Thinking of trying Contra.

Kansan

the mouthpieces i use are either a

Mirafone C4

or

Jupiter AW 40

I picked up a new Bach 24AW for $65.00 dollars. The Halleberg was close to $80.00 dollars.

The Low brass guy at the store recomended it because he thought it would be a good match for our small Contras and would keep a person from overpowering the horn.

Anyway I'm going to keep it aside for anyone who shows up to our practices wanting to play Contra. :wub: We had a couple of guys last month that showed up out of curiosity and had so much fun playing 2 valve bugles, they promised to return. Luckily we had extra mouthpieces that allowed them to take part in our practice session. :whistle:

Edited by Kansan

When I got my Helleberg, it was $66 plus change, tax, et cetera, but still < $70.

I have an LM-10 with a C4 rim, which basically specs out to a C4. For me it's too small. Granted my only reference is a Conn 20J and Deg GG Contra 4 valver. And not being a Tubist/Contra player, I'm probably not adapted quite yet. Coming from Euph, it's too small for me. It plays well, but it's still too small to play the lower end with ease. And what's the point of playing the low end of the pyramid if you can't play the low end with ease? Just my take. The C4 is a nice piece, but the Helleberg STD is better IMO. And for me the Caver, better yet. Although I haven't gotten much contra time on the Caver as of yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I made it through my first year playing tuba last year on a Benge 24 A/W, after the season and I played on a helleberg I wish I had one of those all season.