scholarship fund is (the person who receives the scholarship is chosen through some other process).

The reason is that a donation for a specific person's dues isn't really a donation to the organization. It's a donation to the person.

Brad

You can probably get around the whole situation by donating the money to the corps, and requesting it to be specifically put towards that certain members tour fees. I don't know for certain if that would work, but I'm sure whichever corps the member belongs to will be willing to help you out in that aspect.

I am certainly not a tax expert, and someone may come on here and correct me. But, my understanding is that a donation that benefits a specific person is not tax deductible. So, a donation to pay part of John Q Tenor's dues is not tax deductible, but a donation to a general scholarship fund is (the person who receives the scholarship is chosen through some other process).

The reason is that a donation for a specific person's dues isn't really a donation to the organization. It's a donation to the person.

Brad

Brad, with all due respect, that may be incorrect, inasmuch (as example) a person can give to the United Way and then specify which nonprofit within the United Way they would like it to go to. Or a corporation can donate funds to be targeted directly to specfic needs to the corps, (i.e) corporation x would like to donate x amount of dollars to fund new drums, etc. A person can donate and specify they want it to offset the educational needs of this X named student. Fully permissable to the best of my knowledge.

Non-Profit Rule #1 Never turn down legit money/funding...make it happen.

Non-Profit Rule #2 See Rule #1

Edited by bill

Whoohoo Tax question . . . ok sorry I'm just in the middle of 65 hour work weeks until April 15th so I get excited when its actually a fun question!

It is definately deductible BUT only if you give it to the group directly and not the individual. I'm sure the corps can give you whatever letter or documentation. Its ok if its for a certain member but the check has to be written to the corps itself.

Oh and just to make sure I was right I just checked with my manager :)

Ok back to the world of "real" tax work . . . :)

This was posted while I was writing my last post. I guess I was wrong. But, as all good non-profits write on their materials. Consult your tax advisor. ;)

Exactly :)

Oh and I can totally understand why you would think the way you do. However, the dues go to help the corps ultimately. Even if it helps the kid out by them not having to pay for themselves, the corps is the one actually using the funds :)

Exactly :)

Oh and I can totally understand why you would think the way you do. However, the dues go to help the corps ultimately. Even if it helps the kid out by them not having to pay for themselves, the corps is the one actually using the funds :)

Thank you all for your help. I'll check with the corps themselves. I think my other option could have been to give the money as a one time gift. I think there is a provision somewhere along those lines that allow you to give up to a certain amount of money to anybody you deem without the possibility of being taxed? Not sure on that but thanks again!!