Buglers Hall of Fame

OK, we all know there are some incredible players in the Buglers Hall of Fame and no doubt they all belong there and many of them have such colorful personalities.

There are many more incredible players that just go about their business without all the hoopla and never get recognition - maybe they're just a section player, but really, really good.

Who would you nominate as a behind the scenes, strong player that either shines on solos or just makes the section sound so good.

In our corps, Bucs Alumni, I would say, Ned, and Althea on mello and Art, Mike, and Willie on Bari, and Al and Steve and Sarah on Contra. I would hope I add to the sop section. Randy Mutter on soprano always there and knows all the solos too.

I can remember Ted Brehony from Brookhaven that later taught Crossmen. Awesome player. Bart from Blue Rock and later Bucs, (yes, I know Cindy) Wow, now that I start thinking. Lots and lots of candidates!!! Who are some of your favorties?

Edited by Martybucs

Interesting Idea, but what's the point? Any Hall of Fame is there to stroke egos. In this case, mostly sops.

What's the difference between a lead soprano bugle and a contra?

None, They're the same size. It's the lead player's head that makes it look smaller.

Apparently there must be no point, but I thought it would be a chance to recognize some of our friends that never get that pat on the back. What do they call that in the factory? An "Attaboy" award or something like that.

Funny joke. I hope it was a joke. I'm a sop and sometime soloist and my hat always fits.

Many a humbling moment makes sure of it.

I just thought of another player some of you might remember. Joe Weglarz from Phila.PAL, Brookhaven, and Bucs. "Big Joe" would take about 5 minutes to set his chops all the while he was inhaling and the volume when he released all that air was earthshattering. When we auditioned for Bucs in 1975 in the stinky men's room of the PAL on 6th street in Reading Tony Yaklich had us do two octave scales and such and then double tongue two octaves. When asked about Joe, He said it was like razor blades cutting through him. He was a one man soprano section!

Just a little point of order:

In the particular case of the Buglers Hall of Fame the purpose is to honor achievement, rather than stroke egos, and the criteria are two -

1. acknowledged excellence in bugle performance

2. long lasting influence on the art of bugling

The following members epitomize both, and none are sopranos:

Bill Hightower

Bobby Gaff

John Simpson

Ruben Ariola

Cliff Richmond

John Chalmus

Ted Sasso

Bonnie Ott Thompson

Buzzy Bergdoll

While it's true that most members are sops, it is useful to recall that high brass is the largest section in any hornline.

The Buglers Hall of Fame is a way of honoring our collective history, and those who influenced it.

I guess I should have called the thread Buglers Hall of Infamy. I meant no disrespect to those actually in the bonafide Hall of Fame. Only meant to point out that any Hall of Fame tends to be populated by the insiders of an organization and thus the members tend to be a reflection of that. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm sure there is nothing less than the best in said Hall of Fame.

I was just thinking of those buglers I have known through the years that will never be known to the population at large because, although they were incredible players, they were not part of the inner circle or just not as visible as those destined to be included in such a Hall of Fame.

I am a soprano player, but I know that there are great players on all the brass in this activity in every section. Who, that know him, wouldn't say Danny Fitzpatrick is an incredible french horn bugle player? Why you would be one is another story.

Can you think of someone that probably won't make it into the Hall of Fame, (don't jinx anyone) that you admired as a player and why? I was hoping for stories like that.

My sincere apologies to anyone that took offense or umbrage at the idea of the post. Like I said, I should've thought more about the title.

If you had your own fantasy hornline, who that you have known, would you want in it?

The intent of the first post was clear all along. I took no umbrage.

There are many heroes in drum corps who don't get public recognition, starting with the person who sits in the stands and provides encouragement to the players, the equipment/uniform folks, the ones who write checks to pay the unexpected expenses...etc.

But you are referring to the solid-citizen performers who make up 95% of the corps, who show up on time for every practice, go out of their way to help others and/or simply lead by example. As an instructor, I have learned to value desire over talent every time. The motivated person with average ability will ultimately achieve beyond the "star" whose committment is not total. Consistency is the single most important virtue for a performer. I have known many like this and they all have my respect.

Naming names sometimes embarrasses these folks. They feel they're just doing their jobs. They are, and a few other jobs, too. Here's to the line players.

I agree with the tribute to line players. It is not until you have been in front of a hornline as an instructor that you really say to yourself, "####, these guys are good!" It is a privilege.

I think there may be some that don't mind being named as long as it is not done embarrassing way.

Anyway, I guess a tribute to the line players would be a fitting end to this thread.