trumpet prices . . . . .

TCHSBandNerd09

just a little update for everyone . . .

if you've been keeping up with this thread, ive been offered a strad for 1400, and its one of the old ones

im either going to try n get that, or ive been looking at the lightweight strad

might as well keep this in the same thread . . . . whats the difference between 37, 43, and 72 bach bells?

anyone?

-austin

37 is the standard "legit" sound. It is the bell of choice in the orchastra halls and most Bach players.

43 bell has a brighter/broader sound. Unless you have a naturally dark tone, you will stick out in a concert band setting. I've seen the 43 bell usually in Jazz Band settings.

According to the Bach catalog, the 72 bell has a "dark,tutonic" sound. I find it to be darker then the 43 and more mellow. If I was playing legit, I would still use a 37 bell just because I can push that and get a little "dark edge" when I need to. I find the 72 to have lyrical smooth sound but I can't do things to it that I can on a 37.

Speeking for myself, I find the lightweight Bach's very touch and way to bright for me. They sound like an old Benge (which I had) but do not play as well.

Scott Steward, torn8o on dcp has a couple of bachs and trust me, a darn good player. Might want to pm him for advice too.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're seriously looking into a bach and not sure which model, this is what I would suggest:

Find a music store with a large trumpet inventory and play a bunch. Play about a dozen of each model and see which one you seem to lean toward. Then play some more of those. You can get into the whole argument about whether all the horns are different because they're horribly inconsistant or because they build different horns different people will like, but either way you look at it they are all different and you should never just order one over the phone and assume it will play a certain way. One of my horns is a laquered 25R 239 GH large bore C. A friend of mine had the exact same everything, including a close serial number, but it was a completely different horn. The other advantage of going somewhere with a lot of horns is they often have better prices than a normal shop that only has one 37, two 72s and heard they're getting a 43 next week.

In addition to the three bell flares, you can choose from sterling silver, yellow brass, rose brass, ml, l, xl, and v (step bore), normal and reverse lead, silver and laquer also. The weird thing is these things sometimes don't do what you think they will. I've played bright xl bore 72s, dark lightweight 43s, and so on. It pays to play horns until you find something, no matter what model, material, and finish.

Edited by John Schmitt

well thank you john, if i hadnt already bought a horn, id probably go do that this weekend.

another update . . . . . i got a strad 180 lightweight with 72 bell for a little over 1000 (somewhere around 1050) off ebay.

i of course made sure the guy had very positive feedback . . . 99.7% positive

the .3 was only one case of negative

and i understand things happen (i have one neg. feedback because i lost my internet access for a week or so after winning a bid)

so hopefully that will be in soon

=D

thanks for all the help guys.

sorry for the unsuccessful sale, horndoc, but i was informed by me parents that 1400 was a little over the prince range

-austin

well thank you john, if i hadnt already bought a horn, id probably go do that this weekend.

another update . . . . . i got a strad 180 lightweight with 72 bell for a little over 1000 (somewhere around 1050) off ebay.

<snip>thanks for all the help guys.

sorry for the unsuccessful sale, horndoc, but i was informed by me parents that 1400 was a little over the prince range

-austin

Austin,

Best of luck with your Bach. As discussed prior, you at least have a horn that will "fit" into most any legit ensemble.

As Jeff Banyots stated, let's hope this horn will inspire you to keep the pucker piece to the chops.