Corps Rookie (Euph)

Euph@SC

Umm Next Season I plan to try out for Carolina Crown on Euph. I was wondering things that would help me prepare for the audtion next year.

I'm Currently using a Bach 6 1/2 AL-S but looking forward to improving my range and tone and plan to switch to a larger mouth piece later on in the year (4G or 5G). I was just asking for tips from some of the vets to help to prepare me for next year.

Thanks

Umm Next Season I plan to try out for Carolina Crown on Euph. I was wondering things that would help me prepare for the audtion next year.

I'm Currently using a Bach 6 1/2 AL-S but looking forward to improving my range and tone and plan to switch to a larger mouth piece later on in the year (4G or 5G). I was just asking for tips from some of the vets to help to prepare me for next year.

Thanks

Practice?

Seriously, you will probably get a lot of replies here on the finer points of playing and possibly marching (well, some "finer" than others...) but why not just email them (the brass staff) and ask how they do auditions? If you gave them a little info about yourself, they might even recommend things for you to work on.

F. G.

(edit: clarity)

Edited by Feet Guru

I'm Currently using a Bach 6 1/2 AL-S but looking forward to improving my range and tone and plan to switch to a larger mouth piece later on in the year (4G or 5G).

The 5G is roughly the same size as the 6 1/2AL, but with a larger more U shaped cup. The Schilke 51D has a deeper cup than the 5G. The Conn 5E Helleberg with even a deeper cup than that. But they're all in that same rim type/size range.

The Marching Euphonium is more like a Bass Trombone in most corps useage. Unless you're in the rare corps that puts their lead players on Euphoniums. In my experience it's mainly 3rd or 4th bari parts you'll be playing, so going with a larger piece is better suited for that end. If you're gonna switch to a bigger one, do it soon. The more time you have on the piece, the better you'll be at using it.

Talk to the destination corps to see if they have a preference for mouthpieces. It sounds like you'll probably do well with a 3G or Mead SM3. I personally needed something even bigger in the 1 1/4G(or H) or LM-35 range.

As far as tips, when on tour, find a buddy good at massage. You'll be needing it for your rookie year on Euph.

alot of running, because i can almost garuntee that your going to get your butt kicked with the extreame physical demand.

• 3 weeks later...

just to add on, that is an amazing mouthpiece so yeah good luck!

I'd recommend a Shilkie 51D. amazing piece for 3rd bari/euph parts. pedals like it's nothing.

yeah i was thinking of switching to that

or either a 53D or LM-35