CALLING ALL OHIOINS!

A few people read my post of the same title one year ago and ended up having the summer of their lives, so read on!

This message is for people who aged out of DCI or for younger people who want to hone their skills before trying out for a junior corps. I aged out of DCI in 2002. Last year I was missing drum corps in a serious way and decided to try out senior corps, or what is now known as all age corps. There is a popular point of view among kids in junior corps that senior corps do nothing but drink and goof off and that they all sound like garbage and march like oompa loompas. Not knowing any better, this opinion rubbed off on me. When I went to my first Brigadiers camp I had never so much as seen or heard an all age corps perform, so I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! The instruction was the same calaber that I received in junior corps and the members took it just as seriously. And it sounded GREAT! Who knew? When one of the vets played a finals CD for me my jaw was on the floor! I knew I had come to the right place. After a few camps I realized that this was going to be way closer to a junior corps experience than I ever expected. I had been suffering major drum corps withdrawl for three years and was finally getting the fix that I needed so desperately! For anybody who doesn't know, the Brigadiers are a five time DCA world champion!

Last year we had an Ohio group that traveled to Syracuse to march in this corps. It was crazy but we made it work and had the time of our lives. Our youngest member of the Ohio group was 17 and the oldest were in their forties. We were quite the motley crew!! This year I'm looking to resurrect a new Ohio group! And the good news is that we are traveling way cheaper than last year! We found a way to rent vehicles cheap. The more people we get, the cheaper it will be! Right now we are three people with two other possible people. The more the merrier!

If you are a recent age-out then it is a no brainer that you can participate. But here's some personal messages for the young and old:

To older age-outs: One thing I commonly hear from older DCI vets is that you've been out of the game too long to do it again. Well let me tell you about two rookies I recruited last year. Gerald marched in 85 Cavies and 86 Star, and he hadn't marched since then. Don marched 80 and 81 Phantom and hadn't marched since then. They both came to the Brigadiers last year and did great! Do you think it might be an amazing thing to once again experience the thousands of cheering fans and an intense comradery that cannot be found anywhere else in the world? You might just owe it to yourself to find out.

To younger people: Many teenagers think that you must be over 21 to march senior corps. This is not true at all. We have quite a few high school kids in the corps now! In fact, we love getting high school kids because of their physical capabilities and positve attitudes. If your dream is to someday march in a top 12 DCI corps but don't feel confident enough to audition yet, marching all age corps is one of the best ways to prepare yourself! Young members of last year's Brigadiers made it into the Cadets and the Boston Crusaders this year. And what I'm most proud of is that one of the Ohio kids just made it into the Bluecoats! Because of their experience in the Brigadiers they knew exactly what they needed to do in their auditions to impress the staff. I only wish I had that kind of experience when I first tried out for Bluecoats. Let's just say that things would have gone way smoother!

If you're reading this and are even slightly interested, send me a PM and I'll give you all the information you need. The show this year is so amazing that mere words cannot do justice. We still have spots open and it's going to be an awesome hornline! Come check us out! You'll be glad you did.

There is also a van coming from Ohio to CRU. Just keep in mind there is other options open.

Joe , this post was put on by Syaracuse to get players for their corps. It,s my feeling that you should have started a new topic to seek people from Ohio for Cru. Let,s be some what classy and not cash in on other people,s topics . Sorry Syaracuse and best of luck this year. :) Papa Paul

Joe , this post was put on by Syaracuse to get players for their corps. It,s my feeling that you should have started a new topic to seek people from Ohio for Cru. Let,s be some what classy and not cash in on other people,s topics . Sorry Syaracuse and best of luck this year. :) Papa Paul

My thoughts exactly. Thanks Paul and good luck this season!

Great post, Evan! Let me say a little something about our Bluecoats alumni. We had a parade in March for St. Patrick's Day and it was the coldest I can remember. It was inspiring to see Evan and Ian, two of our Bluecoats alums marching like it was finals -- with perfect technique --down a bitterly cold street. It's obvious that Bluecoats wouldn't have it any other way. Oh, and the spectators were mostly an unorganized, St. Patty's Day mob. They would have been easy to impress with almost any technique. I'm proud to march with them. They're leaders in many ways. Ian was the Soprano Section Leader last year to give you just one example. They make me feel good about the future of our corps.

OHIOins! If you're lucky enough to catch a ride with Evan Kleve from the midwest, you're in for a treat...he's one of the funniest guys on the planet. He's good people.

Scott Mescon

Fellow Lead Sop

Brigadiers 1993-

Our next camp is this coming weekend! There is still time to contact me if you're interested in checking us out!

OHIOins! If you're lucky enough to catch a ride with Evan Kleve from the midwest, you're in for a treat...he's one of the funniest guys on the planet. He's good people.

Scott Mescon

Fellow Lead Sop

Brigadiers 1993-

He is serious, I had the pleasure of riding with Evan and the Ohio crew many times last year. He was the first Brigs member I truly got to know. Evan is one of the funniest people I've ever met, he was always smiling/laughing and fun to hang around with. You'll never be bored around him. send him a message if your intrested in riding with him.

I'm not trying to divert this post but I'd like to say, keep this acticity we love growing, JUST MARCH!!!

Dan Lucore

Edited by iloveto8va

• 2 weeks later...

Next camp is April 22-23!! Do you want to be there? Send me a PM! Something I may not have mentioned: If you live near I-90 anywhere between Syracuse and Cleveland, we can probably pick you up if transportation is an issue. So this is for you PA and NY people as well!