i need some help

Think of how much easier this could have been had you worded your thoughts and opinions like this in the first place. I believe some of us have been saying this from beginning, before getting sidetracked comparing resumes and other irrelevant nonsense.

Absolutely.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

say u will get into shape or get into better shape

I was in the same boat you are last year, and my parents actually knew what drum corps was, and my mom and I always went to the Orlando show. But they always said I was too young, or it was too expensive, or I wasn't mature enough. So after they told me I couldn't last year. I got a summer job, and intensified my workout schedule and stuff, and made sure my grades were up and everything so they couldn't really say anything against me being ready. Also I contacted the director of the corps who was very thorough and encouraging to me. And I got in touch with a couple members and their parents who were also very encouraging. In the end (though I have to pay my fees by myself) my parents let me audition this year. And as for younger teens not being ready for it (I'm only 16 in a top 12 corps) if you want it bad enough, and you work hard enough, nothing can stop you. Yeah crap happens at camps and stuff, but get over it, its no worse than in our high schools nowadays! So good luck with your parents, and I hope you get to audition and march. If you need anymore help email me, and I'll help out or get your parents in touch with mine. I know how frusterating it can be, but if you hang in there and don't give up they'll see how serious you are.

Think of how much easier this could have been had you worded your thoughts and opinions like this in the first place. I believe some of us have been saying this from beginning, before getting sidetracked comparing resumes and other irrelevant nonsense.

I just dont see how someones opinion is irrelevant when it comes to the value of the activity, especially when I prefaced everything I said with where I was coming from. Just to make sure, I even went back to read the whole progression of this topic from the beginning to make sure that I did. Maybe it is irrelevent to you and some others becuase you (and they) dont agree. Maybe I should have known better than to suggest that drum corps is anything but the greatest artform and example of music education going on a forum about DC. My mistake.

I also dont know why it is irrelevant to list my experience (you call it my resume) in the activity when someone suggests that I have no idea (or credibility) about what I am talking about. My mistake.

As far as sidetracking goes (like this topic definately did)...I have been a member of DCP for less than a week and I have noticed that topics getting sidetracked is almost a certainty. I guess the lesson to be learned is getting sidertracked is totally fine as long as long as you dont ever suggest that DC is anything but perfect for youth. My mistake....it will never happen agin

Edited by dciguy1999

For what it's worth I went on my first tour at 15. I was on the young side for the corps I traveled with. It was a "big boy" corps -- top of the food chain at that time. In fact we won DCI twice the years I marched so I feel that I saw the intense side of drum corps. Did I see things I shouldn't. Sure. Did I do things I probably shouldn't have. Certainly. Do I regret any of it. Not for a moment. I matured. I learned to be responsible not just for myself but for others and I learned that if you work hard enough you can achieve just about anything. The principles and values I developed along with the life long friendships I gained are fundamental to who I am today. I wouldn't have missed it for all the world.

You learn things in drum corps that have nothing to do with drum corps.

Keep working on Mom ... take her to the DCI website ... better yet, get your hands on a recruitment film (SCV has one and I'm sure others do too) ask her to watch it. If your band director supports drum corps, ask your bd to talk with Mom. I think Mom will discover that there's a lot for you to gain from the experience.

Good luck!

I'm 15, and planning on marching corps in '06 for my first summer. I may be just a "young'un," but from what I've experienced about corps life, I love it. I'm often told that I look older, and behave more like a 20 year old than a 15 year old. I don't run around during practice playing grab***, and I don't create disturbacnes just for the heck of it. Most of my friends are a few years older than I am, and I would like to think that I'm definitely not what one would call an irresponsible kid.

I believe I'm ready to be with a corps, and my parents obviously think so as well. Similar to a previous poster, the opinion that has mattered the most to me is my mothers. Of course she is slightly nervous about me going away for 2 months, but she believes me when I say that I'm ready for it. My band director didn't take me seriously when I said I wanted to learn a brass instrument to join a corps, and most other people didn't either. But that was 7 months ago, and through hours of practice each night I have gotten myself to a level where I believe I'm ready to join a corps. I have already decided to myself that when I get back, I will not give any suggestions during practice, and I won't make comparisons like "Well in DRUM CORPS we did things THIS way." I don't want to bug my director, and I don't want to be a cocky little annoyance.

I have practiced 1-3 hours a night, nearly every night since September. I have gotten a private instructor, and have also been busy with regular concert band, marching band, winter drumline, jazz band, music theory, and voice training. Go ahead and tell me I'm not serious about music, at least for someone my age. I realize that drum corps will most likely not be the pinnacle of my musical career, if that's even the career I choose. But as of now, I enjoy every second that I'm working with music.

I realize that I may be an exception to the rule. There are many kids my age whom I would not trust with anything. However, there are many 21 year olds(and older) who behave like 10 year olds.

As for the original poster, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Show your parents that you are serious about joining a corps. Most likely like yours, my parents thought that this "corps thing" was just an activity I would lose interest in within a month or two. But I kept going, and practicing, and they saw that I wasn't giving up. Don't just tell your parents you are responsible, SHOW them. Do chores without being asked, keep your grades up and above what's average (that means nothing below a high B), and generally just don't do anything stupid like most other kids our age would be doing.

Good luck.

Edited by flashofthunder

But now, with your last few posts, you've taken a new direction. Your last post above centers on the after effects of tour and the members' attitudes and musical abilities. In your opinion (and apparently according to you, many of your colleagues' opinions), younger members come home with bad musical habits and attitudes, creating problems in their respective ensembles in high school and college. Here's the problem I have with that, besides the fact that it really is irrelevant to this topic...

1. It's not just younger members that suffer this "diva" problem. Why single them out? Older members can have the same attitude and experiences. Suggesting that that is a problem solely for younger members is IMHO, irreponsible.

Well, in his defense, people do mature as they get older. Most kids of 14-16 are not the same emotionally and maturity-wise as they will be at 19-21.

His experience happened in the late 80's with the band I work with (since 94)...the director steered some of his members to a top div I corps, abnd when they came back to band after tour they basically tore the band apart with their bad attitudes. The band became highly polarized and fought constantly. It took them about three years to recover after that experience. The director, who likes drum corps a lot, has never pushed marching corps to his band members since that time.

Other times I have known of great experiences with returning kids. It depends on the kids themselves and how the corps prepares them to return to their band programs.

My mistake....it will never happen agin

And this ridiculous hyperbole continues. Forgive my bluntness, but get over yourself.

Just for the record, the first person to question someone's credibility in this topic was YOU when you prefaced your second post with a remark about how you're older and more experienced. And the "irrelevant nonsense" to which I was speaking had to do with all the flaunting of experience and pedigrees and the bogus John Wayne bravado of "You don't want to keep score with me" bull####. Stuff that had nothing to do with your actual opinions on the topic, which, as you wrote so elegantly in that paragraph describing doing research with your parents, etc, show that you actually came around to AGREE with what many of us have been saying all along.

Yes, there IS a lesson to be learned here. Choose your words wisely. Especially in a topic such as this. You can be as opinionated as you like around here. Just don't get all bent out of shape when somebody calls you out for the words you've chosen. Later in the thread, you went out of your way to point out how your philosophy was "some not all," yet the words you chose in the beginning contradict that. You went from phrases such as......

"I am a little bit older and more experienced in this topic...Drum corps is not an activity for children."

"...to think otherwise is foolish at best."

"No child of 15 or 16 is ready for the things that happen on tour."

"...corps is only for adults and i will stick to that statement till I die."

"When you are older you will agree with me without a doubt."

"You dont want to keep score with me."

"Suggesting that all or even most corps are safe and worthwhile experiences for young students is in my opinion either clueless or irresponsible."

To.....

"If you want to march corps that is great. I suggest that you and your parents take the decision very seriously and research as much about it as you can. One of the previous posters said that 'drum corps changes your life.' Even though she has yet to march corps for a summer (tottaly different discussion right there) SHE IS RIGHT. With that being said you should do a ton of homework on the subject and dont just look at the positive side.....If you do look at all sides and your decision and your parents decision is to march than great. An informed decision is almost never going to be the wrong decision. Good luck."

That's quite a turn around in the manner to which you've chosen to express yourself, not to mention an alteration of your initial core argument. And one I'm glad you made. You certainly have a lot of insight to offer. It's clear to see that you understand that life (certainly life in drum corps) is rarely filled with absolutes. And circumventing the pitfalls that can happen along the way is something we all have to deal with sooner or later. I think it's safe to say that the people here are not suggesting that drum corps is the "perfect activity" for youth without any flaws, drawbacks, scars or warts. And yes, people should be made aware of what those drawbacks are. They'll most likely hear about them from their band directors, or private music teachers, or even their parents. It's not an activity that is suited for everyone.

I, for one, appreciate the input you have to offer. It may not seem that way, but I do. Sometimes, we ALL need to get over ourselves. If this is how it goes for you after one week, you're actually doing well. It could always be worse. It could be RAMD! b**bs

I hope you stick around and participate in more threads.