Guards and WGI

I think another reason for the guard to usually start after indoor season is their staff. Most staff are with groups that are involved in winter guard. Not to say they aren't able to do both but they might be stretched thin depending on their responsibility with the corps guard.

zackiedude, I agree with you. If they did have camps every month or so for the guard, who's to say they are improving if you are only seeing them once or twice a month (if they aren't marching wg)? If the person is marching winter guard, they are better off than not marching. But I wouldn't say it's a necessity. It just helps smooth the transition into field and with learning the show quicker. They'll get the training they'll need for the summer (enough to mold into what field staff want) and just be that much more ahead when they are with the corps full-time.

jflv

I may be talking out of my butt here, but it's always been my impression that in the guard world, winter guard is king and drum corps is a distant second. If you forced a choice, you'd be losing a lot of the best staff and performers.

Huh.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement...I think you have it backward. Of course, Corps season is usually over before winter guard starts...and it's winterguard that overlaps corps rehearsal season.

Of course, I'm so out of it in terms of guards these days that I couldn't honestly tell you...

I may be talking out of my butt here, but it's always been my impression that in the guard world, winter guard is king and drum corps is a distant second. If you forced a choice, you'd be losing a lot of the best staff and performers.

I do know a lot of people who only want to march winter but have only met one person who only wants to march corps (these are people's desires, not what is actually possible due to time/money/location, etc.).

Well The Blue Devils put out a World class winterguard for years, and it paid off in their summer offerings. They still have a really good open class winterguard.

Vanguard has a wintergaurd this season, and rumer has it that Phantom will be doing it next summer.

I think the winterguard/drumcorps combo is a great way to go (remember the great Cavalier winterguards?)

Later,

Mike

Huh.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement...I think you have it backward. Of course, Corps season is usually over before winter guard starts...and it's winterguard that overlaps corps rehearsal season.

Of course, I'm so out of it in terms of guards these days that I couldn't honestly tell you...

Jsut some thoughts:...

WG is king..it is cheaper for kids to do, and you don't have to deal with the summer/outdoor elements.

WGI also allows designers a huge creative playground. Drum corps, by nature, does not offer quite as much creative freedom.

To boot, there are many who march in a WG who want nothing to do with the intensity of a drumcorps summer.

Most of the "studs" in any corps guard spend all year doing CG..Teaching or marching in a band in the fall, WG in the winter/spring and DC in the summer.

If you were to go to any upper echelon corps guard, they are chock full of kids that marched on a World or Open Class WGI guard..IE BD: James Logan and Fantasia; Cavies: Pride of Cincy, etc; or Crown: Pride of Cincy or Oracle, etc.