Xeno or Strad?

OwA

I plan on buying a trumpet within the next few days, which is a better horn all around a yamaha xeno or a bach strad, I play well on both can't tell much of a diff I'm leaning towards Xeno but a Strad would be a safty horn being that they are so popular, anyone have a reason why I shouldn't buy the yamaha?

I plan on buying a trumpet within the next few days, which is a better horn all around a yamaha xeno or a bach strad, I play well on both can't tell much of a diff I'm leaning towards Xeno but a Strad would be a safty horn being that they are so popular, anyone have a reason why I shouldn't buy the yamaha?

It depends on what your budget is. You pretty much get what you pay for with trumpets. But even the same model can play differently from horn to horn. If you can swing $2300.00, I would recommend a Flip Oakes Wild Thing. ^0^

I own three Strad's...

one custom Bb: 37 light weight bell standard leap pipe made in 1952.

one standard Bb 43: HEAVY Weight bell reversed tuning slide xl bore made in 1996

one flughel Bb: 183 last series made in Flughel.

I love all my horns. I know people who swear by Schilke, Yamaha, Benge, and others. I have played on yamaha horns that have never been seen in public thanks to a teacher who is a Yamaha sponsor.

What I recomend is spend the time and play around... you may find another make you like better. I prefer my strads... but that is me.

Cullen.

Also depends on what type of music you are going to be playing. I personally, don't have tons of money to spend on 3 different horns, so I really like my Bobby Shew Yamaha because it transcends styles really well, and is an all around good horn. I'm not an expert, but my experience is that Strads are good horns for your legit playing, but for jazz or even marching aren't the best. Plus I think they are way overpriced, but that could be just me.

:angry:

It really depends on your ability and style. I have a Bach Strad. Its awesome, but i got a heavy bell and larger bore than standard. Other people dont' sound good on my horn. But my sounds is, not to brag, but fairly awesome as well, now only if i were actually good. I'm also not a fan of Yamaha, i don't like any of thier brass, they feel tight to me. So thats my thoughts, do with them as you will.

The best way to buy a trumpet is to play as many as possible and buy the one that suits you. You will find differences from horn to horn, even in the same make and model. If you are on a tight budget, do not overlook used instruments. As far as buying a Yamaha or Bach, it is really up to you.

Buying a professional model trumpet can bring about a lifelong relationship. My Bach Strad 72* bell and I have been together since 1974. That beauty was carefully selected from the inventory at Giardinelli's when they were in NYC. At $294 it was quite a bargain. We have been through alot together and she has never let me down.

Good luck in finding a great horn. :angry:

The thing is that Yamaha seems to be on the consistent side of things. If you don't like one yamaha, your not going to like any others, and vice versa. Thats what I have been told.

I personally own a Strad. There are alot of different feels to them, even within a certain model. Shop around. NEW HORNS ALWAYS AREN'T BEST! Make sure you play more than one! :P

I do not like Bach. Never have, never will. Highly overated instruments. Not really bad horns but just mediocre in my opinion.

Yamaha is a good trumpet. I like the Shew model.

I play a Calicchio trumpet. If you have the money you should get one of these. I have not played a better Trumpet, and I tried dozens before I decided.

I too play on a calicchio, and man that is one of the best horns out there. Very open, nice big sound. If you play alot of jazz get the Studio 2 if you play more legit stuff get the clasic 7. I have the studio 2 and use it for everything, maybe a little bright, not too bad but brighter than a strad, but if you throw a 1 1/2 c in that puppy you get a nice darker sound Great horns, you will not be dissapointed. But if your too choices are The Xeno or the Strad i'd get a 72 Strad, well maybe a a Xeno with a gold wash bell, or maybe ...hahaha i cant deide. Both are good horns.

Personally,

I'm partial to the old custom made Benge's. The new ones lick balls, but the old custom made trumpets are sweet. I have played many of the new yamaha's, strad's, etc, none of them compare to the 1972 benge that I bought 3 years ago. It sits in the sweet spot in any register of the horn, and has the sweetest sound to it. If you can find someone who knows what to look for in a Benge (there are a lot of ####ty ones out there, and this has given them a bad rep with a lot of people), then I would reccomend buying one of them. Its a beautiful horn to play on. It felt like what playing trumpet should feel like when I first picked it up, if that makes any sense.

Cheers