Successful Fund Raising Activities

I think I'd get an overwhelming nodding of heads if I said that raising money is one of the top critical issues for starting and maintaining a drum corps, no matter what its size. I'd like to start a string here to discuss what fund raising programs are working and which ones tanked. Where can a new corps go to find funds? What activities have a good return for the amount of time invested? Are there grants available? Is there a good way to go about getting corporate support? What volunteer activities are worth looking into?

I like to respectfully request that everyone who posts here keeps this on topic so it can serve as a resource for us all. A best practices for any Sr./Mini/All Age corps looking to make it financially. OK, this is important, so lets get started and keep focused.

Thanks!

Edited by paparazzi

Event concessions. We have a gig here at the Patriot Center at George Mason University where they host all sorts of events from Larry the Cable Guy (last night) to cheerleading competition (this sunday). We've been doing it for about a year and we are only limited by the number of people I can get to work. A local band booster group has made as much as $17k a year there. It is steady income for us and it can require as few as two people to work an event. Most metro areas have such arenas and many groups use this as a funding source. We get paid 10% after taxes for the revenue the stand we are working generates. Some events are not so great, but then you get pubs for things like boxing matches that are very lucrative.

Before this we tried all sorts of the run of the mill things, but for consistency and potential volume this has worked best for us. Also, check Wal-mart/Sam's. Each store has matching fund discretion for 501 groups. Here they will match up to $1,000 of what you raise in front of the store. I also use this for my scout groups.

If you are doing some sort of hot dog sale on your own, check into vouchers and store reductions at your chain grocers. We often get items donated or store credit for items to purchase. In that vein, have members register their discount cards to send purchase contributions to your corps. Food Lion does this here.

Basically, my experience given the amount of effort required, you can't make enough doing dinners, washes and other assundry low take events to really make up your budget. Of course there are some performance fees. We have a couple of parades that pay us a decent amount.

I have notices other groups sponsoring major events such as golf tournaments, beer festivals, auctions and the like. We don't currently have the number of people required to generate the crowd for those types of events or run it.

As for grant sources, the corps doesn't currently have any, but our community band is funded by the local arts council. Try that route for some funding, but you will generally need to prove other sources of income and a budget that identifies your expenses and sources of income.

Good luck.

We sold tickets for a bowling night. Working with a local bowling alley, they reserved about half the lanes for us based on our sales, which we split with the bowling alley. It was a relatively easy, fun fund-raiser. I highly recommend this one.

As mentioned by others, we also worked with a local grocery store, selling hot dogs at the entrance. The store sold us the food at a discount. It made some money and got our name out there.

Tom Peashey -- Jump in here. Best of luck on the fund-raisers.

Cozy

We sold tickets for a bowling night. Working with a local bowling alley, they reserved about half the lanes for us based on our sales, which we split with the bowling alley. It was a relatively easy, fun fund-raiser. I highly recommend this one.

As mentioned by others, we also worked with a local grocery store, selling hot dogs at the entrance. The store sold us the food at a discount. It made some money and got our name out there.

Tom Peashey -- Jump in here. Best of luck on the fund-raisers.

Cozy

Fastest generator of large chunks of cash: Parades, hands down.

Event concessions. It is steady income for us

This is true but it certainly takes a lot of time and members to do some of the larger events.

When you break it down to a PER HOUR basis,,,each member is only making $3 or $4 bucks a hour.

Some corps have incentives for working these events or makethem pay higher dues if they are unable or UNWILLING to help with fundraising.Other corps make it a requirment in order to march.

Getting members to VOLUNTEER for a steady schedule of fundraising events DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!

Make sure that you set up some sort of rotation or schedule for your members and make it mandatory that they work some events or find other ways for them to contribute to the corps..Otherwise you are only have a fraction of the membership participating in fundraising while the rest get off with a free ride.

Thanks for all of the great ideas, just the kind of thing we're looking for. Basically, we're trying to find a way to fund the purchase of horns, especially contras and baris. As these are big ticket items, does anyone have thoughts on sponsorships or corporate support?

We're also a mini corps, so we don't have a lot of members (yet!).

Adult members of Gulf Coast Sound have been working in various security positions at the Reliant Stadium in Houston. We have work Texan and College Bowl games as well as the annual Rodeo. Depending on the number of people working, we make a minimum of $6/hour per person and as much as $7.25/hour per person.

Fastest generator of large chunks of cash: Parades, hands down.

Good point! I totally agree, but it's a regional thing. Texas corps make long sojourns to the Chicago/Wisconsin area to cram in a bunch of $-making July parades. Our southern Ohio corps made $450 from the few parades that paid. The St. Pat's Parade in Cincinnati actually charges an entry fee. We traveled to the Pittsburgh area, 5 hours, to make $1500.

If one is fortunate enough to make lotsa parade fees, they should go for it. Heck, march in it twice. Lincoln Way, IL, HS, used to (still does?) march the beginning and end of one small town parade.

Cozy