Instrumentation

VKCanosUSMCContra

Since this is primarily a brass discussion rather than one specific to junior corps, I'm moving this to the Brass forum.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was explained to me that a Bb mellophone would be an acoustical nightmare. The shortness of the instrument (49 inches or so) and the size of the bell would make it difficult to play in tune. In addition one of the positives of any key is that we can truly have a middle voice in the brass choir between the soprano and baritone.

You're thinking of a mellophonium, a completely different instrument.

simply not true.

"There is a great deal of confusion regarding the nomenclature of this style of horn. Though this horn is generally called a mellophone, it is more correctly labeled a mellophonium. The mellophone is an instrument with a circular wrap (like a concert horn, with the bell facing backwards and down), with piston valves played by the right hand, and pitched in Eâ™­. A further confusion is the existence of the marching French horn, which uses only a French horn mouthpiece and is pitched in Bâ™­, though it appears virtually identical to a mellophonium. Regardless, the correct term has never caught on, and the general term "mello," or more recently, "melli," is often used instead."

read the whole entry in context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellophone

More sources available but much too lazy to dig them up.

Mellophone

mellophone.JPG

Mellophonium

200px-Mellophone.jpg

Mellophone

mellophone.gif

Exactly. That Wikipedia article is incorrect as well, so perhaps Chris or another of those here experienced in the midvoices would edit it?

Exactly. That Wikipedia article is incorrect as well, so perhaps Chris or another of those here experienced in the midvoices would edit it?

Wikipedia needs more than editing. It really distorts the competitive drum corps movement by segmenting into pre-DCI and DCI eras.

This is true, but a few of us are getting ready to change that. Check out the talk pages; we could use help from all the folks here for citing sources and writing up new parts of the articles to come.

I don't know of any company that makes a mellophone in Bb. An F mellophone's fundamental is an octave higher than a F French Horn, the same octave as the High F side of a triple horn or a descant horn. Bb Marching French Horns fundamental is the same as that of the Bb side of a double horn, i believe. Therefore marching with a Bb Marching French Horn would be a nightmare because of all the partials you have to deal with on that instrument. The mellophone has the same set and relation of partials as a trumpet and is therefore much easier to be accurate on and easier to march with.

I don't know of any company that makes a mellophone in Bb. An F mellophone's fundamental is an octave higher than a F French Horn, the same octave as the High F side of a triple horn or a descant horn. Bb Marching French Horns fundamental is the same as that of the Bb side of a double horn, i believe. Therefore marching with a Bb Marching French Horn would be a nightmare because of all the partials you have to deal with on that instrument. The mellophone has the same set and relation of partials as a trumpet and is therefore much easier to be accurate on and easier to march with.

I know Olds' (California Olds) Used to make mellophones in F with an optional Eb main slide. I think you're right I don't think anyone made a Bb mellophone.