2003 Boston Crusaders DVD (horn malfunction)

I just caught something on the 2003 DVD of the Boston Crusaders, that some of you might find interesting. During the show, a piece (tuning slide) of either a middle horn or baritone flies off of the horn and is later picked up by the drum judge. I don’t think it’s visible on the multi-camera view, but you can see it on the others.

Here are the details with time codes:

(8:37) A horn player just to the right of the 50-yard line is dancing or acting like a bull or a matador or something. A piece of the horn flies off and lands on the 45-yard line, just behind the front hash mark.

(9:38) The field percussion judge runs over to pick up the piece. If you’re listening to the judge’s commentary, it’s right after he says “good shaping going on.”

Bummer that the player probably couldn’t play the last third of the show…

~Bob Childs

Hey....you just gave me an excuse to watch some drum corps tonight!! Thanks!! b**bs

Wow. Finals performance was ruined for whoever he/she was. That would break my heart. :(

Wow. Finals performance was ruined for whoever he/she was. That would break my heart. :(

Yes, I was bummed for that person. It's particularly unfortunate that he didn't notice it happen when it did, as I think he WOULD have been able to pick up the piece without much distraction from the show. The musicians were pretty much just posing and doing body movement at that point.

Bob Childs

I just watched it.....you can see it best on the Color Guard Cam. Sucks for the performer!!! B)

It's all fun and games until someone loses a tuning slide. Then, HEY! Free tuning slide! :silly:

Had to suck for him.

... that's what rubber bands and thing of that nature are for...

reminds me of a show last year when the Blue Knights where doing that dancing feature during the drum feature and we were waiting for retreat with Capital Regiment and we just see a trumpet mouth piece go flying...oooppps! That was pretty early in their show.. first half

You can see something similar in the Cavaliers 2002 Frameworks show. About 2/3rds of the way through the show the hornline is running in spirals during a drum feature that ends with a rifle toss over the snare line. The horns are staging themselves for a moment called "family photo" where they are clustered into three groups. If you watch the right-most group run, you will see a baritone fall and his horn comes apart. As the snares are performing their feature you can see him trying to work the slide back into the horn. I'm not a brass player but I think the guy told me he couldn't get the slide to move because of internal pressure inside the horn. He'd push it in and it would pop right out. He would have needed to press one of the valves to relieve the pressure. I think it ended up popping out and he left it. A field judge eventually picked it up. b**bs

Edited by Cavie74

You can see something similar in the Cavaliers 2002 Frameworks show. About 2/3rds of the way through the show the hornline is running in spirals during a drum feature that ends with a rifle toss over the snare line. The horns are staging themselves for a moment called "family photo" where they are clustered into three groups. If you watch the right-most group run, you will see a baritone fall and his horn comes apart. As the snares are performing their feature you can see him trying to work the slide back into the horn. I'm not a brass player but I think the guy told me he couldn't get the slide to move because of internal pressure inside the horn. He'd push it in and it would pop right out. He would have needed to press one of the valves to relieve the pressure. I think it ended up popping out and he left it. A field judge eventually picked it up. b**bs

That was 2001 Four Corners when that happened!!

I believe during the introduction of the Glassmen before they show them on the field. They are doing their horn flashes. The trumpets have their horns in playing position then when they come back to the trumpets one of them has his mouthpiece missing from the horn at horns down. Rookie mistake..hehehehe.