Crossmen 2006 Clip

I like it okay - I'll wait to see it on the field before really deciding.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Crossmen are going to be just fine. I agree with those who are saying at least some corps have the guts to put clips out early season.

As far as their brass sound I am sure that this is not their permanent sound, I can guarantee other corps would sound the same at this point-and I am not talking those corps taht are around the Crossmen level-I am willing to be that some of the "big boys" would be the same.

I was lucky enough to visit the corps this past weekend for our annual Crossmen History Night with the kids (fun time!). I also saw them at Memorial Brass. A few things...

- The stage set up as you can see from that video wasn't exactly the best for performance. The stage was small, and in order to better hear the battery, the brass was literally stacked on top of each other to the side. They had problems hearing themselves the way that was set up. (They sounded MUCH better outside in the lot.)

- Abrupt ending to the opener...The ending to the opener has already been changed. It's a much better ending now, but it will still end abruptly...for a reason. The show is supposed to be like you're getting into a car and going on a journey (notice the very beginning of the show is supposed to sound like trying to start an old car...they've tweaked that too this weekend, and the effect is more obvious). Anyway, the opener is called "Cruisin" based off music from Pat Metheny's CD The Way Up. And at that point in the journey, the trip is cut short. We'll see why as the summer rolls on...

It's a very well thought out show in comparison to recent years, and the design team has done a nice job of maintaining that "road trip" logic and theme throughout.

- The "drum solo" Carribe clip in the video was basically ripped out of its context. That whole section of the show will be like you're in your car flipping through the stations on the radio...a little classical music here, some latin there, some oldies...and some more interesting tidbits. All I will say is that it will be a very interesting part of the show, with much tweaking all summer long, but something that has potential to be VERY VERY cool.

It was good to see them this weekend. They have improved so much in just one short week since Memorial Brass.

Makes me wish I could get on the bus again! :)

(sigh) Back to the 9 to 5 daily grind.

I also was at Spring Training an Monticello New York and can attest to the big strides that the corps has made in a just a week. It is hard to even compare the two Saturdays with each other. At Camp Kutchers this is the first time that the parents, volunteers, and some of the staff had gotten to here 90% of the show all put together.

We had heard just snippets until the Brass concert and it was hard to get the entire feel of the show. They also premiered the Radio Section with the Disc Jockeys adding their comment to parts of the show. Looks like it will work pretty well, but once again we saw it crowded into a tiny little theatre just prior to the yearly History Night that the Alumni put on. It was also mentioned that the Cadets seemed to be so far ahead of the Crossmen at Memorial Brass. Well since they were in Camp a week early we noticed it to, but...Crossmen moved just as far in a week after being at camp. So not to worry Crossmen fans. This is going to be one of the best years for the corps, and they have a great staff this year. I have seen Bobby Jones drill and it is exciting. A

far departure from last year. See how many shapes you can identify!

The radio section will be something special. Something original....this is the first year that I can remember the Crossmen doing something that has never been tried before. It is a very cool concept and is very well thought out. That, with the combination of some very cool drill could mean some good things for this corps.

I also was at Spring Training an Monticello New York and can attest to the big strides that the corps has made in a just a week. It is hard to even compare the two Saturdays with each other. At Camp Kutchers this is the first time that the parents, volunteers, and some of the staff had gotten to here 90% of the show all put together.

We had heard just snippets until the Brass concert and it was hard to get the entire feel of the show. They also premiered the Radio Section with the Disc Jockeys adding their comment to parts of the show. Looks like it will work pretty well, but once again we saw it crowded into a tiny little theatre just prior to the yearly History Night that the Alumni put on. It was also mentioned that the Cadets seemed to be so far ahead of the Crossmen at Memorial Brass. Well since they were in Camp a week early we noticed it to, but...Crossmen moved just as far in a week after being at camp. So not to worry Crossmen fans. This is going to be one of the best years for the corps, and they have a great staff this year. I have seen Bobby Jones drill and it is exciting. A

far departure from last year. See how many shapes you can identify!

Bob a friend of mine and former drum corps alumni of a top corps had this to say about the Memorial Brass performance;

As part of the event both drum corps and guards performed in Allentown's Symphony hall. We were very impressed with Crossmen. I even thought that Crossmen's guard out performed Cadet's guard in their "indoor-guard-like" stage performance.

Bob a friend of mine and former drum corps alumni of a top corps had this to say about the Memorial Brass performance;

As part of the event both drum corps and guards performed in Allentown's Symphony hall. We were very impressed with Crossmen. I even thought that Crossmen's guard out performed Cadet's guard in their "indoor-guard-like" stage performance.

This is true. Cadets guard had a bad night or something....

I saw the rehearsals that afternoon and the Crossmen guard definitely nailed the poop out of their routine. They performed better than any rehearsal that day.

Well, both corps head to New England this weekend. We'll see how much progess they've made since Memorial Brass then.

go here to see the more details about this weekend's events.

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?JServSession...ws_iv_ctrl=1003