Question about 96 Cadets "HI MOM"

I recently saw a video clip of the 96 Cadets doing a performance

where the Drum Major gets run over by the corps (on purpose)

and then the corps spells out "HI MOM" on the field.

Does anyone know what show that was from...and

what was the music they were playing? (I recocgnized the Sousa piece

but didn't know what the other stuff was)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was for the closing ceremonies of the '96 Atlanta Olympics.

Cool. Thanks. :)

To anyone who hasn't seen that performance.. try and find it. It's cool.

They performed their closer (Copland's Red Pony) with no field lines or anything (at least I couldn't see any).

Cool? COOL?!? Have you even seen this?!?! The actor/performer (I can't remember his name) leading the corps around was completely stupid. The '96 performance was a complete FARCE in the eyes of the whole activity. It practically set the whole activity 10 years back in terms of reputation. Watch it again, with open eyes this time. The Cadets were turned into nothing but a comedic backdrop for the stupid stereotypical "marching band" antics of the actor/performer (who I still can't remember, ######).

Sad day for the activity.

BUT, I'm sure the kids had a great time. I mean, it was the Olympics after all.

Cool? COOL?!? Have you even seen this?!?! The actor/performer (I can't remember his name) leading the corps around was completely stupid. The '96 performance was a complete FARCE in the eyes of the whole activity. It practically set the whole activity 10 years back in terms of reputation. Watch it again, with open eyes this time. The Cadets were turned into nothing but a comedic backdrop for the stupid stereotypical "marching band" antics of the actor/performer (who I still can't remember, ######).

Actually, I don't think Bill Irwin's shtick did any damage....it was very clear to even that most casual observerl that the corps " was HIGHLY skilled....far beyond the average school band.

I thought they did a fabulous job on the biggest stage (both for in-person attendees AND TV exposure) the activity will EVER see.

Funny...10 years later I don't see any sings that Bill Irwin set the activity back all by himself.

Iwas more concerned that the folks watching may have thought he was a legitimate educator...

LOL, that is rediculous!! I hope my corps never does anything as absurd as that!!! :laugh:

Hehe the thing I remember the most from that night, was the commentating(I think it was Bob Costas maybe? with some other guy). They had NO CLUE.....NONE as to what was going on!!!!! If they did, then they sure as #### fooled me BIG TIME. LOL they were thinking this was a SERIOUS thing and did not even get the joke when the guy was run over(more than once if my memory is correct), and when The Cadets wouldn't follow his lead, etc. I guess they were not informed by NBC executives beforehand as to who The Cadets were and to the comedy it was supposed to portray. I couldn't stop laughing just listening to them NOT have a clue even hours after it was over. Talk about classic. :laugh:

LOL, that is rediculous!! I hope my corps never does anything as absurd as that!!! :laugh:

You hope your corps never gets invited to perform in front of a world-wide television audience in an event as spectacularly prestigious as the Summer Olympics?

That must not have been a massive standing ovation the corps got when they performed it in front of a total drum corps audience (in what I believe I remember was a mid-season show in Madison).

I've read so many times that the activity has been set back ten years for this and that and something else that at the moment, we must be entering the Stone Age.