Non-Brass people learning horn on Drum Corps

So far no sops or contras (OK, OK trumpets and tubas :worthy: ) except for one near miss. All mellis and baris.... intersting and thanks for the responses so far.

Here's your first one!

I was handed a soprano when I first joined the corps, having played sax in grade school. This was also probably because I was only 11 years old, and the baritone would of been a bit much to carry! :)

I started off playing clarinet in high school. Sophmore year one of my instructors approached me about marching corps. I felt it was worth a shot so he gave me trumpet lessons. I started playing trumpet in Oct. and had went to my first camp in Dec. It was worth staying after band practice to become a better trumpet player.

Here's your first one!

I was handed a soprano when I first joined the corps, having played sax in grade school. This was also probably because I was only 11 years old, and the baritone would of been a bit much to carry! :)

Eh, you were probably taller at 11 than I was at 16 when I joined my first (Sr) corps. :P

Oh, and one other thing..... out of our bari/euph line of 22 last summer, there were maybe 8-ish people whose primary instrument was baritone/euph. Almost all the seconds were woodwind players, and we had some high brass people as well, and a couple of percussionists. We even had a first that is a bassoon major. We always joked that we should enter I&E as a woodwind ensemble.

A lot of those people were music majors, or are planning to be music majors. One switcher is actually using euphonium as her primary instrument in college. I think that attests to the AMAZING brass education we got.

It's just really hard to get into a high brass line, plus it requires a stronger set of chops, which take a lot longer to develop. I'd say baritone and mello are the easiest to pick up cold.

Edited by HornlineDiva

As someone who started trombone in 3rd grade (and that sucker cost $150 in 1965.) I just have two things to say to all WW players who picked up a brass instrument.

:huh: AND ^OO^

Thanks for all the input, think this is really a good thing for the future of Drum Corps.